Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-05-2008, 11:12 PM   #1
ki5ck
Connoisseur
ki5ck began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, Note3
Moving a DB between computers

Do I need to copy more than the calibre database directory (the entire tree, including the books)? I tried that, then pointed calibre on the new computer to the copied directory, but none of my books showed up. The only db file in that directory is metadata.db.
ki5ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 11:29 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
copy the entire directory tree rooted at the folder that contains metadata.db

On your new computer, set you library folder location, shutdown calibre. Then replace the newly chosen library folder with the old folder
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2008, 11:38 PM   #3
ki5ck
Connoisseur

Tried that (again). Still have no books when using the copied library.

Also, I've noticed that on the configuration screen, clicking on the Interface, Advanced and Content Server options does not change the screen. It still shows the options for General.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:40 PM   #4
ki5ck
Connoisseur

I even added a new book, just to make sure I had the directory set right. It added a new directory for that book, but didn't recognize the others.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:47 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Are you sure you're doing it right? After adding a new book, if you again replace the metadata.db file what happens?
Advert
Old 12-05-2008, 11:51 PM   #6
ki5ck
Connoisseur

I added a new book, exited Calibre, replaced metadata.db, re-opened Calibre, and there were no books. Not even the new one. The new folder (for the added book) was still there, though.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:00 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

what are the sizes of the various metadata.db files?
Old 12-06-2008, 12:05 AM   #8
ki5ck
Connoisseur

The one I'm copying in is 74kb. If I add books and metadata, the size grows from 74kb (I added a lot of text in a description, got it up to 81kb).
Old 12-06-2008, 12:24 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

just export all your books using the save to disk and re-import them on your new computer
Old 12-06-2008, 12:25 AM   #10
ki5ck
Connoisseur

Does that save all the metadata I've already entered?
Old 12-06-2008, 12:50 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

yes it does