Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 08:53 AM   #376
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
You've taken my comment out of context, I was referring specifically to the desktop computer. However, your general point is well taken. Even the Tomtom GPS device has Linux under the hood.
I somewhat realized that. The thing is, the world is increasingly shifting towards embedded devices where the OS doesn't matter. That's how Apple got away with iOS. That's how Google got away with Android.

The future of Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows is somewhat more dubious because of that. Mac OS X will probably dwindle away since Apple's market doesn't care about the desktop as much anymore. Linux will probably grow increasingly specialized, since it isn't (and probably will never be, for the general public) ready for the desktop. Windows itself will probably survive on the sole merit that businesses and specialized consumer use requires a truly general purpose platform.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:10 AM   #377
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
Meanwhile in China Nokia and Windows eat everyone's lunch. The largest carrier in China has decided to go with the new Nokia instead of the iPhone or an Android device.
It's as well as Android, not instead of. See, for example:

http://micgadget.com/26873/samsung-l...china-telecom/

Quote:
Samsung announced that its Galaxy S III will be available on three carriers in China: China Mobile, China Telecom and China Unicom on June 9th.
(I assume you're talking about the deal between Nokia and China Mobile for the Lumia phones.)

Graham
Advert
Old 12-10-2012, 09:31 AM   #378
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Indde that is what I was referring to. The article I read made no mention of the Samsung but I am sure you are correct. Seems to be a blow for Apple
Old 12-10-2012, 10:52 AM   #379
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
Apple is losing its edge when it comes to highest quality: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57...after-rescues/
After all the things that have been said about Apple maps, how can anyone use them?
Old 12-10-2012, 11:21 AM   #380
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
After all the things that have been said about Apple maps, how can anyone use them?
Well, it's not like iPhone & iPad users have much of a choice for mapping software. I predict sales of dedicated GPS devices to go up in Australia (and probably everywhere else) after this.
Advert
Old 12-10-2012, 11:34 AM   #381
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
Meanwhile in China Nokia and Windows eat everyone's lunch. The largest carrier in China has decided to go with the new Nokia instead of the iPhone or an Android device.
With well over 60% of the market share for phones and tablets in China, Android has already eaten 6 of the dishes at this most delectable lunch, leaving the remaining 3 for iOS, symbian, windows and others to fight over.

As Graham already pointed out, the Nokia deal with China Mobile is non-exclusive.

--Pat
Old 12-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #382
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
With well over 60% of the market share for phones and tablets in China, Android has already eaten 6 of the dishes at this most delectable lunch, leaving the remaining 3 for iOS, symbian, windows and others to fight over.

As Graham already pointed out, the Nokia deal with China Mobile is non-exclusive.

--Pat
Mmmmmm!

Old 12-10-2012, 11:43 AM   #383
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
Apple is losing its edge when it comes to highest quality: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57...after-rescues/
From the article:

Quote:
"Tests on the mapping system by police confirm the mapping systems lists Mildura in the middle of the Murray Sunset National Park, approximately 70km away from the actual location of Mildura," police said in a statement. "Police are extremely concerned as there is no water supply within the Park and temperatures can reach as high as 46 degrees [Celsius, roughly 115 degrees Fahrenheit], making this a potentially life threatening issue.

"Anyone travelling to Mildura or other locations within Victoria should rely on other forms of mapping until this matter is rectified," the police concluded.
Wow. Would be funny if it weren't so scary and dangerous. That's why when someone tried to say the mapping issue was no worse than other Apple goofs of the past (such as the antenna one), I disagreed. We're talking potential life and death here. I really wonder if Apple would have put this out if Jobs were still alive. I believe he would have waited till the wrinkles were ironed out, and would have stayed with Google maps for one more cycle.

--Pat
Old 12-10-2012, 11:48 AM   #384
PatNY
Zennist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Mmmmmm!

Yeah, really! I couldn't let that comment go without taking the opportunity to post an image of one of my all-time favorite meals.

I love dim sum and NY has a lot of great places to get it. Any good dim sum places out in Denver, Kenny?

--Pat
Old 12-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #385
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
Yeah, really! I couldn't let that comment go without taking the opportunity to post an image of one of my all-time favorite meals.

I love dim sum and NY has a lot of great places to get it. Any good dim sum places out in Denver, Kenny?

--Pat
I'm no connoisseur but I do tend to have Chinese for New Years Eve.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:23 PM   #386
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Well, it's not like iPhone & iPad users have much of a choice for mapping software. I predict sales of dedicated GPS devices to go up in Australia (and probably everywhere else) after this.
Are you sure? The article starts with:
Quote:
Apple recognized a few months ago that its iOS map app was so inefficient that it encouraged use of competing apps.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:38 PM   #387
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Quote:
Not sure about that. A quick search of the App Store turned up 3 alternatives before I got bored. Just buy the app is the easy solution I suppose. Be a lot cheaper than a dedicated GPS. I should know, I own at least 3
Old 12-10-2012, 01:09 PM   #388
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
Some people enjoy pain, to each their own...
Old 12-10-2012, 01:26 PM   #389
Sil_liS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Some people enjoy pain, to each their own...
It made me think of The Office:
Old 12-10-2012, 01:50 PM   #390
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Well, it's not like iPhone & iPad users have much of a choice for mapping software.
?
There are actually quite a few mapping apps for iOS.
Closed Thread