Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-09-2011, 12:15 PM   #31
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Battery projections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
The Amazon kindle services are what is using most of mine too. Here's mine currently: (wifi is off)

96.46 % of battery consumed by:

Kindle System - 48.20%
Amazon Kindle - 47.59%
Kernel - 0.29%
Launcher - 0.17%
Badass Battery Monitor - 0.09%
Appstore - 0.03%
Amazon Device Client Platform - 0.02%
App Manager - 0.01%
Tapatalk - 0.01%
Pulse - 0.01%

My screen is taking 3.16% (I keep brightness down almost halfway most of the time)

Amazon Kindle (ebook reading) service for me runs only .07%. Your's runs 47.59%. Are you reading newspapers, comics, non-Amazon formats, etc.? I read an hour per dayof only Amazon ebooks and alternate with my 3rd Gen Kindle Kbd. However, your reading juice is way over mine.

I am also exploring the Fire a lot without any special use of any particular App. That also may make a difference.

My calculation of battery life is as follows: 100 (total percentage of use available) / 41 (present battery use) * 223 (present minues used since last charge) / 60 (convert to hours) = 9.07 (total hours available for use).

0.15 (Fire alert to recharge battery) * 9.07 (total hours available for use) = 1.36 (hours left on battery when it is to be recharged)

Thus, 7.71 hours are available for use before the Fire alert is given.

You can make the same calculation for yourself using that formula and the numbers taken from the Badass Battery Monitor. The Monitor, itself, will make those calculations after 6 number of months go by and it acquires the proper data.

Last edited by sirmaru; 12-09-2011 at 01:44 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:21 PM   #32
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Amazon Kindle (ebook reading) service for me runs only .07%. Your's runs 47.59%. Are you reading newspapers, comics, non-Amazon formats, etc.? I read an hour per dayof only Amazon ebooks and alternate with my 3rd Gen Kindle Kbd. However, your reading juice is way over mine.
I wonder why mine is so high. I'm not reading any newspapers, magazines, or comics, no. Most of my books are amazon e-books, although some are epub books that I converted to .mobi format and I have 3 pdf's on there. I'm not currently looking at them though. The book I'm currently reading is an amazon ebook. It's the only book I have been reading since I got the fire so I'm not sure why mine runs so high. Any ideas?
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:24 PM   #33
ratkity
Enthusiast
ratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five words

Device: Old Sony, Kindle 3G, Kindle Fire
Quote:
I wonder why mine is so high. I'm not reading any newspapers, magazines, or comics, no. Most of my books are amazon e-books, although some are epub books that I converted to .mobi format and I have 3 pdf's on there. I'm not currently looking at them though. The book I'm currently reading is an amazon ebook. It's the only book I have been reading since I got the fire so I'm not sure why mine runs so high. Any ideas?
Is it War and Peace?

Hugs,
Ratkity
ratkity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:33 PM   #34
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Those monitor programs aren't always truthful. The android has it own built in but of course Amazon removed this feature. If you use a certain program alot even if it's not one to drain the battery the percentage will still be high because it more calculates what time you spent on an app to get it's percentage.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:50 PM   #35
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Possible problems

Quote:
It may be that every time one opens the Amazon Kindle Reader, ALL book files are scanned. Thus, your epubs and PDF's may be soaking the battery.

You could experiment by removing all epubs and PDF's for a day and see what happens. If it makes a huge difference, then remove only the epubs and see what happens. Then put it back the next day and just remove the PDF's.

The difference between your percentage of over 47% and mine of .07% is huge. Something is causing that difference.

If non-Amazon formatted ebooks do cause a battery problem, then those, who use Calibre, may be in for battery problems. Many folks on this forum are complaining of very short Fire battery lives. This may be their problem. It may NOT be their game files.

I remember with my old Sony PRS ereader that, if PDF files were on the ereader, it had a tendency to lock up. Thus, their software was reading all their book files and the PDF's were destabilizing it even if one only opened their epubs.

Last edited by sirmaru; 12-09-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:31 PM   #36
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratkity View Post
Is it War and Peace?

Hugs,
Ratkity
LOL. It's not, but apparently it may as well be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Those monitor programs aren't always truthful. The android has it own built in but of course Amazon removed this feature. If you use a certain program alot even if it's not one to drain the battery the percentage will still be high because it more calculates what time you spent on an app to get it's percentage.
That could be it. I use my fire mostly for reading books lately, but I do also play a fair amount of games on it too.

Quote:
It may be that every time one opens the Amazon Kindle Reader, ALL book files are scanned. Thus, your epubs and PDF's may be soaking the battery.

You could experiment by removing all epubs and PDF's for a day and see what happens. If it makes a huge difference, then remove only the epubs and see what happens. Then put it back the next day and just remove the PDF's.
That's interesting and something I hadn't considered before. I do have all my books on my device. Maybe I should move some of the non-kindle books to the cloud and see. It's a weird quirk, but I like to keep all my books on my device just in case I want to access one. I may move them as an experiment though to see. I only have 3 pdf's, but who knows, it could be them as well. Thanks for your reply and suggestion.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:35 PM   #37
sirmaru
Wizard

Cloud may not do it.

Quote:
That's interesting and something I hadn't considered before. I do have all my books on my device. Maybe I should move some of the non-kindle books to the cloud and see. It's a weird quirk, but I like to keep all my books on my device just in case I want to access one. I may move them as an experiment though to see. I only have 3 pdf's, but who knows, it could be them as well. Thanks for your reply and suggestion.
The Amazon Kindle eReader on the Fire reads books on the device AND on the Cloud at the same time. Move the suspect files to your PC just for the experiment.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:06 PM   #38
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
The Amazon Kindle eReader on the Fire reads books on the device AND on the Cloud at the same time. Move the suspect files to your PC just for the experiment.
Ah, I see. Thank you!
Old 12-09-2011, 04:50 PM   #39
sirmaru
Wizard

Bugs in Baddass Battery Meter

Quote:
Ah, I see. Thank you!
My battery meter crossed to just 49% left matched by the Fire meter.

However, the Usage total shows only 21% used and 8 hours and 14 minutes also used. Obviously, that should be 51% and 4 hours and 7 minutes used.

Thus, this Meter has some serious bugs. Also, it now shows my Amazon Kindle (ebook reader) as consuming 13.2% of my battery whereas before it showed only 0.07%.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:54 PM   #40
ratkity
Enthusiast
ratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five words

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post

Interestingly, with a few hours usage:
I've played that angry birds thing, 1 video on vevo, 1 video on youtube, perused the bookstore and read a few reviews, updated one app.

Usage as follows:
Battery use (from 100%) - 14% (3.2 hrs)

Screen - 11.48%
Wifi Active - 8.91%
Held Awake - 0.13%
App Usage - 79.4% Broken into:

Amazon Kindle 25.05%
Youtube 24.95%
Kindle System 24.85%
Angry Birds 2.19%
Vevo - 0.08%

Hugs,
Ratkity

edited to add vevo
Old 12-09-2011, 09:06 PM   #41
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Interestingly, with a few hours usage:
I've played that angry birds thing, 1 video on vevo, 1 video on youtube, perused the bookstore and read a few reviews, updated one app.

Usage as follows:
Battery use (from 100%) - 14% (3.2 hrs)

Screen - 11.48%
Wifi Active - 8.91%
Held Awake - 0.13%
App Usage - 79.4% Broken into:

Amazon Kindle 25.05%
Youtube 24.95%
Kindle System 24.85%
Angry Birds 2.19%
Vevo - 0.08%

Hugs,
Ratkity

edited to add vevo
As I said before those apps don't show everything aren't really reliable. All I know Vevo was causing issues on my Fire and now it's gone it's behaving like it should. I had it on my phone and I guess it might be one of the ones I took off earlier this year and had forgotten its effects.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:28 AM   #42
ratkity
Enthusiast

Just an update on my KF battery life:

Took off YouTube - seemed to take battery life even if I wasn't using it. Vevo is behaving (so far).

I unplugged my KF at 8am. I streamed 5 episodes of a TV show yesterday (42min an episode?). Tried to kill some pigs for a few minutes. Browsed a few sites on Opera. My battery was at 70% at 9pm.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Old 12-15-2011, 08:54 AM   #43
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Just an update on my KF battery life:

Took off YouTube - seemed to take battery life even if I wasn't using it. Vevo is behaving (so far).

I unplugged my KF at 8am. I streamed 5 episodes of a TV show yesterday (42min an episode?). Tried to kill some pigs for a few minutes. Browsed a few sites on Opera. My battery was at 70% at 9pm.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Mine seems similar to yours. I streamed two episodes, played three from the device, browsed the web via Dolphin Mini for quite a while, checked my email. My battery was at 68% after this.

Yesterday, though I noticed my battery life was terrible. Although I don't keep a lot of apps on my Fire and I pretty much keep wifi toggled off unless I'm using it, I removed a few apps that I thought might be affecting it -- The Weather Channel, Gemini app manager, and several interactive kid apps. The problem seems to be fixed.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:12 PM   #44
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

My battery life has been better lately. Maybe I was just using it a lot when I first got it and I should take that into account. I use mine daily now (mainly for playing games and reading and some web surfing) and by the end of the day I do a full charge overnight. If I use it a ton I'll have to charge it at some point earlier if I want to use it that night. Then other days I have not charged it at all, depending, and I go 2 days on a charge.

Bad Ass Battery app says I'm getting 8 hours 20 minutes from my battery. Take that how you will, I don't know how accurate it is really.

I never did remove those pdf's and non Amazon books so I don't really think they take from the battery any more than the Amazon books do.