Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-16-2014, 06:58 AM   #61
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
now I can read unmodified books on the Nexus 7.2 or iPad Mini Retina without any eyestrain, and that is important because modified Amazon books lose a lot of features.
In what way do they "lose a lot of features", Jack? If you use the ebook editor in Calibre, you can edit a book without losing any features.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:06 PM   #62
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
In what way do they "lose a lot of features", Jack? If you use the ebook editor in Calibre, you can edit a book without losing any features.
Sorry, I worded that poorly. What I meant was Amazon specific features like actual page numbers (not made up by math formula like calibre does), X-Ray, etc. Amazon only supports some features on non-modified books purchased from them. Also you cannot sync personal docs with the K4PC/Mac apps, and modifying an Amazon book turns it into a personal doc.

Last edited by jswinden; 01-16-2014 at 02:52 PM.
Advert
Old 01-17-2014, 06:41 AM   #63
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Sorry, I worded that poorly. What I meant was Amazon specific features like actual page numbers (not made up by math formula like calibre does), X-Ray, etc. Amazon only supports some features on non-modified books purchased from them. Also you cannot sync personal docs with the K4PC/Mac apps, and modifying an Amazon book turns it into a personal doc.
You're right about the personal doc aspect of it, but you absolutely can edit a book without losing features like page numbers and X-Ray.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:24 PM   #64
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
How is the battery life on the N7? I know what the specs say but, I am curious in "real" usage.

Thanks,

Penny
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:26 PM   #65
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Battery life is excellent. Although I am not the heaviest user here. I should give it more of a trial before I answer.

I have a question - is there any way to be rid of the lock screen?
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2014, 07:09 PM   #66
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't have the n7 but I do have a Google phone. In the settings it should be in "security."

You should be able to select "none" in screen lock.

Sincerely,

Penny
Old 01-17-2014, 07:12 PM   #67
mystika1
Addict

I have had my moto g phone for a week and it is wonderful. I have been reading on it instead of my other tablets. Now I really want a n7. :-)

Penny
Old 01-17-2014, 07:50 PM   #68
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystika1 View Post
I don't have the n7 but I do have a Google phone. In the settings it should be in "security."

You should be able to select "none" in screen lock.

Sincerely,

Penny
That did it! Thanks so much!

P.S. Yes you should get a N7.2
Old 01-17-2014, 07:50 PM   #69
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
How is the battery life on the N7? I know what the specs say but, I am curious in "real" usage.

Thanks,

Penny
I am a heavy reader, the new N7 is one heck of a bunch better when it comes to battery life. On my 2012 N7 I could almost see the battery drain, and watch it drop, on the new gen N7 it crawls! Have gone almost 3 days of nearly constant reading before recharge. On my original had to charge every night.. Love the Qi charging system, less wear and tear on the hard port (usb)!

Imho, it is far superior to the original!

Last edited by DustyDisks; 01-17-2014 at 07:53 PM.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:56 PM   #70
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyDisks View Post
Love the Qi charging system, less wear and tear on the hard port (usb)!

Imho, it is far superior to the original!
I got a Qi wireless charger for mine, too! It's pretty cool!
Old 01-17-2014, 07:57 PM   #71
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Battery life is excellent. Although I am not the heaviest user here. I should give it more of a trial before I answer.

I have a question - is there any way to be rid of the lock screen?
Yes to to security and then screen lock and select none! You turn it on and zap you are in!
Old 01-17-2014, 07:59 PM   #72
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training

Quote:
These new generation LCDs with high pixel density and resolution have really dark black font capability. It makes you want to throw rocks at eInk Kindles! I doubt an eInk screen will ever have such beautiful font rendering or as dark. I used to have to modify all my books to have darker fonts or bold text, but now I can read unmodified books on the Nexus 7.2 or iPad Mini Retina without any eyestrain, and that is important because modified Amazon books lose a lot of features.
Agree on the rocks, tho E-ink in bright light (sun amongst other situations) still rules.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:02 PM   #73
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training

Quote:
Got to love it, mainly for reducing wearing out the usb port.

I am tempted to retrofit my original to Qi.

Time will tell!

Old 01-18-2014, 12:36 AM   #74
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:

Thanks,

Penny
I would say with just reading 4 hours a day on it and checking for app updates and surfing the net I get a 3 day charge. In standby it uses hardly any battery at all with WiFi off. I have gone over a week on a single charge when it was just sitting there not being used. Your main battery drains are movies and games. I do leave WiFi off most of the time specially when reading. I use a WiFi toggle app that lets me turn WiFi on or off at all in a single touch.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:37 AM   #75
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
I would love to get one if I could find one cheap enough. I can't justify the price of the ones I have seen.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote