Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-25-2010, 05:35 PM   #31
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Translation (bidirectional) dictionaries like you get in the Ectaco jetBooks, like English <-> French, and Sony's got my $400.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:58 PM   #32
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurentiu View Post
I have never heard of any third party dictionaries. Even if there were, I suspect that they would be loaded as any other book, in which case, the reader (person) would have to exit the book he/she is reading, to search the word in the dictionary, then return to the book. In my opinion, this is worse than having a paper dictionary beside you.

What I would like to see is the same convenience offered by the current dictionaries: tap a word and, Bingo!, the definition appears at the bottom of the screen.
There is, however, something that I don't really like at the current dictionaries: if the word is not found, the eReader does not allow you to enter a word - the sign for keyboard appears only if the definition was found. In my opinion, this is a drawback and I think that Sony's developers made a mistake here.
I'm not 100% sure, but I think that the sony prs-900 offers the possibility to enter a word via the keyboard to find it in the dictionary. (I'm pretty sure I remember seeing that in a video review the other day)
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:01 PM   #33
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I'm not 100% sure, but I think that the sony prs-900 offers the possibility to enter a word via the keyboard to find it in the dictionary. (I'm pretty sure I remember seeing that in a video review the other day)
Yes, once the dictionary has popped up you can enter another word to look up.
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:02 PM   #34
Laurentiu
Connoisseur
Laurentiu has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 2, Sony PRS-600 (no longer used)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
Translation (bidirectional) dictionaries like you get in the Ectaco jetBooks, like English <-> French, and Sony's got my $400.
Well, instead of a English <-> Language dictionary, I would rather prefer something similar to the built in dictionaries, where one gets the definition of a word, instead of the translation.

In other words: 'Voiture' (car, in French)m would come up with this definition.

I noticed, this is the best way to learn a language.
Laurentiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:38 AM   #35
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Well, instead of a English <-> Language dictionary, I would rather prefer something similar to the built in dictionaries, where one gets the definition of a word, instead of the translation.

In other words: 'Voiture' (car, in French)m would come up with this definition.

I noticed, this is the best way to learn a language.
Thanks for that language learning tip. Although perhaps the bidirectional dictionaries might still be useful in the first few weeks of learning.

Wouldn't it be nice if Sony had a way of purchasing additional dictionaries, that got loaded as dictionaries, not books? Nice for Sony too. I'd pay $20 for a good dictionary.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:00 AM   #36
muzzle
muzzle began at the beginning.

Device: p̶r̶s̶ ̶6̶0̶0̶, kobo aura h2o
Quote:
Although I realize that this is not a firm promise, I think that those who are interested in getting other dictionaries on their readers, should call Sony eReader support and open a case. The more people will ask for it, the more chances we have to see other dictionaries in our readers. So, call 1-877-263-2863 and tell them I sent you - just kidding :-), tell them you would like to see new dictionaries in your Reader.
In case you call don't forget to mention you'd be willing to pay to buy a new dictionary; they might not listen to their customers (they already have your money) but they might respond to a new potential market
muzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:14 AM   #37
raymondchen625
raymondchen625 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
If Sony won't do it. Guess some computer guru can do it. Since the function is already there. It seems not that hard to crack the format. (hard for me) .
I downloaded a firmware modified by some guru, which enabled Chinese language support. But it seems nobody is interested to making another dictionary.
raymondchen625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:49 PM   #38
afterry
afterry began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook
Sony is listening and DYING to do this

Right, Sony is listening and DYING to do this for us!!!

Get a grip. Like the guy said - Don't hold your breath.

I spoke to tech at Sony and they "assured" me the 600 is not and will not be bilingual!

I ended up purchasing the Jetbook - which is.
afterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:39 AM   #39
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondchen625 View Post
If Sony won't do it. Guess some computer guru can do it. Since the function is already there. It seems not that hard to crack the format. (hard for me) .
I downloaded a firmware modified by some guru, which enabled Chinese language support. But it seems nobody is interested to making another dictionary.
Looking at all the custom firmwares (e.g. for the 505) and hacks (e.g. clock and russian localization for the 600), a German dictionary doesn't seem that complicated.
I think replacing (or adding) one of the english dictionaries with German should be doable.
On the other side, you can still take notes while on the go and later look them up. Ok, this is not as convenient as a dictionary, but it should work.

The custom firmwares and hacks are all done by persons which wanted to have additional functionality, and then they bit the bullet researching all the stuff and putting the work in. It just looks as if a dictionary, after all, seems not sooooo necessary for most. Otherwise I'm sure there would be a hack.

Maybe I connect my reader to the pc later just to see if I can find the dictionaries on the device. For the device, comparing a highlighted word with words from a dictionary is just 011100110 (or similar)
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:32 AM   #40
cjcinmd
cjcinmd began at the beginning.

Device: prs-600
Hi Folks!

I'd like to chime in about getting Sony's attention to the community's request for additional dictionary support!! I have had my PRS-600 since Christmas (a gift, obviously!), and have read about 5 Donna Leon Brunetti mysteries. It has become, however, very apparent that an Italian-English dictionary would be quite helpful! Perhaps we should all inundate Sony's Customer Service department, and see if there is anyone listening!! Cheers!!
cjcinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 02:28 PM   #41
franklekens
Addict
franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Sage, Elipsa, Onyx Note2, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Keyboard
Hm... I have no great need for bilingual dictionaries. Though maybe once they add support for multiple dictionaries, it doesn't much matter and you can get what you want anyway. But as someone earlier in the discussion said, when you're learning a foreign language, once you're past the beginner's stage a really good single language foreign dictionary is the best help towards understanding the text *and* expanding your knowledge at the same time.
franklekens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:03 PM   #42
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_73 View Post
Maybe I connect my reader to the pc later just to see if I can find the dictionaries on the device. For the device, comparing a highlighted word with words from a dictionary is just 011100110 (or similar)
Ok, I have checked out the readers memory and I couldn't find the dictionaries. They must be hidden somewhere. But I got the info from one of the 505-threads to contact Porkupan. He seems to be the guy that already tinkered with some dictionaries.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictionary, firmware