Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 10-31-2008, 03:11 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
No, it´s a CYBOOK!!!
No, it's a toaster. And what you think is an SD slot is where the toast goes in and comes out of.

JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 03:59 AM   #17
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
I notice a lot of people oogling my BeBook when I use it on the comuter-train here in Stockholm, but since this is Sweden, noone would even DREAM of asking what it is. It's an unwritten law here in Stockholm. you do NOT speak to people you don't know on busses, subways and trains.

Which is a shame really, as I see how much interest it is generating. Especially from people who are reading "normal" books....
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2008, 04:02 AM   #18
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
Hey wouldn't it be cool if all ebook readers were referred to as Kindle because of the Oprah effect just like all building blocks are pretty much Legos, all correction liquids are White-Out, and all portable cassette players are Walkmans?
I guess that's the same question as 'wouldn't it be cool if all operating systems were referred to as Windows....'

And you know the answer yourself; although you were able to become market leader because of the money your owner is willing to spent, in your heart you know the rest is so much better ....
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 12:27 AM   #19
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
My mom hated the Kindle She wants the feel of a real book. NO ONE at work was excited about it and when I use in public (i.e. dentist office, waiting to see a show) no one has asked me about it.

Guess Vegas really is apathetic.
I get asked about mine all the time. I get a lot of "Is that a Kindle?" (which is okay, at least they're on the right track). Even if they're not familiar with the technology, most people get that I'm reading on it. "That has BOOKS on it?" The people who ask are mostly fascinated and want to know more. I've had people cross a diner to ask about it when I was reading at lunch. I get asked about it on the train all the time. Flight attendants almost always ask about it (and if I like it--they always know what it is, too--I think many are considering buying one). Last time I flew, I spent the last 30 minutes of the flight explaining about it to the lady in the aisle seat--I had the window, and her husband the middle (chivalry is NOT dead!), and they switched so she could talk to me about the Cybook. Now, I don't know how many of those curious and fascinated people go on to buy a liseuse, but they are happy to learn all about it. I have my little spiel down pat now.

It's also fascinating to me how many gadget journalists claim they've never seen anyone with a Kindle; a couple of weeks ago on my train home, in ONE car of ONE train at rush hour mind you, there were being used, by my count:

1. a Cybook (mine);
2. a Sony 500;
3. not one, not two, but three Kindles.

In one car of one train. Pretty good!
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 09:53 AM   #20
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
I notice a lot of people oogling my BeBook when I use it on the comuter-train here in Stockholm, but since this is Sweden, noone would even DREAM of asking what it is. It's an unwritten law here in Stockholm. you do NOT speak to people you don't know on busses, subways and trains.

Which is a shame really, as I see how much interest it is generating. Especially from people who are reading "normal" books....

Maybe you should attach a sign on the back of the reader (or reader cover) saying "This is an ebook reader - www.bebook.com" as a public service. That way, you maintain custom, and help people out. Just a thought....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2008, 10:35 AM   #21
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieScratch View Post
It's also fascinating to me how many gadget journalists claim they've never seen anyone with a Kindle; a couple of weeks ago on my train home, in ONE car of ONE train at rush hour mind you, there were being used, by my count:

1. a Cybook (mine);
2. a Sony 500;
3. not one, not two, but three Kindles.

In one car of one train. Pretty good!
wow, that is pretty good ! outside of the meetups, i've never seen one "in the wild". but then i spend a lot less time on the métro during rush hour than i used to. i kept my eyes open when i was in The Airport 6 times in 3 weeks recently but even there i was disappointed to be the only one (unless they were all waiting for different flights than me, which is possible).
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 09:27 PM   #22
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
I see Kindles all the time. Sonys I've only seen once or twice and never seen a Cybook other than my own, or any other dedicated ebook reader. The same people tend to take the same trains each day, so I see the people with the Sony and Kindles on different days, but that one day it was like a perfect storm of liseuses. None of them ever ask me about my Cybook, though.

I did a lot of flying this past month and I don't think I saw any other ebook readers. Laptops and BlackBerrys everywhere. So theoretically I suppose some could be used for reading.

Last edited by MaggieScratch; 11-01-2008 at 09:30 PM.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 09:30 PM   #23
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

wouldn't it be funny if you saw someone with a liseuse in an airport, and struck up a conversation, and it turned out to be someone you knew on mobileread ! that could happen... do you fly often ?
Old 11-01-2008, 09:32 PM   #24
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
wow, that is pretty good ! outside of the meetups, i've never seen one "in the wild".
The only ones I see "in the wild" are the two people at work I've talked into buying them (2 eBookwise, and 1 Sony), and another co-worker who's currently borrowing my eBookwise.

Wait! I did see a Kindle "in the wild". I went to a reader/writer conference booksigning just to meet a favorite author. When I pulled out my Sony to show her why she couldn't sign my copy of her book, the author to her right pulled out her Kindle!

I was so happy to have had the chance to see a Kindle - they're smaller than I'd imagined from the pictures. I still think I'd be pressing text keys by accident all the time, and I still think the white plastic is ugly, but if something happened to my Sony I'd be silly not to at least consider the Kindle as a replacement. Amazon has books I can't find anywhere else ... legally.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 09:45 PM   #25
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I've just remembered I have seen one in the wild (well, two - but the second is owned by a friend who gleefully told me about it, sothat doesn't really count). There's a chap who's often ont eh tube platform the same sort of time I am who has one. I have no idea what as I've never got close enough to see, but he's had it for quite a while.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 09:57 PM   #26
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
I've just remembered I have seen one in the wild (well, two - but the second is owned by a friend who gleefully told me about it, sothat doesn't really count). There's a chap who's often ont eh tube platform the same sort of time I am who has one. I have no idea what as I've never got close enough to see, but he's had it for quite a while.
next time you see him, you should try to sidle closer to get a glimpse. plus you never know, it could be a fellow mr member.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:58 PM   #27
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
next time you see him, you should try to sidle closer to get a glimpse. plus you never know, it could be a fellow mr member.
True - I shall have to break the unwritten rule and talk to a fellow commuter

(now why am I still up at nearly 3am?)
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:09 PM   #28
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
(now why am I still up at nearly 3am?)
i was about to ask you just that question.

of course, then i'll have to ask myself, "self, why are *you* still up at 4am ??"
Old 11-02-2008, 12:04 AM   #29
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I was so happy to have had the chance to see a Kindle - they're smaller than I'd imagined from the pictures. I still think I'd be pressing text keys by accident all the time
That really doesn't matter. The text entry keys are disabled unless you are focused on some type of text entry box. So, while reading a book they are disabled. The only keys that are live in the read book mode are the home key and the font key and you can use the Alt-Font chord to sleep it. Also, the selector knob is always active, but I don't think you would be pressing that by accident.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 12:31 AM   #30
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
If it doesn't have flashy lights and beep in Vegas it isn't important.

BOb
Ah ... but don't forget the naked thingies with the big boobies that dance around naked ... oh ... nevermind ... sometimes they have flashy lights and beep too.

RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote