Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Vote for your choice.
Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman 15 25.42%
The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan 6 10.17%
The Voyage of the Minotaur by Wesley Allison 5 8.47%
Kraken by China Mieville 8 13.56%
The King of Elfland's Daughter by Lord Dunsany 8 13.56%
The Winds of Khalakovo by Bradley Beaulieu 1 1.69%
Nation by Terry Pratchett 5 8.47%
Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson 6 10.17%
The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin 2 3.39%
Oath of Swords by David Weber 3 5.08%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-22-2012, 12:07 PM   #16
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So based on all of that, the best book is The Lightning Thief.
There is a huge spectrum of votes in most reviews, from 1 to 5 stars, and all of us will fall somewhere on that spectrum. What makes it good for one might make is unpalatable to another. You cannot categorically state a book is best because it has the most votes.

If you took a vote on the most popular programme on TV in the UK, it would be Eastenders, probably. I personally find it mindless drivel.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:48 PM   #17
charmstr
charmstr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I voted for Kraken because I just finished reading it last month and loved it. Discussing it would be a pleasure. Second choice would be the Lord Dunsany book. After reading the description, I plan on reading it whether it wins or not.

I'm interested in seeing how this all turns out!
charmstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:44 AM   #18
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well this was one of the few times I didn't vote strategically based on visible voting. I stayed with my nomination of Kraken because it really is what I'd want to read and I'm hoping enough people get on board before the end and push it into the vote-off.

However, if I were voting strategically I definitely would have voted for The Lightning Thief, as out of the higher votes at the moment, it is the one I'd prefer to read.

I wonder if it will make any difference.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:48 AM   #19
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Well I'm not voting this month. I'll join in on discussions if Neverwhere wins because I've read the book (one of my favorites) but the rest of the choices aren't really my cup of tea.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:46 AM   #20
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I wouldn't mind seeing The King of Elfland's Daughter win. I read it, and I am a fantasy fan, but I found it little too dry for my tastes. I would be interested to see what the scifi/fantasy crowd thought.

I voted for The Voyage of the Minotaur, but wouldn't mind Neverwhere winning.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:28 AM   #21
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Speaking of which, Wes has posted an offer in Author Self-Promotions, where users can pick up The Voyage of the Minotaur for free with a coupon (offer ends May 22, 2012).
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:25 AM   #22
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Although Neverwhere is running away with it a little, it's interesting to see the spread of other votes.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:06 AM   #23
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
This is a genre that I have very little interest in, but I try to challenge myself to widen my horizons now and then. I decided to go for the The King of ELfland's Daughter.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:37 AM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The one thing I have noticed is that with the hidden votes, we get a better spread and less of a runaway because people vote more in line with what they want to read instead of who voted for what or how many votes a book has. I see some books not getting many more votes if at all because we have people here thinking that it's a wasted vote.

That's why I'd personally like a hidden vote for ALL the votes. The results are more meaningful.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:44 AM   #25
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The one thing I have noticed is that with the hidden votes, we get a better spread and less of a runaway because people vote more in line with what they want to read instead of who voted for what or how many votes a book has. I see some books not getting many more votes if at all because we have people here thinking that it's a wasted vote.

That's why I'd personally like a hidden vote for ALL the votes. The results are more meaningful.
I wish you brought this up before the voting started!

Old 04-23-2012, 11:49 AM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I wish you brought this up before the voting started!

This is a topic that's been brought up lots of time before. And we've even had people admitting that they vote lemming style.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:53 AM   #27
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
This is a topic that's been brought up lots of time before. And we've even had people admitting that they vote lemming style.
You don't say!
Old 04-24-2012, 12:41 AM   #28
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:

I disagree. I actually think now I like open voting better though I used to think I'd prefer hidden.

The spread is not that different this month than the last few months. Every nomination has gotten votes this month and nine out of ten have gotten multiple votes, even after a frontrunner was obvious.

And it's fun to watch the votes come in and discuss them as they are. And we have a run-off so people will still be able to choose from the top two.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:22 PM   #29
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I disagree. I actually think now I like open voting better though I used to think I'd prefer hidden.

The spread is not that different this month than the last few months. Every nomination has gotten votes this month and nine out of ten have gotten multiple votes, even after a frontrunner was obvious.

And it's fun to watch the votes come in and discuss them as they are. And we have a run-off so people will still be able to choose from the top two.
Yeah, it does not seem to make a lot of difference in how people vote.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:42 PM   #30
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I have to say, all of the books on this list are appealing to me. I've read a few of them, and have greatly enjoyed them. I think that I will ultimately be happy with whatever book gets voted in this month.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote