Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-04-2011, 08:57 PM   #1
pmatch1104
Enthusiast
pmatch1104 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Installer Error on Update 0.7.48

When I tried to update calibre to version 0.7.48, I received a Windows Installer error that says ...

"This installation package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package."

I've never had this problem before downloading updates. Has anyone else had this problem. I'm using a HP laptop running Windows 7.
pmatch1104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:53 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Maybe the download didn't work. Try downloading again. I downloaded 0.7.48 and it worked fine here.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2011, 02:48 AM   #3
Corey.Langner
Corey.Langner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I am getting the exact same error on a WINXP Pro SP3 machine.

I have deleted the download file, but the temp file must still exist because when I try downloading again, it gives me the message immediately without downloading.

I guess I wait for #49.
Corey.Langner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:04 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey.Langner View Post
I have deleted the download file, but the temp file must still exist because when I try downloading again, it gives me the message immediately without downloading.
Gives you what message immediately?

Have you tried the alternate download location?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:37 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey.Langner View Post
I am getting the exact same error on a WINXP Pro SP3 machine.

I guess I wait for #49.
XP pro SP3 installed like a dream.
Delete your previous D/L and try again
After reading the Release notes, I was expecting a big delay while the Database structure was up dated. What delay? It sure was not noticible on this here ol' P4
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2011, 09:54 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
XP pro SP3 installed like a dream.
Delete your previous D/L and try again
After reading the Release notes, I was expecting a big delay while the Database structure was up dated. What delay? It sure was not noticible on this here ol' P4
The time of the delay depends on how many books you have in your db and how many of them have isbns. For a thousand or two I doubt the delay would have been very noticeable.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:01 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The time of the delay depends on how many books you have in your db and how many of them have isbns. For a thousand or two I doubt the delay would have been very noticeable.
2100 books and it was done in a
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:07 PM   #8
doiron
doiron began at the beginning.

Device: none
I've also been having problems getting Calibre to install, both .48 and .47 get to the end of installation and then go into "rolling back installation" which finally pops up an error of "calibre Setup Wizard ended prematurely because of an error."

plenty of space on drive, no antivirus, windows xp sp3. downloaded the install from multiple places, same result.

Last edited by doiron; 03-06-2011 at 01:00 PM. Reason: fixed version # typo
doiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:21 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by doiron View Post
I've also been having problems getting Calibre to install, both .38 and .37 get to the end of installation and then go into "rolling back installation" which finally pops up an error of "calibre Setup Wizard ended prematurely because of an error."
What OS are you using?

Why are you trying 0.7.37 and 0.7.38 and not 0.7.48?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:19 PM   #10
doiron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
What OS are you using?

Why are you trying 0.7.37 and 0.7.38 and not 0.7.48?
as stated, windows XP sp3. the .37/.38 was a typo, should've been .47/.48
Old 03-06-2011, 01:09 AM   #11
emmad
Enthusiast
emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle WiFi
I have windows xp and getting the same error. Have tried from both download locations.
emmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 04:08 AM   #12
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
This is not necessarily a WinXP error, I'm running XP SP3 as well and have never had problems with the downloads. Are you using a download manager? Is there an antivirus package that might interfere with the downloads?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:06 PM   #13
doiron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
This is not necessarily a WinXP error, I'm running XP SP3 as well and have never had problems with the downloads. Are you using a download manager? Is there an antivirus package that might interfere with the downloads?
Again, no antivirus. No download manager. I've now tried with two different web browsers from two different locations and two different versions. The file is downloading just fine.

When installing, the progress bar fills twice, and after the "creating shortcuts" stage it goes into "rolling back installation" and finally pops up the error message.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:27 PM   #14
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by doiron View Post
When installing, the progress bar fills twice, and after the "creating shortcuts" stage it goes into "rolling back installation" and finally pops up the error message.
Try uninstalling Calibre and reinstalling. (Your preferences and books should be untouched by this.)
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:48 PM   #15
doiron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Try uninstalling Calibre and reinstalling. (Your preferences and books should be untouched by this.)
this is a first-time installation; there's nothing to uninstall.