Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-28-2010, 12:43 AM   #16
zeroh
Zealot
zeroh doesn't litterzeroh doesn't litter

Device: nook color
Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
Actually several reports from XDA said that despite making such changes, the 1.0.1 update took place anyway. That is not good. Guess I will make the change anyway

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...=876591&page=9
Mine did update after disabling it and I'm not sure if it was related but my NC wouldn't respond so I had to wipe it, update it, reroot it, and reinstall the apps. It wasn't too painful, just tedious.

I disabled it again as well as the phone standby. I have a backup just in case it craps out again. Just hope the restore works!
zeroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:49 PM   #17
zeroh
Zealot
zeroh doesn't litterzeroh doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
Maybe you guys can post up some screenshots of your energy usage for comparison. If you're rooted, go to:

App Drawer -> NookColor Tools -> All Settings -> Battery Use
Here's mine after disabling the phone standy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10-12-29-1.png
Views:	572
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	63748  
zeroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2010, 05:28 PM   #18
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I was going to try it until I saw this:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...3&postcount=36

I disabled automatic updates. It seems like renaming the two files for the batter life thing causes problems if you've done this.
Where are the instructions for disabling automatic updates?
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:32 PM   #19
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
Where are the instructions for disabling automatic updates?
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...5&postcount=17

You can use Root Explorer if you wish to rename the file.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:54 PM   #20
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookColor.........rooted
I'm not sure if the battery life is worse than before rooting, since I've barely put it down pre or post root....... I've kept mine plugged in to the most part.........
I rooted after the 1.0.1 update, should I still turn off auto update? If so how?

Also why can't I open the attachment screenshots with my nook? I just get a transparent black'ish screen when I click on the attachment
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2010, 05:57 PM   #21
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
I rooted after the 1.0.1 update, should I still turn off auto update? If so how?
If you want to decide when to install your update then turn it off. Even if my device wasn't rooted, I prefer to update manually so I can decide if I want the changes.

Here's how to disable:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=19
Old 12-29-2010, 06:12 PM   #22
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookColor.........rooted
Quote:
Maybe you guys can post up some screenshots of your energy usage for comparison. If you're rooted, go to:

App Drawer -> NookColor Tools -> All Settings -> Battery Use
Wow.......mine says 44% of battery use is from cell standby.......I guess I should disable it.........

I can't post a screenshot, haven't figured out how to......or how to view those others post.........,
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:31 PM   #23
French
Groupie
French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
O.k. KryptoNyte...HYSTERICAl screen shot!!! Did anyone else actually look at the picture? Flux Capacitor....jump start car....

I also wanted to 2nd Noah...I have the OTA change made (renamed the file) and I also have the phone files renamed now, and I'm able to shop and download books on my Nook.

However I'm not sure I buy this will improve battery life. But I'll be keeping an eye on it.
French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:35 PM   #24
SCION
Séduisant

Hey you! You've been MIA around here.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:55 PM   #25
French
Groupie
French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Hey you! You've been MIA around here.
I have. Trying to get to see everyone and also still work a day or two kept me busy. My poor Nook was even feeling neglected.

So tell me, NOW am I gonna get those 12+ hours of battery life I was looking for (while watching movies and playing games non stop, of course)?

What else have I missed for pimping this thing out?

The one nice thing about being MIA for a few days it there's LOTS of new content to read.
French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:27 PM   #26
mkpatent
mkpatent began at the beginning.

Can you provide instructions for how to apply this to a non prgrammer? Is it ascrpt I can run on my noon or from a PC with the noon connected by USB?
mkpatent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:31 PM   #27
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
I wouldn't bother with this issue. The minds over at the XDA forums claim that there is no battery life problem leaving these services running.
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:38 PM   #28
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
I wouldn't bother with this issue. The minds over at the XDA forums claim that there is no battery life problem leaving these services running.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:24 PM   #29
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Yeah. It was pretty well tested that doing this didn't change anything.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote