Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-20-2009, 01:41 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Do you prefer margins on your LRF editions? What font size?

What I am trying to find out is what sort of margin setting most people on MR prefer for their LRF eBooks.

Think in terms of Book Designer margins. Specify in top, bottom, left, and right. I personally prefer margins of 0 all around with a find size of 10 point.

The reason I'm asking is so I can get a good sample. I'm going to be redoing some/all of the LRF I've uploaded based on the answers here. What I might do is have two different versions. The one most here like and the one I like. That would give a good choice (IMHO). So please let me know what margins and font size you like best for a comfortable read.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:44 PM   #2
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Jon,

I've never used Book Designer and have no idea how it claculates margins. The best I can do is say that I do like the margins on the ebooks I buy from the Sony store.

As for font size, I prefer 12 point, which is what I have the Calibre default set to.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2009, 01:49 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Jon,

I've never used Book Designer and have no idea how it claculates margins. The best I can do is say that I do like the margins on the ebooks I buy from the Sony store.

As for font size, I prefer 12 point, which is what I have the Calibre default set to.
This weekend, I'll take some photos of my 505 showing different margins so people can get an idea of margin settings.

Then you'd like 10 point as the small size as I believe that medium would be close to 12 point.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:50 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I checked my BD settings and I have it set to 10pt. type with margins of Top 0px, Left 10px, Right 10px, Bottom 10px. I think those are just default settings. These seem to work fine, but I guess I haven't really messed with the settings to see if 0 margins all around are "better".

EDIT: Just tried doing a BD book with 0 margins all around. I prefer the way I've been doing it I guess. The 0 margin book is harder to read if using the PC software, not that I do it often but on occasion I've needed to use it to read for a while (like yesterday when I forgot to bring my Reader to work for lunch time reading).

Last edited by AnemicOak; 02-20-2009 at 01:53 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:50 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I always use 10 pixel margins all around for all my LRF books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2009, 02:31 PM   #6
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
I use in Calibre

Margins:
Left 1pt
Right 1pt
Top 0pt
Bottom 0pt

and I prefer size 12 font.

edit: I think on the mobi format it says pt but on LRF the margins are px? I'm not sure how much of a difference the pt is verse px...I kept the settings the same for LRF and Mobi conversions.

Last edited by Amalthia; 02-20-2009 at 02:34 PM.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:57 PM   #7
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I too like the giant margins that come with Sony books. For font, I like the same size that come with the classics.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:01 PM   #8
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I always use 10 pixel margins all around for all my LRF books.
This is usually the most sensible setting. I use 0px for top and bottom and 10px for the sides, but that's because it looks the best with my Caecillia font. But I'd use 10px all-around for books that would be read by other people.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:05 PM   #9
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
for the margins settings I prefer to stick with Calibre's default values
Left 20px
Right 20px
Top 10pt
Bottom 0pt
I tried using less but came back to these as I find them more readable.

And I prefer the size 11 font.
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:10 PM   #10
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
0 Margins
Large font
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:51 PM   #11
RJ_Cruze_Jr
RJ_Cruze_Jr is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505
For margins, I stick with the calibre defaults. Font size, I like 11 point. 10 point is a little too small and 12 point was just a little too big for my liking. That's what I like about calibre; I can tweak my books to just the way I like it.
RJ_Cruze_Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:58 PM   #12
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

I think font size 12 (Calibre) looks the most like what you'd find in a mass paperback book.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:19 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

So what I am getting here is that most people prefer some sort of margin. How would a margin of say 12 on all sides do? And a small font of 10pt would be I think 12.5pt at medium and 15pt at large. I'm thinking the font size change is 2.5pt larger. I seem to recall reading that someplace. If I am incorrect, someone please correct me.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:25 PM   #14
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Maybe I'm a bit late but here are mine: margins top, left and right 5 points, bottom 0; font 10 points.

BTW I think a margin of 12 to be too much.

Best regrds,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:32 PM   #15
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So what I am getting here is that most people prefer some sort of margin. How would a margin of say 12 on all sides do? And a small font of 10pt would be I think 12.5pt at medium and 15pt at large. I'm thinking the font size change is 2.5pt larger. I seem to recall reading that someplace. If I am incorrect, someone please correct me.
I think 10pt is too small, a reader shouldn't have to use the magnify button to increase the font size unless they really have to. However, to be fair my eyesight isn't the best.

also, I think margins 10px is too much of a margin. Someone recommended 5? I think that may be a good compromise. After reading the responses to this post I'd never realized so many people actually added margins to their stories. I tried removing them as much as possible.