Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-12-2009, 10:37 AM   #16
narbeauchamp
Groupie
narbeauchamp has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS700BC/PRS505/TZ350N/MacBook/Aspire One/iPad/iPhone/BB 9630
I often get asked about it.Although as time goes by more and more people are often staring at or plugged into various devices (cell phone,netbooks,ipods)-the reader still stands out to many...so they ask.Depending on what I am reading,and my mood (sometimes one just wants to be left alone) I answer,either at length,or very briefly.I have also asked people about readers when I've seen them in person (subway/commuter rail,bus,coffee shop,doctors offices etc). Yesterday while in a Barnes & Noble someone asked me about it as well,I had taken it out to double check a title that I thought I already owned....and then she quipped-oh that's like the one at Best Buy-and said she had just gone over to look at it,but needed to do more research-I suggested mobileread,of course
narbeauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:54 PM   #17
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Woo, a fellow cards fan!

I use mine a lot at school, and get stopped by teachers and other students about it. Usually their first question is if it is a kindle.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2009, 01:25 PM   #18
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
My Kindle and Sony readers accompany me everywhere. In the local diner where we are well known, the readers caught the attention of the servers when I first brought them in. I answered the usual questions and then on subsequent visits there was little notice of it except occasionally from another diner. UNTIL the day that I walked in with a paperback. Lots of questions about why I wasn't reading on the electronic readers.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:56 PM   #19
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
I get that quite often, when I was on a cruise earlier this year, I probably got questions about it several times a day. When I'm reading in restaurants, people will come up to me and ask questions. I'm pretty sure the questions I get asked are pretty much the same as other posters get asked.
Treven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:39 PM   #20
narbeauchamp
Groupie
narbeauchamp has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS700BC/PRS505/TZ350N/MacBook/Aspire One/iPad/iPhone/BB 9630
On my way home today,I was reading from "my" new Sony 600....a woman stopped and asked me a bunch of questions-she's shopping for a present for her husband,a voracious reader....and she was so inquisitive- the first thing she asked was if it was a kindle...she said she didn't think so,just from sight to her it looked different..I wasn't particularly engrossed in my book,so I chatted with her during the 20 min or so ride.Also suggested mobileread as a good place to augment research.She loved the idea so much,said she might even get one for herself first-and I told her that's what I did...and then I ended up within weeks getting one for my other half...LOL
narbeauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2009, 05:43 PM   #21
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I have to admit it's rather amusing that people who I meet who are curious about it don't actually look at it, but rather just talk about what they've "heard".

If I'm not busy and feel like showing them about the device and dealing with geektalk, I encourage them to look hard at the screen, but they instead say (while looking at me):
Quote:
It's supposed to be like paper right?
Bloody look at the stupid thing.
Quote:
Oh...I thought it was supposed to be like ink?
Well no, that's marketing. It's just a monochrome screen.
Quote:
Oh. Does it display Chinese?
If you jump through some hoops, sure. Looks like garbage though.

(Then I normally show them a Chinese font demo and have them look at it.)

Quote:
It's not too bad, still readable.
But normal books are much better usually.
Quote:
Maybe, but you can get all your books for free (implying illegal stuff, not legit free stuff), so you can save money.
Yep, that's about it.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:52 PM   #22
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
As I spend a large amount of time traveling, I am approached daily at airport, hotels, beaches, restaurants, by at least one or two people with the usual laundry list of questions.

Most amusing, however, are the several visits to two different oral surgeons recently who spotted me reading while waiting in "the chair." Loads of questions by both of them and, as a result, both made purchases and are converts.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:29 AM   #23
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
I've been approached a few dozen times so far, and I'm pretty sure I've managed to convince most of them to not buy one.

I think you should NOT get a job in sales.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:48 AM   #24
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
questions

I get questions when I take my reader out in public. One of my Dr's even bought a Kindle after he saw my little EB1150. He told me he loves it.

I get asked most often if I am reading on a Kindle, to which I tell them I am not.

I generally tell people that unless they are a very heavy reader, as in several books a week, that paperbacks are still the way to go at this point, but hopefully as the prices come down that will change.

I think for anyone that is a heavy reader they are worth getting, if for no other reason than the space saving aspect.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:07 AM   #25
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
I generally tell people that unless they are a very heavy reader, as in several books a week, that paperbacks are still the way to go at this point, but hopefully as the prices come down that will change.
Amy
I guess that's true, regarding price of p-books vs an e-reader and e-books, but I feel that using my e-reader allows me more opportunity to read.

Because of it's size, I can always have it with me. Because I can have many books on it at the same time, if on a train or bus and finish one book I always have another to continue reading. It's my usual habit to be reading 2-3 books at the same time, and my e-reader allows me to do that where ever I am without having to tote around several books. When 'strap-hanging' on a crowded train it's easier to read one-handed and still turn the pages comfortably. And perhaps the best reason... it's FUN to read with an e-reader!!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:20 AM   #26
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhishStyx View Post
I think you should NOT get a job in sales.
I agree...I'd probably cut my wrists if I had to sell ebook readers or any other product I don't appreciate. Perhaps in a few years when the devices aren't all rubbish, I'll actually recommend them to people. There's not much point in me trying to justify my own idiotic purchase by pushing it on the gullible unless I actually believe they'll get enjoyment out of it...and I don't know that many irrational early adopters in this country (except for cell phones).
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:16 AM   #27
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
The comment I hear most often runs along the lines of "I've heard of Kindles but have never seen one. How do you like it?"

Then there was the person who approached me the other say and asked, "Is that a computer?"

"No, it's an e-book reader."

"Is it a computer?" she repeated.

"No, it's for reading electronic books."

When it finally dawned on her that its main purpose was for reading books, she lost interest.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote