Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-16-2010, 03:28 AM   #1
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
My Take on iPhone, iRex DR800, and the iPad

iPhone: - Great because it is my phone and I always have it with me.
for reading on the go (at lunch at work or while standing in line). I use the following apps: Kindle, B&N eReader, Stanza. It is great for fiction.
For reading in bed.

iRex: - Great because it's size and weight is a good in-between. It's not too heavy.
For reading black and white manga with the CBZ addition by Kolenka
For reading fiction if I'm at home for the weekend during the day or on vacation. I don't enjoy it at night or in the evening because I don't like to make the room bright enough to make reading on it comfortable. I prefer my living areas dimmer at night.

iPad: - Great because of it's rich and large colorful screen.
For reading technical books (ePub or PDF) with tables or anything that's long and needs careful study and/or notations. I use iBooks, Kindle, and readMe. I'm still waiting for the B&N eReader to be updated.
For color comics/manga.
For playing games of all sorts. It is a far more enjoyable experience than on my laptop. Particularly fun for Scrabble, solitaire, go, and simulation games.
For watching Netflix in bed.
For downloading and viewing/playing sheet music.
For reading the internet on the couch or in bed.

Each device is useful in its own way. I may end up selling my iRex just because I use it less, but I've grown more attached to it than I expected due to its excellent size and balance. I'm not in love with eInk by any means. The screen is quality but I find the contrast unpleasant, though better than its eInk competitors. A normal book page reflects considerably more ambient light than an eInk screen. In bright light it is excellent. I suspect if Apple released a 7" iPad, I would trade my iRex for it. The regular iPad is a bit heavy for my wimpy-girl-arms.

The iPad has a lot more potential than it uses right now. I don't read on it as much because the only ePub app that supports calibre server and has a night view doesn't have a two-page horizontal layout, which I prefer. If you prefer to read black on white, I'm sure iBooks will serve you well. You will most likely want to turn the brightness way down while in the app though.

One note: I'm not reading technical books on my iRex because the selection from B&N is pathetic, and I did not have a good experience freeing my Kindle books. Amazon has a much better collection, which limits them to my iPad.

Last edited by nikkie; 04-16-2010 at 03:34 AM.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:27 AM   #2
Franky
Nameless Being

my iphone is also great, but besides a phone and messenger, it's a toy. reading on i won't do. screen is just to small.

for reading i use my Irex DR800SG. brought the piece with me after a visit in the States. absolute super. I used to read on a Sony PRS505, but it had to leave the house. it was fun using it, but the Irex is much, but really much better. i can even write on it or draw something on PDF's. great stuff. no 3G, but who knows if somebody or Irex self is gonna change that.

the last piece of technic i've got is my Entourage eDGE. Wow, that's a fine piece of technic. what a great device is that. the things I can do with it are massive. i did look at the iPad, but that's a toy in comparison with my eDGe.

Last edited by Franky; 05-06-2010 at 04:45 AM.
Advert
Old 05-07-2010, 12:58 PM   #3
cheerio6414
Addict
cheerio6414 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
You really like the "i"versions don't you
cheerio6414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:55 PM   #4
Romantic One
Banned
Romantic One has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Romantic One has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Romantic One has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
Does the ipad work alot like the ipod touch. It looks like just a bigger version of my ipod touch which I love.
Romantic One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:04 AM   #5
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franky View Post
the last piece of technic i've got is my Entourage eDGE. Wow, that's a fine piece of technic. what a great device is that. the things I can do with it are massive. i did look at the iPad, but that's a toy in comparison with my eDGe.
This is the first time I've heard anybody being enthusiastic about this device. More like the lack of feedback than anything else...
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert