Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 09:15 PM   #1
ecbritz
Book Concocter
ecbritz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
How do you start a new MobileRead forum for product X?

If you wanted to request MobileRead to add a new forum for product X (e.g. important eBook software not represented here), how do you go about it? At the MobileRead's home site I do not see a link to the MobileRead management.

Last edited by ecbritz; 05-07-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Probably you first need to get enough discussion happening on product X in an existing, appropriate forum, and then post in the Feedback forum.
Advert
Old 05-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
You will need to post your request (in detail) in the "Feedback" section. The Moderators and Site Owners will start the new forum section if they feel it is warranted.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:38 PM   #4
ecbritz
Book Concocter

Thanks. I followed your link to the Feedback department and asked how and where I should submit a motivation for adding a forum about product X. It should be possible to submit such a request and motivation with a certain measure of confidentiality at first.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:43 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Moderator Notice
Moved to Feedback
Advert
Old 05-07-2013, 11:36 PM   #6
ecbritz
Book Concocter

Hi Mr TheDucks, thanks for moving my request to the spot where it belongs. Could you please shine light on how I can formally submit a motivation for a new forum to the owners or managers of MobileRead? Will be most thankful for your help.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:43 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Just going by how it's happened in the past there first needs to be enough traffic in one of the other forum sections so that a need for a separate section seen.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:09 AM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@AnemicOak: Funny, I was *sure* I had said that in an earlier post in this thread
Old 05-08-2013, 02:32 AM   #9
ecbritz
Book Concocter

I can understand that. But there might be other considerations. For instance, a program that did not have its own forum would not necessarily have drawn much comment in existing forums. But for compelling reasons it might merit its own forum. My question is: how, to whom, at which address, do I deliver a motivated request for a new forum? I don't mind tossing the ball around here. But surely it should be possible to contact MobileRead in a different way. How do I do that? Is there an email address I could try?
Old 05-08-2013, 03:01 AM   #10
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Of course, it's all there.

If you scroll down the main page, on the last blue ribbon you will find a field "Contact us"
(https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sendmessage.php)
where you can submit your issue.

Or you use the list "View Forum Leaders"
(https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showgroups.php)
and pick one of the moderators to send him a private message. Of course, it makes most sense to contact one of the "Administrators".
Old 05-08-2013, 03:17 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Speaking as one of the administrators, I would add to Billi's excellent advice that a request for a new forum section is extremely unlikely to be approved unless there is already a high level of discussion about it in other forum sections.

Eg an ebook creation tool would need to have numerous threads in, for example, the "Workshop" forum before we would consider creating a new forum section for it.

Last edited by HarryT; 05-08-2013 at 03:32 AM.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:46 PM   #12
ecbritz
Book Concocter

Thanks very much for pointing me to the Send Message Department. That's what I was looking for. Regarding new forums, I'm too new to MobileRead to really know what has value to the people in charge. MobileRead certainly has tremendous value to its users. If advertisements carry the cost of running MobileRead, then numbers of members and viewers should have value to MobileRead. I have noticed that either an interesting topic in terms of using a product -- for instance a technical problem experienced by users -- or otherwise something controversial -- an argument developing -- chases up large numbers of viewers. I do have knowledge of newspapers. Many people love (or "love to hate") certain things, policies or people. You see this all over the internet in comments. This is one of the reasons why letters-to-the-editor is a good way for newspapers to draw readership. Any form of interest, participation, excitement or colourful strife draws viewers and readers. In the end, it also helps to generate understanding and knowledge about the relevant field. A deserving ebook software product of quality that adds to the variety, to the difference between products featured at MobileRead, has the potential of stimulating comparison and discussion, and would add many viewers to the website. I'm unfortunately not the best person to submit a proposal, I'm too new here. But at least I know where one should go now. Thanks!

Last edited by ecbritz; 05-10-2013 at 09:52 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:05 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Why not just come right out with it and tell us what it is that you're asking for, rather than speaking in vague generalities? It would be better for all concerned that way. If you've written a piece of commercially-sold software and you're asking for a support forum for it on MR, the answer is "no". If you're a user of some freely-available (ie NOT commercially sold) software that you think would be of interest to the MR community as a whole, the answer could be "yes". Tip-toeing around the issue in the way that you are doing at the moment isn't going to achieve anything.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:42 PM   #14
ecbritz
Book Concocter

I'm tip-toeing because I have not been able to establish the rules and conditions here, by private access to someone in charge of MobileRead. I simply do not know my way around here. I mean well and I did not want to harm rather than promote a product I have much respect and sympathy for. For instance, I had no idea that only free software qualify for a forum. May I assure you that I don't have any personal interest in or connection with this product whatsoever. Its simply a matter of finding the product totally underestimated and underexposed to people who should know about it. It is highly deserving of a forum. The product also poses a real challenge to other products here. It would serve the discussions at MobileRead well. But it is a commercial product, so I can't propose it's inclusion. A real pity. Though I'm happy I did not expose it before knowing what you have now told me. Anyway, you have enabled me to end my quest by giving me information I was not given by anybody else in the Feedback section or elsewhere. Thanks a lot for saving me from further waste of effort. I enjoy MobileRead as much as I enjoy this product, may I also add that.

Last edited by ecbritz; 05-11-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:04 PM   #15
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Remember nothing at all prevents discussing product X in an existing forum, maybe Workshop or Lounge, and getting people interested in it that way.
Closed Thread