Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-14-2012, 02:20 PM   #16
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a dead as PARROT Kindle keyboard 3G,NEXUS 7 and Proud Of It
UPDATE on the google media player and ITV player not going into landscape mode.
I combed through the settings menu and looked in ACCESSIBILITY option section and low and behold they have a option for auto-rote screen.

You need to tick the box as mine arrived un- ticked so it would not rotate .I dont have a clue why they would ship them like that and its not the most easy option to track down and the end result was annoying .They must lack a bit of common sense or just playing silly buggers

Last edited by darksaber35; 07-14-2012 at 02:36 PM.
darksaber35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I thought it would have; that's why I asked you if it had an orientation lock . Pleased that you've found it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:24 PM   #18
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksaber35 View Post
Current video file types it wont play are AVI files but hopefully i will find a video player but i have already so far tried 4 media players without success.
Moboplayer ,REALplayer lite , Viyalplayer and ARCMEDIA are supposed to play avi video flies without a problem on other android tablets but they wont play them on the NEXUS.
What kind of AVI's? AVI is a container that can use a lot of various codec's so it could be that it just won't play specific AVI's???
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:28 PM   #19
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I will test a few more video files tomorrow and is if any more AVI files are affected. they all run fine on my pc with VLC . i wish vlc android works but it packs up when trying to play them.
Maybe its's the audio codec that's the trouble.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:27 AM   #20
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Have you tried the DICE player?
I've used it on both phones and tablets and it has succesfully played everything I threw at it.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:41 AM   #21
darksaber35
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Have you tried the DICE player?
I've used it on both phones and tablets and it has succesfully played everything I threw at it.
DICE did the trick thanks,I wanted to try it yesterday but could not remember the name.I will uninstall all the other player ap's as it seems the best and most compatible overall.

Last edited by darksaber35; 07-15-2012 at 04:49 AM.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:55 AM   #22
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Glad it worked out for you. DICE is to Android what VLC is to the PC. But they are releasing an Android VLC soon I believe.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:55 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Glad it worked out for you. DICE is to Android what VLC is to the PC. But they are releasing an Android VLC soon I believe.
There is one already, but it's a beta version, and VERY buggy.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:38 AM   #24
darksaber35
Banned

Well i have been testing out Ebooks and comics and im glad to say the Nexus 7 is great for reading this media.The comics look stunning and if you have problems reading the writing then just pinch and zoom and the quad core CPU will instantly zooms in without any lag.

I Dont have any magazines but will try to find some to test out.

NOTE - the photos don't do the screen justice as my camera cant shoot the screen properly so they look a bit pixelated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0036.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	792.4 KB
ID:	89253   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0045.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	830.3 KB
ID:	89254   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0046.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	788.4 KB
ID:	89255   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0049.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	834.3 KB
ID:	89256   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0051.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	972.3 KB
ID:	89257   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0050.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	874.5 KB
ID:	89262  

Last edited by darksaber35; 07-17-2012 at 07:44 AM.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:44 PM   #25
keeska
Connoisseur
keeska has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony T1, Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD, Samsung Note 3
Any restrictions with running alternate apps?

I have an Amazon fire which forbids running alternate ebook reader apps and even forbids accessing the Google play store. Have you found any restirctions on the Nexus 7 regarding which apps you may run or which app stores you may access?

I ask because I have a lot of ebooks in various formats (including mobi) and would rather not spend the time converting the mobi ebooks I would rather use the Amazon reader app. I also purchased some apps from Amazon for my fire and would like to use those.

This is the only thing keeping me from ordering a Nexus 7.

kees
keeska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #26
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksaber35 View Post
NOTE - the photos don't do the screen justice as my camera cant shoot the screen properly so they look a bit pixelated.
Use the screenshot feature on Android: hold the volume down and power buttons at the same time.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:47 AM   #27
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
What is the weight like? I find the ipad a little heavy to hold for long periods and found the same about the Vox. Does the Nexus feel much lighter?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:34 AM   #28
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
What is the weight like? I find the ipad a little heavy to hold for long periods and found the same about the Vox. Does the Nexus feel much lighter?
It's half the weight of an iPad:
  • iPad 1 -- 24.0 oz
  • iPad 3 -- 23.0 oz
  • Nook Color -- 15.8 oz
  • Kindle Fire -- 14.6 oz
  • Nexus 7 -- 12.0 oz
  • Nook (1st gen) -- 11.6 oz
  • Kindle (1st gen) -- 10.2 oz
  • Kindle 4 NT -- 6.0 oz
  • Sony T1 -- 5.9 oz
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:49 AM   #29
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeska View Post
I have an Amazon fire which forbids running alternate ebook reader apps
The Fire does not forbid the running of other ebook apps, plenty of folks run Mantano, Aldiko, BlueFire, Kobo, Nook, etc. on it (without hacking it).

Quote:
I ask because I have a lot of ebooks in various formats (including mobi) and would rather not spend the time converting the mobi ebooks I would rather use the Amazon reader app. I also purchased some apps from Amazon for my fire and would like to use those.
You can load the Amazon app store on the Nexus. Where you may run into a problem is if it's a "Fire only" app like some devs are putting out. No problem running the Kindle app.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:49 PM   #30
darksaber35
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeska View Post
I have an Amazon fire which forbids running alternate ebook reader apps and even forbids accessing the Google play store. Have you found any restrictions on the Nexus 7 regarding which apps you may run or which app stores you may access?

This is the only thing keeping me from ordering a Nexus 7.

kees
Well this is a true Android OS and not the dumbed down OS that kindle ham strung the fire with. i can buy off any web store with the NEXUS 7 and read books in any format with the rite App installed.

Amazon.com limited the kindle fire in small ways to maximize there profits in after sales department as well as making them depend on there CLOUD storage which im sure you know costs money over a certain storage limit.

Apps i use for reading-
1. books i bought off the Amazon.com website i use - amazon kindle App
2.side loaded (USB) MOBI and some other format books i use - FBREADER
3. Aldiko Book Reader for reading EPUB ebooks

You will be able to buy from any where including the apps that have there own online book store like Aldiko Book Reader.There seems to be less info on the books sold on the Aldiko book store than what you would find on amazon.com but at least you have a choose as well as the many other online book stores you will be able to the best price that you want.

Last edited by darksaber35; 07-18-2012 at 01:58 PM.