Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-12-2012, 04:24 AM   #1
Brianrh
Connoisseur
Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Running Kobo Desktop V3 in Wine on Linux

Can anyone tell me if the latest version of Kobo Desktop will run in Wine?

Thanks.

Brian
Brianrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:45 AM   #2
rjmac
Connoisseur
rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Yes I am running Kobo Desktop 3.0 in Wine on Ubuntu 12.04 with no problems.
rjmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:24 AM   #3
Brianrh
Connoisseur
Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Thanks rjmac that was the answer I was hoping to hear. I'll try to update the firmware on my touch tonight all being well.
Brianrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:17 AM   #4
Spheres
Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmac View Post
Yes I am running Kobo Desktop 3.0 in Wine on Ubuntu 12.04 with no problems.
Did you do something special to get the KT recognized under wine? Last time I tried Kobo Desktop through wine, I couldn't get the usb connection to work. I know there’s a trick (something like adding the mount point of the KT as a floppy drive for wine), but that didn’t do it for me. What wine version are you using?
Spheres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:41 AM   #5
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I am grateful for the news, too. My post was lost in the heated (general) discussion on 2.0/3.0:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=119

That was an up to date Ubuntu 12.04 box running Gnome Shell on amd64 x4.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:14 AM   #6
rjmac
Connoisseur
rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheres View Post
Did you do something special to get the KT recognized under wine? Last time I tried Kobo Desktop through wine, I couldn't get the usb connection to work. I know there’s a trick (something like adding the mount point of the KT as a floppy drive for wine), but that didn’t do it for me. What wine version are you using?
I had to use configure wine and set the floppy drive (E: on my machine) to /media/KOBOereader/ to recognise the KT.

The version of wine is 1.4.

I hope this helps.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:57 AM   #7
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmac View Post
I had to use configure wine and set the floppy drive (E: on my machine) to /media/KOBOereader/ to recognise the KT.

The version of wine is 1.4.

I hope this helps.
That's 64-bit version of Ubuntu?
Old 07-15-2012, 11:46 AM   #8
Ankh
Guru

I tried to debug the issue this morning.

What I discovered during the run from terminal was that KoboSetup.exe is complaining about missing keyring libraries. Found on Google that solution might be to run Wine from PPA. Which turned to be the dead end, wine 1.5.8 is trowing hard page fault when I attempt to run KoboSetup (and still complains about missing gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so).

It looks likely that only 64-bit boxes are affected, it looks likely that Ubuntu's handling of multiarch is the culprit.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:27 AM   #9
rjmac
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
That's 64-bit version of Ubuntu?
No 32 bit
Old 07-25-2012, 02:59 AM   #10
rjmac
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
I tried to debug the issue this morning.

What I discovered during the run from terminal was that KoboSetup.exe is complaining about missing keyring libraries. Found on Google that solution might be to run Wine from PPA. Which turned to be the dead end, wine 1.5.8 is trowing hard page fault when I attempt to run KoboSetup (and still complains about missing gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so).

It looks likely that only 64-bit boxes are affected, it looks likely that Ubuntu's handling of multiarch is the culprit.
Sorry can not help here. I suggest you look at the Ubuntu Forums or Wine forums for advice on 64 bit wine installs. There were known problems with 64 bit wine installs in 12.04 which I thought had been resolved.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:28 PM   #11
GoingDown
Zealot
GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.

I am running Kobo desktop with Wine 1.5.9 on Fedora 17 64-bit. The error message about gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so is harmless, and is not related to Kobo desktop application.

I just defined Drive mapping H to point to KoboeReader mount point, and set its type to floppy disk, and everything just works.
GoingDown is offline   Reply With Quote