Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 06-05-2011, 07:08 PM   #61
smirkette
smirkette began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge, Kindle v.1
Hey Sarasuru,

I had a devil of a time trying to update my PE on my Mac (my attempt to upgrade to Ermine stuck my PE in a boot-up loop, so I wanted to downgrade it using the Golden Update). I had absolutely no success until switched to my Windows XP-running netbook to download the file, reformat the USB to FAT (not FAT 32), copy the file onto the USB drive, and use that to update, which worked!

So if all else fails, try getting your hands on a Windows machine? Good luck! I remember just how miserable it felt...
smirkette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:22 AM   #62
geckoFeet
Resident Reptile
geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.geckoFeet knows what's going on.

Device: entourage edge
Hmmm ... could be that the original download was garbled because the system thought it was a text file rather than a binary file.
geckoFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2011, 03:32 PM   #63
Sarasuru
Sarasuru began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by smirkette View Post
Hey Sarasuru,

I had a devil of a time trying to update my PE on my Mac (my attempt to upgrade to Ermine stuck my PE in a boot-up loop, so I wanted to downgrade it using the Golden Update). I had absolutely no success until switched to my Windows XP-running netbook to download the file, reformat the USB to FAT (not FAT 32), copy the file onto the USB drive, and use that to update, which worked!

So if all else fails, try getting your hands on a Windows machine? Good luck! I remember just how miserable it felt...
Wow. That sounds super frustrating! Luckily emusan's advice worked like a charm. If Ermine starts going all funky on me I'll try fixing it from Windows-XP. I want to get that running on my Mac through bootcamp anyway.

Thanks for all the help, folks!
Sarasuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:52 PM   #64
sjpadilla
sjpadilla began at the beginning.

Device: enTourage Pocket eDGe dualbook
How is this working out for everybody? Did it trash any apps? Did your library survive?
sjpadilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:51 AM   #65
mrb186
mrb186 began at the beginning.

Device: edge dualbook
Here's a dumb question: What do I have, EE or PE?? This is what I have coming from Woot: enTourage Pocket eDGe Dualbook. I assume this must be a "PE"?? I've already downloaded one of the zip files, but not sure which one. Not exactly a quick process with my "Road Runner Lite" service.
mrb186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2011, 09:17 AM   #66
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb186 View Post
Here's a dumb question: What do I have, EE or PE?? This is what I have coming from Woot: enTourage Pocket eDGe Dualbook. I assume this must be a "PE"?? I've already downloaded one of the zip files, but not sure which one. Not exactly a quick process with my "Road Runner Lite" service.
PE = Pocket Edge 7"
EE = Original Entourage Edge 10"
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:16 PM   #67
syclone
Zealot
syclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enough

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge iPhone 4S IPad 1 iPad 2 Nook Touch 4 Palm Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlanrat View Post
This reply is in response to lorenzoens over here: http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/showthread.php?2059
Hopefully he will find it.

To install the update:
The steps are the same as downgrading from Ermine to Dingo. (https://www.entourageedge.com/suppor...leid=263&nav=0)
1. Download the file and rename it to update.zip
Does the pEdge do the unzipping or do you have to unzip and upload the unzipped files into the thumb drive?

Thanks.
syclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:18 PM   #68
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by syclone View Post
Does the pEdge do the unzipping or do you have to unzip and upload the unzipped files into the thumb drive?

Thanks.
it will do the unzipping, just place the zip file in the root as you see it(other than renaming if needed). Also, ES file explore can unzip .zip files if you need it to.
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:52 PM   #69
syclone
Zealot
syclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enough

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge iPhone 4S IPad 1 iPad 2 Nook Touch 4 Palm Pilot

Wow! Thanks for the fast reply.

Although, I don't know if your Avatar and my Avatar are compatible
syclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:46 PM   #70
isalivia2003
isalivia2003 began at the beginning.

Device: pocket edge
Got mine from Woot Friday, (it didnt have too far to travel) i have been trying for days w/o sucess to update to ermine, got it done finally by :
1)changing usb stick to Fat not fat32, (done by formatting usb)
2)also changed properties of file to opens with adobe pdf (right click look at properties)
3)also named it 'update' not update.zip.zip (will still be update.zip in properties)
4) i held down those 2 keys until i saw the updating screen. (longer than 10 secs)

i am not the most computer literate person but I dont consider myself to be helpless...
anyway hope this helps any wooters who will be on here trying to figure this out after they get theirs in the mail soon, good luck I am off to hook mine up with my local library now
isalivia2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:26 PM   #71
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by isalivia2003 View Post
Got mine from Woot Friday, (it didnt have too far to travel) i have been trying for days w/o sucess to update to ermine, got it done finally by :
1)changing usb stick to Fat not fat32, (done by formatting usb)
2)also changed properties of file to opens with adobe pdf (right click look at properties)
3)also named it 'update' not update.zip.zip (will still be update.zip in properties)
4) i held down those 2 keys until i saw the updating screen. (longer than 10 secs)

i am not the most computer literate person but I dont consider myself to be helpless...
anyway hope this helps any wooters who will be on here trying to figure this out after they get theirs in the mail soon, good luck I am off to hook mine up with my local library now
I'm not sure what you were trying to do.

Yes change the format of the USB stick to FAT if necessary.

Your second item does not make any sense at all - how do you look at a zip file with adobe pdf, I assume reader, it won't see anything.

How did you end up with update.zip.zip when all you had to do was copy update.zip to the USB stick?

It looks as if most of your problems were of your own making by relying on windows and not realising the default action in a windows file viewer is to hide the extension of the file.

Sorry to sound hard but I have seen too many people make mistakes by thinking windows will do it for them.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:19 AM   #72
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Welcome to MobileRead and the PE, isalivia!

I'm glad you found a way to update your PE. Thanks for sharing your experience -- someone else may be going down the same path you did.

I hope you had no trouble hooking up to your library. If you did, give a holler. That's one of the few things I actually know about! (Although I usually put my library books through Calibre before copying them to my eDGes). Having access to library books is one of the great things about the PE and EE, in my opinion.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:38 AM   #73
manbass
Enthusiast
manbass began at the beginning.

Device: Full EE - Ice Blue and a Pocket Edge
I need some one to confirm...a new EE cannot go from 0.24 Badger directly to Ermine Froyo 2.2 with the EE Ermine update zip file...correct? I must find a Dingo update first? Is that the "Golden" file? Not sure how to update the OS on the EE from raw Badger 0.24 to Froyo.

I upgraded from PE to EE just to work a bigger size Jounal and there is no Jounal in the EE.

Dangit.

Appreciate any help.

Last edited by manbass; 07-05-2011 at 11:40 AM.
manbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:55 AM   #74
garyhgaryh
Zealot
garyhgaryh began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Hi I bought a PE from WOOT last week and am expecting it in the mail this coming thur. For some reason I'm really excited about this purchase since I originally was to buy a Transformer (ASus). This dualbook will hold me over until a better one comes out next year or the price drop on the Transformer.

Anyways, will this update to 2.2 will support the dual display since the update is from Entourage (someone correct me if I am wrong)? In the future, if I update to a newer version of the OS from a generic source, will I lose the dual book functionality (the interoperability between the ereader and tablet screens)?

Thanks,
Gary
garyhgaryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:22 PM   #75
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhgaryh View Post
Anyways, will this update to 2.2 will support the dual display since the update is from Entourage (someone correct me if I am wrong)?
It will and it does.
Quote:
In the future, if I update to a newer version of the OS from a generic source, will I lose the dual book functionality (the interoperability between the ereader and tablet screens)?
More likely than not. As I see it today each new upgrade completely wipes out old release. eDGe has a renderer for eink which can't be backed up, at least with Titanium.
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote