Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-22-2012, 01:06 PM   #1
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Kindle for PC 1.9.0 - breaks the tools

Just got an update post from Alf's blog. Looks like a fix will not be coming soon.
So for now just use KforPC 1.8x

Don't know if it would be ok to post the email so just go to the blog for the full info.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I just went to Filehippo and downloaded the last 1.8. version to keep as a backup. I wont be upgrading anytime soon.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:04 PM   #3
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Thanks for the heads up. I had issues with a previous version of K4PC and can't remember if I left the auto update or not.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:09 PM   #4
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I just went to Filehippo and downloaded the last 1.8. version to keep as a backup. I wont be upgrading anytime soon.
I always keep an old version on file just in case. I'm on 1.83 and have had no problems.

Carol
Old 02-22-2012, 02:10 PM   #5
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I had issues with a previous version of K4PC and can't remember if I left the auto update or not.
I always have the auto update unchecked. Don't like it when things auto do anything.

Carol
Old 02-22-2012, 02:15 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm on some really old KindleForPC as it works and the tools work. I don't use it to read. Just to download free books.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:20 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Tough decision. v1.9.0 supports KF8 in all its glory.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:23 PM   #8
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Two computers, one where you can test drive 1.9, the other for the tools.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:25 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But the problem is even if you could still use 1.9 to strip AZW, you would not be able to use it to handle KF8 and with 1.9, I'd think you'd be downloading any books available in KF8. So it's a lose-lose there.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:26 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But the problem is even if you could still use 1.9 to strip AZW, you would not be able to use it to handle KF8 and with 1.9, I'd think you'd be downloading any books available in KF8. So it's a lose-lose there.
I have absolutely no idea what you just said.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:29 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I have absolutely no idea what you just said.
The way it's going to work at Amazon is that if you have a device/software that handles KF8 and the eBook you want has a KF8 version, you will get the KF8 version when you download the eBook. If you have a device/sfotware that doesn't handle KF8 and there is a KF8 version, you will get the AZW version.

As of now, Calibre doesn't convert from KF8 and the tools do not strip the DRM from KF8.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:36 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Are you really trying to explain to me "the way it's going to work?" Would it do any good if I told you that's nice of you, but completely unnecessary?
Old 02-22-2012, 02:38 PM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I hold out hope that someone will fix things.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:12 PM   #14
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I hold out hope that someone will fix things.
Doesn't look like it will happen anytime soon.

Quote:
They have changed their local secure storage file format completely. This will take a major reverse engineering effort to fix and one we are not ready to commit to. So in other words ... do not hold your breath.
Carol
Old 02-22-2012, 03:30 PM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Doesn't look like it will happen anytime soon.

Carol
That's KF8 but I still have hope someone will fix the problem. I can wait.