Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-06-2013, 05:10 PM   #46
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Many on the list were short stories, not novels. I remember reading a lot of short stories in high school, but there's no way I'd remember the names of the vast majority of them.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:10 PM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I hate CSM. It takes too long to process the quizes and it kills Internet Explorer most of the time. I restarted it three times and couldn't get through it. I was doing pretty good. I got to about 27 the one time. I had read 25% and heard of all but three.
I've dumped MSIE for Firefox and never looked back. I took the quiz without a problem. It's not the site, it is MSIE that's the problem.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2013, 05:20 PM   #48
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
You could probably hold your own in a literary conversation, but perhaps not with today's 15-year-olds.
Uh, right.

Has the author of the quiz actually talked to a fifteen year old? I have to every time I go to work, and I'm lucky to not get verbally abused. They aren't talking about books and litfic criticism; they're talking about lowriders, pimping and hoes, how to crack software and do DOSA takedowns, which teachers they want to get fired, and just about everything BUT their literature assignments.

Edit: They also left Ralph Waldo Emerson, Robert Frost, Mark Twain, Edward Albee, Thackeray (sp?), the Bronte sisters, von Daniken, the Gawain-Poet, Snorri, James Joyce, T.S. Eliot (sp?), and a whole bunch of other authors off the list.

Last edited by teh603; 02-06-2013 at 05:23 PM.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:44 PM   #49
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Certainly it is. My point was simply that authors who are regarded as "essential reading" in one culture are not necessarily so in another. Eg, I suspect that rather few British people have read Steinbeck, despite his (justifiable) fame in the US. I would (at the risk of modesty) consider myself to be extremely well-read, especially when it comes to the classics, but I must confess that I've never read any of his work.
We studied Of Mice and Men at school. Which made hard work of it, as usual. I later read (I'm pretty sure) Grapes of Wrath and thought it was excellent.

What doesn't really cross our paths much, here, is the Pulitzer, I'd say, since it's a fairly inward-looking US prize.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:47 PM   #50
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I seriously doubt there are that many High School students that have read or have heard of many of those books.
I suspect they grabbed a list of "books/poems most often assigned to 9th and 10th graders," and put them all together, instead of trying to make any kind of list of "books ALL 10th graders are expected to have read."
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2013, 05:52 PM   #51
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
Uh, right.

Has the author of the quiz actually talked to a fifteen year old? I have to every time I go to work, and I'm lucky to not get verbally abused. They aren't talking about books and litfic criticism; they're talking about lowriders, pimping and hoes, how to crack software and do DOSA takedowns, which teachers they want to get fired, and just about everything BUT their literature assignments.
Maybe that's what they're talking about where you live, but really...they're not talking about that stuff where I live. The 15 year olds that I know may not all be talking about books and "litfic" criticism outside of English class, but they aren't talking about "lowriders, pimping and hoes, how to crack software and do DOSA takedowns, which teachers they want to get fired" either. They talk about the opposite sex, and music, and what parties are happening that weekend, and who said what to who, and when the next raid is going to be (WOW related). I feel sorry for you that the only teenagers you're exposed to are like that, and I assure you that there are MANY out there who aren't like that at all.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:03 PM   #52
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
They sure have changed what you read in high school. I was in honors and AP English in high school, I received college credit for my English classes in high school. I am not recognizing a good number of the books.
Ditto! I also took honors and AP English in high school. While I heard of a lot of the titles, I never had to read any of them in high school. The two I did read, I read on my own as an adult.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:27 PM   #53
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
What 10th graders where? My 10th and 11th grade granddaughters who both read a lot (and one is an honors student in advanced classes) have not read most of these books. I've read many of them, but am only "sort of well read".

While checking out the books I didn't know I found In The Time of Butterflies by Julia Alvarez for $1.99 at Amazon and B&N. The Kindle edition was published just this month by Algonquin Books. Not available yet in UK. I snapped it up because it looks excellent.

I did especially like to see Killer Angels and Cannery Row on the list. Both are excellent books.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #54
Krykorya
Nameless Being

I didn't take the quiz, but looking at the list, my secondary college was very, ah, sub-par by the standards of this website. I can recall the books that we read in years eleven and twelve: Of Mice And Men by John Steinbeck, Hatchet by Gary Paulsen, The Line by Arch Flanagan, The Secret River by Kate Grenville and The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. In tenth year, we didn't read any books in English; we analysed movies.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:12 PM   #55
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
I got the "you may be well read" comment. Quite a list, but not my cup of tea for the most part. Nor was the list indicative what I was required to read in High School 40 years ago.

I wonder what the required reading was in 1913?
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #56
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
I've read most of those, although I was surprised that there were several I hadn't heard of. I'd read ten by high school, although about half of those were poems. We read a lot of poetry.

But, yeah, the idea that a 10th grader would know more than a couple of these is kind of ridiculous.

Quote:
You're pretty well read

You're familiar with words like 'Bildungsroman,' 'synecdoche,' and 'anagnorisis,' but perhaps not with today's updated literary curriculum.
Spoiler:
Share your results

Post to your wall E-mail your results
Question Your Response
"The Odyssey," by Homer
I've read it

"Metamorphoses," by Ovid
I've read it

"The Nose," by Nikolai Gogol
I've never heard of it

"Candide," by Voltaire
I've read it

"Fathers and Sons," by Ivan Turgenev
I've read it

"The Gift of the Magi," by O. Henry
I've read it

"The Metamorphosis," by Franz Kafka
I've read it

"The Grapes of Wrath," by John Steinbeck
I've read it

"Fahrenheit 451," by Ray Bradbury
I've read it

"I Stand Here Ironing," by Tillie Olsen
I've never heard of it

"Things Fall Apart," by Chinua Achebe
I've heard of it

"To Kill A Mockingbird," by Harper Lee
I've read it

"The Killer Angels," by Michael Shaara
I've read it

"The Joy Luck Club," by Amy Tan
I've read part of it

"In the Time of the Butterflies," by Julia Álvarez
I've heard of it

"The Book Thief," by Marcus Zusak
I've heard of it

"Oedipus Rex," by Sophocles
I've read it

"The Tragedy of Macbeth," by William Shakespeare
I've read it

"A Doll's House," by Henrik Ibsen
I've read it

"Master Harold ... and the boys," by Athol Fugard
I've never heard of it

"Sonnet 73," by William Shakespeare
I've read it

"Song," by John Donne
I've read it

"Ozymandias," by Percy Bysshe Shelley
I've read it

"The Raven," by Edgar Allan Poe
I've read it

"We Grow Accustomed to the Dark," by Emily Dickinson
I've read it

"Loveliest of Trees," by A. E. Houseman
I've heard of it

"Lift Every Voice and Sing," by James Weldon Johnson
I've heard of it

"Yet Do I Marvel," by Countee Cullen
I've never heard it

"Musée des Beaux Arts," by Wystan Hugh Auden
I've read it

"Women," by Alice Walker
I've never heard of it

"I Am Offering This Poem to You," by Jimmy Santiago Baca
I've never heard of it

"I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings," by Maya Angelou
I've read it

"Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: An Indian History of the American West," by Dee Brown
I've read part of it

"Son of the Morning Star: Custer and the Little Bighorn," by Evan S. Connell
I've heard of it

"The Story of Art, 16th Edition," by E.H. Gombrich
I've read part of it

"Cod: A Biography of the Fish That Changed the World," by Mark Kurlansky
I've read part of it

"Black, Blue and Gray: African Americans in the Civil War," by Jim Haskins
I've never heard of it
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:14 PM   #57
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
The Catcher in the Rye is another book that I would have expected on the list. I have been recalling other authors that I read in high school that aren't on this list: Faulkner, Arthur Miller, Orwell, Melville, Chaucer, Thoreau. I remember one of my favorite assigned books was The Count of Monte Cristo.

The earlier posts made me curious what books are studied in other countries like England. I did a google search on recommended books for English A-level, and the results were more typical of what I'd expect and rather similar to American curriculum (more so than this quiz list).
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:25 AM   #58
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
My result said that I was "Pretty well read but not familiar with today's updated literary curriculum".
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:42 AM   #59
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Yes, well. No Goethe, no Dante, no Whitman, no Moliere, not much Shakespear. Not many modern european authors either. I didn't notice if there were any spanish authors. Do I get extra points for knowing some of the poems by heart?
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:00 AM   #60
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
When I was 15 and in honors english I got stuck reading stuff like Pigs in Heaven and Raisin in the Sun. I wanted to read books like 1984 and Starship Troopers, books that ended up sticking with me far longer than the snoozefests we had forced on us.

I wouldn't read most of the books on this list if you paid me.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote