Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-03-2010, 06:11 AM   #1
avinatbezeq
Connoisseur
avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, KDXG
Kindle international "unsupported country"

"Unfortunately, we are currently unable to ship Kindles to Israel."

I'm ready to wait with buying eBooks from Amazon till a solution is found, but I want the large screen NOW. I consider using a service such as Buy For Me, which provides a U.S. address and credit card, to bypass Amazon's scrutiny. However, I'm worried that they're using registration/activation/IP detection processes that will prevent me from enjoying the device.

Currently I'm using Calibre to convert local files and download them through USB to my PRS-505.

Will I be able to do the same if I buy the new Kindle DX Graphite?

What are the expected problems? For example, will later upgrades work? What do I need to DO?
avinatbezeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 05:20 PM   #2
gollu
Unsullied
gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i
Hello
as you said - just use a service that provides you with a US address that'll later reship the Kindle to you.
As for registering and full internet access - don't worry about that. My Kindle is working just as expected and the internet is unlimited.
I suppose you know there's no right to left alignment so reading Hebrew is a no go( as far as I know).
gollu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2010, 06:53 PM   #3
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
I tried using wireless in Indonesia and it wouldn't work at all, even with 2.5 update.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 02:56 AM   #4
Rob612
Rob612 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Yup, what i see more as a problem might be the wireless connectivity. If they dont have any roaming agreement with any Israely operator, you might as well get around the shipment issue (hell, i could buy one for you and ship from italy) but... you wont be able to use it as intended if theres no 3G/Edge/whatever coverage. My guess, just an educated one, is thats the reason for them not shipping to Israel.
Rob612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 04:46 AM   #5
avinatbezeq
Connoisseur
avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by gollu View Post
Hello
as you said - just use a service that provides you with a US address that'll later reship the Kindle to you.
As for registering and full internet access - don't worry about that. My Kindle is working just as expected and the internet is unlimited.
I suppose you know there's no right to left alignment so reading Hebrew is a no go( as far as I know).
It's reassuring to have an answer from Israel.

Toda Raba.
avinatbezeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2010, 11:09 AM   #6
gollu
Unsullied
gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i
Quote:
Originally Posted by avinatbezeq View Post
It's reassuring to have an answer from Israel.

Toda Raba.
You are very welcome
gollu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:05 AM   #7
chocoalmond
chocoalmond began at the beginning.

Device: None :(
Good day. Any kindle users from Indonesia?

I'm planning to buy Kindle 2 (or Kindle 3) and have it delivered in my home country (supported), but I'll be using it here in Indonesia (my friend will bring it here when she go for a vacation).

Just wondering how do I get about registering the kindle, can it be done manually under Manage Kindle? How about the updates? Is it only done via whispernet or is it possible to download it via pc?

I'm afraid that when I open the kindle a message will appear - SORRY, YOUR CURRENT LOCATION IS NOT SUPPORTED, YOU CANNOT USE YOUR KINDLE

I'm trying to learn how i will be able to go about the whole thing before I buy a kindle.

chocoalmond is offline   Reply With Quote