Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 02-15-2010, 11:00 PM   #1
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Top social networking sites for promoting your book?

Hey guys, just wondering which social networking sites you think are best for promoting your books on. I'm right now on facebook and myspace, but myspace is dying (well, actually, more like dead if you want my honest opinion), and I'd like to not only replace it in my social networking list, but add more too that would be good for a sci-fi writer. Any suggestions?
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:22 PM   #2
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Twitter is hot, but I find it really annoying.

Facebook rather puzzles me - if no one can see your updates except for people you've friended, how do you attract more friends?

Not that I want to, but still.

I'm hoping something better comes along by the time I'm ready to market the novel I'm writing.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2010, 11:48 PM   #3
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of social networking myself, but I find that you have no other choice but to do it if you want to get your book out these days. *sigh*
Old 02-16-2010, 01:00 AM   #4
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I saw this on smashwords by Mark, Smashwords Book Marketing Guide By Mark Coker. It looks like it has some ideas your could try.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:09 AM   #5
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

Thanks.
Advert
Old 02-16-2010, 03:32 AM   #6
catherinecondie
Enthusiast
catherinecondie can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'catherinecondie can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'catherinecondie can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'catherinecondie can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'catherinecondie can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'catherinecondie can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'catherinecondie can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'catherinecondie can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'catherinecondie can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'catherinecondie can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'catherinecondie can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I saw this on smashwords by Mark, Smashwords Book Marketing Guide By Mark Coker. It looks like it has some ideas your could try.
Yes, check it out. I've read it all and posted over 10 releases on prlog - one of the recommendations for press releases. It works . . .
catherinecondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:15 PM   #7
Kemp
Zealot
Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Interesting; I haven't gone down the road of press releases just yet. I'll have to give that a try.
Kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:23 PM   #8
Kemp
Zealot
Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Twitter is hot, but I find it really annoying.

Facebook rather puzzles me - if no one can see your updates except for people you've friended, how do you attract more friends?

Not that I want to, but still.

I'm hoping something better comes along by the time I'm ready to market the novel I'm writing.
I agree with you.

In spite of that, I finally signed up and became a part of the mindless drivel. It's okay though, I scourged myself and drank a cup of broken glass afterwards in penance.
Kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:12 PM   #9
GlennGThater
Connoisseur
GlennGThater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennGThater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennGThater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennGThater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennGThater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennGThater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennGThater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennGThater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennGThater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennGThater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennGThater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Other good options for publicizing your work are Goodreads.com, AuthorsDen.com, kindleboards.com, and nookboards.com.

regards,
glenn g. thater
author of harbinger of doom
GlennGThater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 03:38 AM   #10
Moxie Mezcal
Human Fly
Moxie Mezcal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Moxie Mezcal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Moxie Mezcal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Moxie Mezcal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Moxie Mezcal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Moxie Mezcal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Moxie Mezcal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Moxie Mezcal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Moxie Mezcal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Moxie Mezcal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Moxie Mezcal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPad
I strongly endorse Twitter, it's a much freer exchange of ideas than Facebook, MySpace, etc, much more like a conversation than one-way self-promotion (to an audience that may be more imagined than not). There's a ready-made and rapidly growing-network of people interested in ebooks & online fiction for you to tap into, including independent writers, book reviewers, publishing professionals, and of course readers - both locally and internationally. The only word of caution is that it's a much different setup than Facebook or MySpace, so if that's what you're used to, it may take some time to adapt and learn how to use it effectively.

I think press releases/press kits are a good exercise for writers because they force you to "sell" your work quickly and concisely. Just keep in mind that they are going to be much more effective on the local level to get you in community weeklies or alternative weeklies, but won't materialize coverage in a metropolitan daily unless you already have some level of notoriety.

Goodreads is a great site, but difficult to use primarily as a self-promotion tool; I find it more conducive to talking about other works that you like rather than building an audience of your own (although the two are not mutually exclusive by any means). It's good to sign up for, but should be used in conjunction with other efforts.
Moxie Mezcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:14 PM   #11
GlennGThater
Connoisseur
GlennGThater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennGThater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennGThater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennGThater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennGThater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennGThater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennGThater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennGThater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennGThater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennGThater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennGThater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Moxie - can you give us some recommendations about how to use twitter to best effect?

i've posted lots of tweets about my books, but i've found most people on twitter see to be others trying to sell stuff - and most of them look fishy.
GlennGThater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:06 PM   #12
jseay
Devotional Writer
jseay rocks like Gibraltar!jseay rocks like Gibraltar!jseay rocks like Gibraltar!jseay rocks like Gibraltar!jseay rocks like Gibraltar!jseay rocks like Gibraltar!jseay rocks like Gibraltar!jseay rocks like Gibraltar!jseay rocks like Gibraltar!jseay rocks like Gibraltar!jseay rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Motorola Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by catherinecondie View Post
Yes, check it out. I've read it all and posted over 10 releases on prlog - one of the recommendations for press releases. It works . . .
I have considered using press releases to promote my books. Has anyone else had success promoting books with press releases?
jseay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:21 AM   #13
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

Well, I've got twitter, friend feed and a couple others. I've got them posted on my author page and welcome message for my site.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:00 PM   #14
Billjr13
Addict
Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 700 & 650
Steve you might look at the Association of Independent Authors web site too. I know Nomesque posted about it earlier this week, and they had some info on networking, and advertising on the home page. And I think you can get a 1 year membership free by using the COMP code.
Billjr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:20 PM   #15
Nakor
Addict
Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
With something commercial rather than using a normal page that you befriend people with, you make a fan page that anyone can become a fan of. Whenever someone becomes a fan of a page, that message shows up on the news feed for all of their friends.

* Joe Blow has become a fan of Wicked Awesome Novelist

This spreads in a word-of-mouth sort of way. If you want you can also buy ads to the fan page to get the ball rolling, it's up to you to decide if what you're trying to promote is worth the cash; they can get very pricy on FB.

Twitter, while completely pointless for an average joe, is nice for anyone with fans because of the interaction it allows. Replying to fans, answering questions, getting information out there, that sort of thing.

And hey, you could always throw up a video on YouTube if you wanted.
Nakor is offline   Reply With Quote