Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 03-26-2009, 06:45 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Can longtitle be changed?

I have a book in Lois McMaster Bujold's The Sharing Knife series and according to the command line version of mobi2mobi the longtitle is The Sharing Knife, Volume Four: Horizon.

I also have my computer copy of the Mobipocket reader set to the MyEbooks folder.

I've changed the title with mobi2mobi to Horizon. When I open the computer copy of Mobipocket reader it looks at the file and shows the title as Horizon. But on my Cybook Gen3 the title which shows is the longtitle as above. This is not what I want; I want it to show as Horizon.

So, is there any way to change the longtitle to Horizon?

If it's of any interest the book was bought from Fictionwise, and I've had trouble changing the metadata of their books before. Oddly enough though I was able to change the title of earlier books in the series (also bought from Fictionwise) to just the one word and have it show on my Cybook. The book is published by HarperCollins, so it may be something they have done.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:15 AM   #2
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I have a book in Lois McMaster Bujold's The Sharing Knife series and according to the command line version of mobi2mobi the longtitle is The Sharing Knife, Volume Four: Horizon.

I also have my computer copy of the Mobipocket reader set to the MyEbooks folder.

I've changed the title with mobi2mobi to Horizon. When I open the computer copy of Mobipocket reader it looks at the file and shows the title as Horizon. But on my Cybook Gen3 the title which shows is the longtitle as above. This is not what I want; I want it to show as Horizon.

So, is there any way to change the longtitle to Horizon?
Well "--title" should change this. After you change the title check the changed with mobi2mobi to confirm that it was changed.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:09 AM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Well "--title" should change this. After you change the title check the changed with mobi2mobi to confirm that it was changed.
Thanks, Tommy.
I'm certain that I changed the name to Horizon using the mobi2mobi GUI. And I still don't understand why the title showed as Horizon with the desktop version of Mobipocket reader and as The Sharing Knife, Volume 4:Horizon on the Cybook Gen3.

Anyway, I made a copy of the original file from HarperCollins and changed the title with the command line version of mobi2mobi, and it worked. The title is Horizon on both the desktop and the Cybook.

Thanks again for your marvellous program.

Regards, Alex
Old 03-27-2009, 01:50 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Thanks, Tommy.
I'm certain that I changed the name to Horizon using the mobi2mobi GUI. And I still don't understand why the title showed as Horizon with the desktop version of Mobipocket reader and as The Sharing Knife, Volume 4:Horizon on the Cybook Gen3.

Anyway, I made a copy of the original file from HarperCollins and changed the title with the command line version of mobi2mobi, and it worked. The title is Horizon on both the desktop and the Cybook.

Thanks again for your marvellous program.

Regards, Alex
If you previously loaded the book on the Cybook there was likely a .mdp file created from the eBook. You need to erase this file to get the new title to take. You will lose any bookmarks if you erase the file.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:18 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
If you previously loaded the book on the Cybook there was likely a .mdp file created from the eBook. You need to erase this file to get the new title to take. You will lose any bookmarks if you erase the file.

Dale
Thanks, Dale. I don't think this is the explanation because I looked for but didn't see an mbp file.

If it matters I removed the 'bad' version from my Cybook, did the successful command line conversion on a copy of the original version, and copied the converted version back to the Cybook.

Regards, Alex
Old 03-29-2009, 02:23 PM   #6
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Thanks, Dale. I don't think this is the explanation because I looked for but didn't see an mbp file.
The .mbp files are hidden by default (at least when using Windows), but each book you have opened on the Cybook definitely has one.

Quote:
If it matters I removed the 'bad' version from my Cybook, did the successful command line conversion on a copy of the original version, and copied the converted version back to the Cybook.
Removing the book also removes the .mbp file, so Dale's explanation still applies.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:03 AM   #7
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
The .mbp files are hidden by default (at least when using Windows), but each book you have opened on the Cybook definitely has one.

Removing the book also removes the .mbp file, so Dale's explanation still applies.
Thanks, Bill. So how do I get to see the hidden mbp files?

Regards, Alex
Old 04-11-2009, 06:11 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Windows Explorer -> Tools -> Folder Options -> View -> Show hidden files and folders.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 06:39 AM   #9
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Windows Explorer -> Tools -> Folder Options -> View -> Show hidden files and folders.
Thank you again, Harry

Regards, Alex
Old 04-11-2009, 07:47 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You're very welcome.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote