Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 03-19-2011, 11:26 AM   #61
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I have bought a number of books through Barnes & Noble, and for the plugin you need to put in the activation code, which is your name & credit card number. Doing so makes me a little uneasy. Is my information safe?
It is safe. But if it makes you nervous, there's instructions in the README file for an alternate plugin configuration.

Please ask questions like these on the appropriate blog... namely the one where you actually got the plugin. Answers there are usually prompt and friendly -- and have the added benefit of not having to dance around forum rules. Open and specific discussions of DRM removal techniques are not allowed on MobileRead. Taking it to "the source" makes everything easier for everyone.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:38 PM   #62
TheRecneps
TheRecneps has a spectacular aura aboutTheRecneps has a spectacular aura aboutTheRecneps has a spectacular aura aboutTheRecneps has a spectacular aura aboutTheRecneps has a spectacular aura aboutTheRecneps has a spectacular aura aboutTheRecneps has a spectacular aura aboutTheRecneps has a spectacular aura aboutTheRecneps has a spectacular aura aboutTheRecneps has a spectacular aura aboutTheRecneps has a spectacular aura about

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
It is safe. But if it makes you nervous, there's instructions in the README file for an alternate plugin configuration.

Please ask questions like these on the appropriate blog... namely the one where you actually got the plugin. Answers there are usually prompt and friendly -- and have the added benefit of not having to dance around forum rules. Open and specific discussions of DRM removal techniques are not allowed on MobileRead. Taking it to "the source" makes everything easier for everyone.
Thanks for the help.
TheRecneps is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2011, 05:36 PM   #63
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRecneps View Post
I have bought a number of books through Barnes & Noble, and for the plugin you need to put in the activation code, which is your name & credit card number. Doing so makes me a little uneasy. Is my information safe?
It's as safe as your computer. Both calibre and the plug-ins are open source - anyone can read the code and see what it does. So it's very, very unlikely that there's any code in there secretly sending your card info to some server on the internet.

However, calibre does store the configuration info for the plug-ins in plain text, which means that your CC name and number will be stored in plain text on your computer.

You could use the stand-alone DeDRM AppleScript or windows batch file instead. I believe these only store the hashed version of your name and CC number, not the originals. There's no way back to the original CC number from the hash value.

[EDIT: I see DialDealer beat me to it. I guess I'll never remember to check whether there's another page at the end of a thread.]
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:08 PM   #64
theinfamousj
Groupie
theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (pink back)
Just wanted to thank you all for this wonderful and informative thread! Thanks to this, I can now read my legally purchased kindle ebooks on my Kobo. I wish Amazon would just go ahead and allow this without work-arounds, but then again you know what they say about wishes being horses.
theinfamousj is offline   Reply With Quote