Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-22-2014, 03:43 AM   #16
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I'd not buy a Nook Glow for all the reasons mentioned above, but mainly because Amazon are superior in every way, device, infrastructure and support.
I agree that Amazon's infrastructure is superior. But the Nook Simple Touch was a really nice device. I think it compares favorably with the Kindles, especially since it had a microSD slot. I read a lot of books on the NST and still use it regularly.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:57 AM   #17
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscarbo View Post
I don't much care about the relatively minor differences in hardware between the various brands of e-readers. All of them work fine for reading ebooks. I prefer the Kindle PW, at least for US customers, because of superior customer service and support and better selection and prices of ebooks.
This pretty much sums it up for me. I have had an NST for over two years and liked it. I first bought a Kindle because I was thinking of self-publishing (mostly making eBooks from old public domain books) and I figured I needed to add a Kindle to see what the mobi formatted books looked like when converted to eReader format. What I discovered with the Kindles (and all the E-Ink Kindles I've tried have also been solid) is that Amazon's book store, "Send to Kindle" and the whole infrastructure is amazing. Nothing like it with B&N. But, for just reading, the Nook Simple Touch was/is great and compares well with the Kindles. I can't speak for the new Nook Glowlight -- I haven't used it.

Last edited by rcentros; 04-22-2014 at 04:05 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:21 AM   #18
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingVulcan View Post
Also, some B&N locations still carry house stock of the SimpleTouch without the glow light. I paid $59 for mine, recently, and the location has one other available.
BestBuy is still clearing them out at $50 new. And manufacturer refurbished units can be bought for $40 on eBay (which includes s/h). Or look around pawnshops. I see them for $25 or $30 all over the place -- and these are usually in like-new condition. I bought a Nook Simple Touch Glowlight (in good condition) for $30.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:42 AM   #19
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
The older Glowlight might be slower than the Paperwhite but the newer one seems the same speed to me.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:11 PM   #20
erk
Enthusiast
erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.

Device: SONY PRS505
I can't encourage everyone enough to buy a Nook of some sort.
If enough people contribute their reading habits to B&N, they might actually be able to monetize their immense database and leave the last physical bookstores in my area.
erk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:02 AM   #21
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
We have a stack of Nooks (3 HD and 1 HD+) in the house. But I don't buy any content from BN.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:09 PM   #22
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
We have a stack of Nooks (3 HD and 1 HD+) in the house. But I don't buy any content from BN.
Yeah, that was the problem with B&N's Nook tablet marketing. They sold their tablets for very good prices (especially when they first came out) but they didn't have much content to sell for them. So people would root them and install their apps from Google Play. Most serious book readers (who bought their books from B&N) used their E-Ink devices. So, in the long run, B&N helped bring down the prices of tablets, but they didn't get much benefit from it.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:58 PM   #23
Readirect
Zealot
Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: KPW1
The new Nook Glowlight (the white model) has taken a lot of hits since its introduction and in some ways it IS vastly inferior to the older glowlight (the black model) since they removed the sd card and the white's lighting is not THAT much better than the black's. They also increased the storage to 4GB BUT only 500mb is available for sideloading (still more than black's BUT substantially less than the Kindle PW.) The white's lighting is also inferior to the PW2 (with a "smudge" at the very top of the screen) but not much moreso than the PW1 (which has the smudge at the bottom).

STILL, there *are* some not commonly stated advantages for the white Nook vs the Kindle. First, no matter what others say, IMHO the Nook software is definitely superior; the grouping feature (Nook calls it "shelves") works much better than Amazon collections (much faster, prettier --to me --and it doesn't have the cloud issues of the Kindle. The home screen is also better IMHO although they could lose the BN advertising at the bottom-half. If the software is slower overall than the Kindle *I* haven't noticed it, and the frontlight defaults to off when the Nook is unlocked; saving battery life if you don't need it. PLUS, the Nook's hyphenating software seems to work much better, making the ebook more pleasant to read. Finally, the Nook always seems to be on sale at holiday times and is (about) $60 less than the non-special offers Kindle at those times. The Nook, btw, does NOT have special offers (AKA, annoying advertising).

Still, the Amazon bookstore is much better than the Nook's SO ... IF you can find the Nook White on sale AND you sideload your books (via Calibre) rather than shopping mostly in the device's bookstore AND you have less than 500mb of books AND you don't mind the not-really-annoying smudge at the top of the screen THEN I'd go with the Nook Glowlight White (the latest model). IF you're handy with jailbreaking OR you've got a LOT of books AND you don't mind a slightly inferior frontlight (not really a problem by any means IMHO) at a lower price THEN I'd try to find a Nook Glowlight Black (the prior model with the SD card) Otherwise, I'd go with the Kindle PaperWhite 2.

Personally, I have a Nook GL Black, a Nook GL White and a Kindle PaperWhite1. I like all of them but I find the PW the most annoying of the 3; mainly because of the problems with the latest firmware update. Lately, I seem to be using the Nook Black (jailbroken) more and more; mostly for the sd card than anything else. Plus, it REALLY annoys me than Amazon gives the Japanese a Kindle PaperWhite with DOUBLE the storage at a lower price than they give Americans. WTF, Amazon?
Readirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:32 PM   #24
erk
Enthusiast
erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.

Device: SONY PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readirect View Post
STILL, there *are* some not commonly stated advantages for the white Nook vs the Kindle. First, no matter what others say, IMHO the Nook software is definitely superior; the grouping feature (Nook calls it "shelves") works much better than Amazon collections (much faster, prettier --to me --and it doesn't have the cloud issues of the Kindle.
Why does everyone discount the "cloud issues" of the Nook?
erk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:06 PM   #25
Smartie
Addict
Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW,KOBO H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I currently have a Paperwhite 1, a Kobo Aura and have had a Nook Glow (the first one). If I could only have one ereader it would be a Paperwhite.

I adore my Kobo Aura but if I had to choose I would pick Amazon, they have the best support and infrastructure. I'd not buy a Nook Glow for all the reasons mentioned above, but mainly because Amazon are superior in every way, device, infrastructure and support.
How do you justify having 3 ereaders? Need find an excuse for myself. I have kobo touch,glo and kindle
Smartie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:16 PM   #26
jtdolphins
Zealot
jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by livramax View Post
If you can do without the glow light, the Nook Simple Touch ("2nd Ed") which comes with a SD card slot can be had for ~ $50 new from Ebay. For the very same reason of long reading battery life, the NST is still my go-to tablet for pure reading in/outside the home.
Officemax.com has the simple touch for 35$.

I didn't really need one, but I always liked the simple touch. Now that my kids are borrowing my kindle, its nice to have an extra e-reader around. I prefer amazon system.
jtdolphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:47 PM   #27
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
How do you justify having 3 ereaders? Need find an excuse for myself. I have kobo touch,glo and kindle
If anyone asks I just say I never sold my old ones when I upgraded and they have different genres of books on each one so all get used
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:02 PM   #28
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
I love the older Nooks because I can put all my ebooks on an SD card. I would pick up an older one on sale.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:49 AM   #29
samosa
Groupie
samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, AuraHD, AuraH2O, GloHD, Mini, DXG, PW123, Voyage, NookSTG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readirect View Post
Plus, it REALLY annoys me than Amazon gives the Japanese a Kindle PaperWhite with DOUBLE the storage at a lower price than they give Americans. WTF, Amazon?
I think they do it to everyone except Japanese, not only Americans. So unfair.
samosa is offline   Reply With Quote