Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 02-04-2013, 11:27 PM   #76
jesrdesign
jesrdesign ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jesrdesign ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jesrdesign ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jesrdesign ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jesrdesign ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jesrdesign ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jesrdesign ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jesrdesign ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jesrdesign ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jesrdesign ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jesrdesign ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Hah! This might be my new favorite tumblr.

(Promotional link deleted - MODERATOR)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 02-05-2013 at 07:00 AM.
jesrdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:57 AM   #77
SR Roddy
SR Roddy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SR Roddy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SR Roddy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SR Roddy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SR Roddy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SR Roddy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SR Roddy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SR Roddy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SR Roddy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SR Roddy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SR Roddy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle DX
I didn't think some of them were that bad. Although I will emphasis the word some. I can honestly as a reader a book cover does make the difference. I wouldn't even bother picking up most of those books because of the covers.

Quote:
This is the other thing about covers that people don't always think of: The image should reinforce the title and/or the intent of the book. A title that suggests some effort involved in getting two people together, shouldn't be backed up by a photo showing two people already, effortlessly together.
I agree with Steven Lyle Jordan on this.
SR Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2013, 10:18 PM   #78
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by M T McGuire View Post
I've seen worse but at the same time it is quite scary, the synopsis is all about a bloke and there's some rubber-clad cyber babe on the cover... hmm... Then again, the two paragraphs quoted on the thread appear to deliver exactly the kind of thing the cover promises...
Thus the mantra, "The cover is always a trap."
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:18 PM   #79
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Most of these are from Amazon. No quality control at all. Shame on Amazon.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:30 PM   #80
J. Garrett
Enthusiast
J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, 6" E-Ink
I'm thankful that none of my covers, even the ones that I put together myself, aren't quite as bad as any of those. I mean, the ones I did myself certainly aren't great, but at least I used font that doesn't make people want to throw up. That's right, I take pride from very small things!
J. Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2013, 10:26 AM   #81
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The ones I like are the ones with an unreadable font.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:10 AM   #82
brainvision
Connoisseur
brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Tablet, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
because atrocities like these are what people picture when they think of indie novels-

http://lousybookcovers.tumblr.com/
WOW!! great tumblr, thanks!!
brainvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #83
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Are any authors who post on MR on this blog?
Old 02-08-2013, 02:01 PM   #84
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
They may not want to admit it.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:41 PM   #85
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
They may not want to admit it.

Don
They don't have to admit it. We just have to find them and point and laugh at them.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:52 PM   #86
J. Garrett
Enthusiast
J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

All my covers are too generic and boring to make this list.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:13 PM   #87
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
They don't have to admit it. We just have to find them and point and laugh at them.
I wonder, they say no such thing as bad publicity. Could make a cover that is really bad on purpose for one of your books and then anonymously submit it yourself...
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:30 AM   #88
J. Garrett
Enthusiast

See, the thing is, surely there are people out there who'll see one of those covers, laugh at all awful it is, and then go out and buy the book just to see if it's as bad as the cover.

Assuming it isn't, you may have just acquired a brand new fan!
Old 02-10-2013, 07:08 AM   #89
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Garrett View Post
See, the thing is, surely there are people out there who'll see one of those covers, laugh at all awful it is, and then go out and buy the book just to see if it's as bad as the cover.

Assuming it isn't, you may have just acquired a brand new fan!

I guess I'm one of those few who will ONLY laugh....and laugh....and laugh.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:15 PM   #90
WPotocki
Connoisseur
WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The only thing that bothers me is that someone didn't bother to airbrush the cellulite out of that girl's a$$.

WPotocki is offline   Reply With Quote