Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-18-2015, 10:26 PM   #1
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Recommendations for free, yet hi quality non-fiction?

More thinking of academy books, sociology, history, algebra, psychology, computer science, technical stuff, finance and stock markets, chemistry, biology, and other deep stuff that's up to date, and good (filled with up to date information).
I find it harder to find good quality material from the free non-fiction section

Last edited by ProDigit; 11-19-2015 at 08:36 AM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 10:38 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
If you're into computer/IT/programming tech type book Packt Publishing offers a different free title each day...

https://www.packtpub.com/packt/offers/free-learning

Also may be of interest...
http://www.sciencebooksonline.info
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:42 PM   #3
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
Just in case you don't know MIT OCW has a lot of coursework online for free. Textbooks, lecture notes, videos.
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 05:19 PM   #4
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've found most of my free nonfiction books by following the Deals, Freebies and Resources threads on this forum.

However, while hunting one particular book, I found out that the University of California Press has hundreds of nonfiction ebooks available online here covering a truly impressive number of subjects.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 11:34 PM   #5
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
More thinking of academy books, sociology, history, algebra, psychology, computer science, technical stuff, finance and stock markets, chemistry, biology, and other deep stuff that's up to date, and good (filled with up to date information).
I find it harder to find good quality material from the free non-fiction section
There is a site that a lot of universities use to offer free online courses. Places like U of Michigan, MIT, Princeton, UVA, Yale, U of Edinburgh etc. Many of the classes are the same as those offered on campus.

https://www.coursera.org/

Many of them offer free online coursebooks and other supporting documentation. There are so many, I don't know which do or don't. I don't know about "stock markets" but I've seen courses there in every other area you list. (granted they change all the time depending on interest)

wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 01:16 AM   #6
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
If you're into computer/IT/programming tech type book Packt Publishing offers a different free title each day...

https://www.packtpub.com/packt/offers/free-learning

Also may be of interest...
http://www.sciencebooksonline.info
Hi, everyone, and many thanks for the links so far,
My Kobo finally has arrived, and I started with the Fiction (Science) section in the Kobo library. There are about a good 100 free books I'll start with.
The link mentioned in the quote above, also looked very good to me!

I'll bookmark this thread, and will look again later, when I've gone through most of the free ebooks on their site.

I also will try to look on MobileRead's library when I have the time, though sorting through the many books posted here will be quite an amount of work.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote