Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 09-28-2011, 07:05 PM   #16
tedr
tedr began at the beginning.

Device: entourage pocket edge
Still a problem

When I hit the reset button and restarted the PE, a screen came up that is blue background, has date and time at the top. In the center it says Entourage Edge and at the bottom two buttons with arrows facing each other. On the left a lock and on the right a speaker icon in the arrows. Neither will do anything and none of my tablet buttons work. The file I downloaded said pocketedgeermineupdate.zip, (and it was a link for the PE udate) which I renamed update.zip of course. Could the file have actually been an EE update? If so where do you suggest I download the update?
tedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:18 PM   #17
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedr View Post
When I hit the reset button and restarted the PE, a screen came up that is blue background, has date and time at the top. In the center it says Entourage Edge and at the bottom two buttons with arrows facing each other. On the left a lock and on the right a speaker icon in the arrows. Neither will do anything and none of my tablet buttons work. The file I downloaded said pocketedgeermineupdate.zip, (and it was a link for the PE udate) which I renamed update.zip of course. Could the file have actually been an EE update? If so where do you suggest I download the update?
You got the right update. You are almost there. Press and hold the Lock icon and drag it (slide it) to the opposite side of the screen to unlock the tablet. Enjoy!

Last edited by obsessed2; 09-28-2011 at 08:22 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 09:50 PM   #18
tedr

It works

Thanks Obsessed2 for the info. I dragged the arrow to the right and Voila - It works. Where do I check the version installed. I thought it was in settings before but now I don't see it. Again, thanks so much for your help!
Old 09-29-2011, 01:40 AM   #19
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Look under Settings/About eDGe. You should see that you have Ermine!

Well done!

P.S. That lock is confusing/annoying to lots of people.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:00 PM   #20
tedr

It Works

Thanks for the info Filark. It didn't show on screen - found it when I scrolled down. Can Youtube videos be viewed with Ermine on the pocket edge? Is there an app that needs to be downloaded?
Advert
Old 09-29-2011, 05:02 PM   #21
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

[QUOTE=tedr;1763721 Can Youtube videos be viewed with Ermine on the pocket edge? Is there an app that needs to be downloaded?[/QUOTE]

YouTube videos will play using either the Miren or xScope browser directly from the YouTube webpage.

Also, there is an alternate YouTube Player that works with the Pocket eDGe:

http://www.freewarelovers.com/android/app/youtube

Now that you got Ermine working take a quick peek at my Resources Sticky on the top of the forum. I have detailed several excellent Apps that I have tested and know to work with the eDGe and Pocket eDGe with Ermine installed.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132878
Old 09-30-2011, 03:26 PM   #22
w1ksz
Connoisseur
w1ksz began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket EdGe
Something tells me when you upgrade you lose your bookmarks ?? Unless they are stashed somewhere else.

Did I lose them ??
w1ksz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:28 PM   #23
w1ksz
Connoisseur
w1ksz began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket EdGe
The lost has been found. Change for the sake of change, that's what I love about S/W upgrades !!
w1ksz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:21 PM   #24
FSD08
FSD08 began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge, Kindle
Ermine stuck at home screen Dingo reinstall cannot scan for networks

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
From the looks of things it appears that the Entourage website is history. Which means the links to the Ermine updates from Entourage are history as well. For all new owners, here are some instructions on how to update your device.

Be aware that Entourage released the 2.2 update as a Beta only. The Beta is fairly polished for the Pocket Edge and has minor issues on some full size Edges. Most Edge owners, including myself, will tell you it is worth doing. I own three Edges, 2 PEs and and an EE and all three have the Ermine update. On the PE the update is practically flawless. On some EEs (not all) the update can cause hibernation, camera, and browser issues.

After you install the update check out the Resources for New Edge and Pocket Edge Owners Sticky to quickly get the most out of your device. Have fun.

To install the update:

1. Download the Ermine Update file for Edge or Pocket Edge. I strongly recommend you download the update via a PC. The update is 144 MB and will take a little time to download.

Pocket Edge: http://www.4shared.com/file/svMkSPUp...ineupdate.html

Edge: http://www.4shared.com/file/mtwbUuma...ineupdate.html

2. Rename the file: update.zip
3. Place this file in the root (not a subdirectory) of a USB stick OR an SD card formatted FAT32.
4. Verify your Edge/Pocket Edge is OFF.
5. Insert the USB stick into a USB port on the device OR insert the SD card into the SD slot.
6. While holding down the MENU and ROTATE buttons on the LCD side of the device, slide or press the POWER switch. Do NOT release the MENU and ROTATE buttons.
7. CONTINUE to hold the MENU and ROTATE buttons down.
8. After about 1 minute or less you should see an "Updating software" splash screen at which point you can release the MENU and ROTATE buttons.
9. After about 5 minutes or less the device will reboot and will be running the Ermine BETA build.

If you do not like Ermine you can downgrade back to Dingo 1.6. The procedure is exactly the same as above.

Pocket Edge Dingo 1.6: http://www.4shared.com/file/fCBygbcg...16_update.html

Edge Dingo 1.6: http://www.edge.ympsa.com/restorefac...fullsizeEE.zip
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I must compliment you on the effort you have put forth in support of the Pocket Edge. I updated to Ermine as directed without a problem, - I had arrived at the home screen without a problem, except there were no applications. I pressed the home button, then menu button - nothing happened, I then tried to rotate the display and nothing happened (the USB drive was still inserted at this time). I removed the USB drive and tried the buttons again and, again, nothing happened. I looked at the content of the USB drive and the "Update.zip" file had been replaced with a directory labeled "Lost.Dir". I reformatted the drive, wrote the update zip file to it and I re-updated with Ermine with the same results.

I finally downgraded back to Dingo 1.6 which went well, until I dismissed the registration screen and touched the 4 corners - left top below banner, bottom left corner, bottom right corner and right top below the banner to bypass the perpetual registration Code 80 loop. and was presented with the home screen and a "The process android.process.media has stopped unexpectedly, please try again with an option to "Force Close" , which I executed and was returned to the home screen. All buttons worked, but when I attempted to connect to my wi-fi, I received an error message, "unable to scan for networks". I manually configured the network, but was again met with the same error message.I reinstalled Ermine with the same results as before and once again, return to Dingo 1.6 with the same results.
I have six questions,

1:was I correct in removing the USB drive after the home screen appeared and settled in after about 5 minutes?
2. When should the USB drive be removed?
3. Is there a button combination to break through the Ermine home screen?. 4. Is there a work around to eliminate the "Force Close" message in Dingo?
5. Is there a work around to allow scanning for wireless networks in Dingo?
6. Is there a repair patch to install that will allow android.process.media to complete its run.

Any suggestions will be most appreciated. As of now, I think I might have a brick.

Thanks in advance
FSD08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:17 AM   #25
glow
Book and Gadget Fan
glow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nooks GL3, ST w/GL, Color, HD+; Kindles Voyage & Paperwhite; PE, EE
I suspect by 'Ermine home screen' you mean the lock screen. You need to slide to unlock. You will then see the real home screen, and be able to access all your apps by tapping the 'X' to open the app drawer.
glow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:44 PM   #26
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSD08 View Post
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I must compliment you on the effort you have put forth in support of the Pocket Edge. I updated to Ermine as directed without a problem, - I had arrived at the home screen without a problem, except there were no applications. I pressed the home button, then menu button - nothing happened, I then tried to rotate the display and nothing happened (the USB drive was still inserted at this time). I removed the USB drive and tried the buttons again and, again, nothing happened. I looked at the content of the USB drive and the "Update.zip" file had been replaced with a directory labeled "Lost.Dir". I reformatted the drive, wrote the update zip file to it and I re-updated with Ermine with the same results.

I finally downgraded back to Dingo 1.6 which went well, until I dismissed the registration screen and touched the 4 corners - left top below banner, bottom left corner, bottom right corner and right top below the banner to bypass the perpetual registration Code 80 loop. and was presented with the home screen and a "The process android.process.media has stopped unexpectedly, please try again with an option to "Force Close" , which I executed and was returned to the home screen. All buttons worked, but when I attempted to connect to my wi-fi, I received an error message, "unable to scan for networks". I manually configured the network, but was again met with the same error message.I reinstalled Ermine with the same results as before and once again, return to Dingo 1.6 with the same results.
I have six questions,

1:was I correct in removing the USB drive after the home screen appeared and settled in after about 5 minutes?
2. When should the USB drive be removed?
3. Is there a button combination to break through the Ermine home screen?. 4. Is there a work around to eliminate the "Force Close" message in Dingo?
5. Is there a work around to allow scanning for wireless networks in Dingo?
6. Is there a repair patch to install that will allow android.process.media to complete its run.

Any suggestions will be most appreciated. As of now, I think I might have a brick.

Thanks in advance

Thank you for the kind words. From the sounds of it you had the Ermine update installed and you met the slide lock screen. The upgrade procedure you reference is known to work, however, I have posted official Ermine upgrade instructions from Entourage in my Resource Sticky. Attached to the bottom of the Sticky posting.

Now, as far as your questions:

1) No. The USB drive should NEVER be removed with the Edge On without Unmounting it First. Just like a PC, failure to properly Stop, Eject, or Unmount an external drive before removing it can result in damage to the drive or the device. To Unmount the USB Drive: Press Library, and in the Library Pull Down select Storage. Long Press the USB Drive and select Unmount. Now it is safe to remove the drive.

2) See # 1

3) To start using your eDGe after the Ermine update is installed, press and hold the Lock icon and drag it to the opposite side of the screen. To open Apps touch the big X near the bottom of the Home Screen.

4) The force close error is likely the result of multiple upgrade and downgrade attempts. This error message sounds like a problem with storage (e.g. Internal Storage, external SD card, USB). If you have an external SD card you may want to remove it and see what happens. Also, check to make sure you didn't run into a problem with your Internal Storage (Settings, Device Storage. You should see 322 MB for App storage and Internal Storage should be 2.94 GB if no SD external SD card is installed). Hopefully, you don't have an internal storage problem. However, a few users have reported correcting Internal Storage problems with an OS downgrade.

5) I'm sure you have already verified all this, but just in case double check that Airplane Mode is unchecked and Wi-Fi is checked (Settings, Network Controls). After you have verified this press W-Fi settings and press the MENU button and select Scan and see what happens. Like I said, you may have already tried these so excuse if I'm covering old ground.

6) You may want to revert the Pocket Edge to the original Dingo Build (1.13). This is not an upgrade OR a downgrade. It is a complete reformat of the Pocket Edge and all user data and configurations will be deleted. Dingo 1.6 was released as an upgrade to 1.13 with no loss of user data so trying to downgrade to it after a couple of Ermine update attempts may be causing a problem. Take a look at my Resource Sticky linked to above and download the Pocket Edge 1.13 Dingo Golden. Make sure to download the correct file as there is a link to the full size Edge file. Then scroll to the bottom of the Sticky and download the Revert from Ermine back to Dingo PDF. When you did your previous downgrade, if you did NOT have to do a paper clip RESET after 20 minutes, then you may want to downgrade to Dingo 1.13 which will completely wipe and reformat the Pocket Edge. You can then upgrade Dingo 1.13 to Dingo 1.6 (no loss of user data) or to the Ermine beta (again, no loss of personal data).

I think you may have run into a few problems based on the multiple upgrade attempts and then the downgrade attempt. It doesn't sound like you bricked your device and a clean install of Dingo 1.13 may help with your problems. Best of luck and keep us posted on your progress. BTW, welcome to the MobileRead Edge Forum. I believe everything is going to turn out OK.

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-09-2011 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:47 PM   #27
FSD08

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by glow View Post
I suspect by 'Ermine home screen' you mean the lock screen. You need to slide to unlock. You will then see the real home screen, and be able to access all your apps by tapping the 'X' to open the app drawer.
Thank you for your prompt reply. I reinstalled Ermine and applied your suggestion and "Voila" everything was there. If fact, the Wi-Fi connection I had set up when I first set up the PE by bypassing the "error 80" screen, immediately was reconnected after turning on Wi-Fi.

Many Thanks
Old 11-09-2011, 02:03 PM   #28
FSD08

Thanks & Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
Thank you for the kind words. From the sounds of it you had the Ermine update installed and you met the slide lock screen. The upgrade procedure you reference is known to work, however, I have posted official Ermine upgrade instructions from Entourage in my Resource Sticky. Attached to the bottom of the Sticky posting.

Now, as far as your questions:

1) No. The USB drive should NEVER be removed with the Edge On without Unmounting it First. Just like a PC, failure to properly Stop, Eject, or Unmount an external drive before removing it can result in damage to the drive or the device. To Unmount the USB Drive: Press Library, and in the Library Pull Down select Storage. Long Press the USB Drive and select Unmount. Now it is safe to remove the drive.

2) See # 1

3) To start using your eDGe after the Ermine update is installed, press and hold the Lock icon and drag it to the opposite side of the screen. To open Apps touch the big X near the bottom of the Home Screen.

4) The force close error is likely the result of multiple upgrade and downgrade attempts. This error message sounds like a problem with storage (e.g. Internal Storage, external SD card, USB). If you have an external SD card you may want to remove it and see what happens. Also, check to make sure you didn't run into a problem with your Internal Storage (Settings, Device Storage. You should see 322 MB for App storage and Internal Storage should be 2.94 GB if no SD external SD card is installed). Hopefully, you don't have an internal storage problem. However, a few users have reported correcting Internal Storage problems with an OS downgrade.

5) I'm sure you have already verified all this, but just in case double check that Airplane Mode is unchecked and Wi-Fi is checked (Settings, Network Controls). After you have verified this press W-Fi settings and press the MENU button and select Scan and see what happens. Like I said, you may have already tried these so excuse if I'm covering old ground.

6) You may want to revert the Pocket Edge to the original Dingo Build (1.13). This is not an upgrade OR a downgrade. It is a complete reformat of the Pocket Edge and all user data and configurations will be deleted. Dingo 1.6 was released as an upgrade to 1.13 with no loss of user data so trying to downgrade to it after a couple of Ermine update attempts may be causing a problem. Take a look at my Resource Sticky linked to above and download the Pocket Edge 1.13 Dingo Golden. Make sure to download the correct file as there is a link to the full size Edge file. Then scroll to the bottom of the Sticky and download the Revert from Ermine back to Dingo PDF. When you did your previous downgrade, if you did NOT have to do a paper clip RESET after 20 minutes, then you may want to downgrade to Dingo 1.13 which will completely wipe and reformat the Pocket Edge. You can then upgrade Dingo 1.13 to Dingo 1.6 (no loss of user data) or to the Ermine beta (again, no loss of personal data).

I think you may have run into a few problems based on the multiple upgrade attempts and then the downgrade attempt. It doesn't sound like you bricked your device and a clean install of Dingo 1.13 may help with your problems. Best of luck and keep us posted on your progress. BTW, welcome to the MobileRead Edge Forum. I believe everything is going to turn out OK.
I greatly appreciate the promptness with which both you and "glow" responded. Your suggestions worked well - especially "unmounting" the USB drive. My daughter wanted to get a reader for ouir grandson and when I saw the PE on Woot, I suggested this as a better option than a reader only. Not only did she order one for our grandson, she ordered one for a another friend to give to her daughter. I was presented with setting up the PE two days ago and after initiating the registration process and accessing my network I arrived at the Code 80 error screen. Mobileread provided me with a work-around and that was a big help. The user interface was somewhat cludgy and youtube videos would not play and many of the apps would not install. Enter your posts and the rest is history. I told our daughter that I would buy both her PE and her friend's for what they had paid. If I'm lucky I will get her friend's PE as she was spooked during setup and isn't happy - For $80 I couldn't do better with a mask and a gun.

Many Thanks for your support and dedication to this forum
Old 11-09-2011, 02:16 PM   #29
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSD08 View Post
Thank you for your prompt reply. I reinstalled Ermine and applied your suggestion and "Voila" everything was there. If fact, the Wi-Fi connection I had set up when I first set up the PE by bypassing the "error 80" screen, immediately was reconnected after turning on Wi-Fi.

Many Thanks

Glad everything worked out OK. You still have a few things to do to make the Pocket Edge fully useable like enable Digital Rights Management (so you can read protected e-books), calibrate the reader screen etc. Take a look at my Resource Sticky.

Also, browse the forum because there is so much information out there about the Edge. My Resource Sticky only scratches the surface and is information I hope will be helpful for new owners so they can quickly get the most out of their device without doing a lot of searching. Again, happy everything turned out OK. Now go have some fun.

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-09-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:56 PM   #30
glow
Book and Gadget Fan
glow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nooks GL3, ST w/GL, Color, HD+; Kindles Voyage & Paperwhite; PE, EE
Best of luck and enjoy!
glow is offline   Reply With Quote