Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-25-2012, 04:17 AM   #1
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Japanese Launch not going well

It looks like the Japanese launch is not going well.

And for exactly the same reasons that we're all (well, most of us) having: problems with the 2.0 software like Desktop not working, device not working and poor customer service.

Rakuten has removed ALL of the reviews of the Touch from their site. This is generally the action of an unhappy company.

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...ws/#more-36884

The cached Google page, translated: http://www.microsofttranslator.com/b...&hl=en&ct=clnk

Last edited by murg; 07-25-2012 at 04:23 AM.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:52 PM   #2
MisterMax
Enthusiast
MisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the rough

Device: 2 Kobo Touch
That's sad...
MisterMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2012, 03:00 PM   #3
volpo
Addict
volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E, Glo HD
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" and nobody at Kobo can say they didn't know that there were problems with their method.
volpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:28 PM   #4
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
I love this review...

Quote:
...Unfortunately reading revolution seems only to fail. Mastermind of the revolution would be beheaded or imprisoned?
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:12 PM   #5
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, reading the pages translated from Japanese is really weird.
Advert
Old 07-25-2012, 08:49 PM   #6
GvilleBridge
Connoisseur
GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Tablet
"Poor poor aching mackerel"

I examined some of the complaints of first Japanese buyers of the KT, but it is very difficult to tell exactly what the problems were and what Rakuten is planning, largely because of the strangeness of the Microsoft and Google translations from Japanese.

For example, from the Rakuten official's statement translated from http://www.itmedia.co.jp/news/articl...5/news106.html (apparently includes some user complaints): "...Executive officer in charge of apology is 'not sorry'...Field review of the site to the terminal direct criticism of Rakuten been flooded, the state had burst into flames...A series of problems is why what happened...Welcome to you also who has been challenged many times activation, had been a waste of time without work..."

From user complaints translated at http://www.microsofttranslator.com/b...&hl=en&ct=clnk

--"I don't know this is a defective product or specification, missing the pretty face turned off for now other than profit."

--"Price and assortment of stores, poor poor aching mackerel, no site making themselves too hard to use, can be admired there. Unfortunately reading revolution seems only to fail. Mastermind of the revolution would be beheaded or imprisoned?"

--"Buy first stumble stumbled of opening the box. EBook hard to isolate a box too good in this opening is?...Also many glitches (and fix the future of thing) but seems there obviates the Rakuten charm just the kobo home present such glitches need things that with courage, sincerity... The outspoken amazlet hoping to go to ripen in the farm UP in the future."

--"Grubbed I tried to read a watch (laughs) after starting the body, pre-installation of Aozora Bunko and flip through...Can be recommended for those seeking support to Rakuten, tulips."

--"Arrived on the first day, and certainly is to review for you guys to use eh was thought at first, a few days later, so-so like Hmong? 'as I've conveniently. Or content to enhance how long after that that is all. I hope thank you. He expected more of the Kindle better but, honestly."

But all was not bizarre and negative:

--"Well, try a little more."

There were several pages of comments at the Rakuten site but the company has taken them down (one will see the notice attached here).

Basically, I don't now know whether to laugh or weep. Well, Rakuten and Kobo, try a little more!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RakutenNotice.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	89723  
GvilleBridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:19 PM   #7
nila
nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: none
Launching when they know they are in the middle of having serious firmware issues just seems like an incredibly stupid move to me.

Despite all the bugs reported on this site, I LOVE my Kobo Touch and am SOOO glad I bought it.
I really think this site at the moment is making the Touch sound FAR worse than it is. Everyone is complaining about everything whereas in actual fact, its a good, simple, stable reader overall that is just going through a rough patch right now.
nila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #8
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Well hopefully it will do well in Japan, as an avid eink reader I would like to see more of the devices on the street..but alas none of the companies has done enough to really market the ereader well, supply a huge selection of ebooks, for example 300,000, and for the life of me; they have not targeted the Manga market which is HUGE in Japan. On top of that, Manga is mostly in Black and white so no need to compete with tablets....
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:36 AM   #9
ozero_rgfx
ozero_rgfx began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
What gone wrong with Rakuten.

A blogger in Japan summarizes that.

J->E Translated with Excite:
http://goo.gl/V3pM3
Original:
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/JavaBlack/20120727/p1

and what i know is:

- The Installation failure of Kobo desktop client on windows, when users uses multibyte chars for thier username. (It was fixed on current version.)

- Rakuten started to accepting activetions of devices from 15:00. That was bad enough timing to cause load spike on their activation server/insrastructure. Then, almost all of users can't activate their OWN KTs, even reading DRM-less EPUBs.
Rakuten should have accept from 06:00AM or 03:00, the time of lesser active networkers.

- Book search engine/indexing in Rakuten book store does NOT care about CJKs.
Japanese text was not devided with spaces. So search engine needs morphological analysis such as n-gram, and tuning of them for effective indexing.
More to worth, it can't specify contents language in search query. Then, the result was flooded with English contents.

- Search result of books doesn't show volume number for series of books.
ex: All of "Shingeki no Kyojin vol.1","Shingeki no Kyojin vol.2" ... and " ..Vol.10" are just shown as "Shingeki no Kyojin". Compare cover picture with amazon. LOL

- Lacking description for limitation, such as "You can't select text on book that bought from Rakuten."

- Firmware was buggy. Forgets wifi setting. Reboots on reading books. Stalls on scanning contents.

eh.. Rakuten must have not hired enough personnel for releasing Hardware, Localization of contents, and not able to eat their own dogfood for inmature firmware, services, shortage of span.

Yes, I love KT for affordable price on auction(about $70) for DRM-less EPUB/PDF reader ... and non-protected firmware.

Rakuten, keep hard work.
ozero_rgfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:47 AM   #10
murg
No Comment

I couldn't get the Excite link to translate, here's the Bing version: http://www.microsofttranslator.com/b...ck/20120727/p1

That forum makes MobileRead look like a love-fest!
Old 07-27-2012, 08:06 AM   #11
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by nila View Post
Launching when they know they are in the middle of having serious firmware issues just seems like an incredibly stupid move to me.
I'd guess the new firmware was mainly intended for the Japanese launch.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:47 AM   #12
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
I really think this site at the moment is making the Touch sound FAR worse than it is. Everyone is complaining about everything whereas in actual fact, its a good, simple, stable reader overall that is just going through a rough patch right now.
I agree. Negativity seems to be the native language of the internet, though I suppose it's just human nature. As the old marketing rule says, a customer who has a good experience will tell one person, while a customer who has a bad experience will tell ten people.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:06 AM   #13
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
All I can say is yup, make us look really gracious and nice over here ...

Quote:
It is a sense of "not enough" feel to the whole:

Not enough time
Technology is not enough
Not enough test
Talent is not enough
Understanding of the management is not enough. Strategy is not enough
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:32 PM   #14
lar3ry
Enthusiast
lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo WiFi and Kobo Touch
Quote:
I agree! Did they really think the result would be different?

Quote:
Despite all the bugs reported on this site, I LOVE my Kobo Touch and am SOOO glad I bought it.
Another pont of agreement. I would read very little without it. Paper books are just way too awkward.

Quote:
Well, here's where we disagree. I don't think we (the collective 'we' on this site) are making it sound worse than it is. Yes, it's a good, simple, stable, reader, but not, apparently, when it is running the most recent upgrade, or at least for many folks. I don't see nearly as many folks complaining about previous releases, and I don't see many saying it's not a good reader.

I find it good, stable, and simple, while running 1.9.17, and a LOT more user-friendly when running that release with the plugin to get the advertising off the front page.

Valid complaints about problems are not 'negativity', and neither are valid complaints about the company.

For a mind-boggling example of the latter, have a look on http://www.getsatisfaction.com and see the response to user "Andrew". He asked when an upgrade might be out for his Kobo WiFi, and the response asked him to open a ticket! Unbelievable!
lar3ry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:54 PM   #15
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Well... just as I thought... If you want to sell well in Japan you have to aim for perfection. And the current Kobo Touch firmware is not perfect at all.

Hope they will strive to resolve the problems very soon and will stop to release "half-cooked" firmware...

Fix bugs first, release a stable version, then (if you must) add new features (marketing tools like all that Facebook and Discover stuff...).
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote