Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 12-19-2009, 12:58 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Some questions on the Jetbook

I am very happy with my Sony and plan to use it as my main ebook reader for the foreseeable future. But I just got an offer from Fictionwise for the Jetbook and am very curious now because it mentions you can learn another language using built-in dictionaries. The one feature my Sony does not have which I want is a French dictionary. I never use a dictionary when I read English but I do when I read French!

So, how easy is this feature to use? Do I just go into a preference pane somewhere and specify which dictionary I want? Does the French one come pre-installed?

And regarding books, if I want to download free French books from Project Gutenberg, what is the format I should choose?

Also am wondering if the Jetbook works with Calibre or if I would have to install special software?

If it works with Calibre and it really can do French dictionary lookup painlessly and quickly, this may persuade me to buy a second device...
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 05:55 PM   #2
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Dead easy. The built in dictionaries are accessible by any selected word. Hit the menu button, select dictionary, select a word, and hit OK. Mine starts in English, and then you can cycle through the loaded dictionaries. French isn't one of the free ones, I see, but I believe you can buy others.

I don't think any common format doesn't work with the dictionaries. I use mostly rtf, html, and mobi, so I can't speak for the other formats. My suspicion is that the dictionary works from the screen buffer, not the file itself.

I'm not a fan of Calibre, so I can't say, but I don't see why you should have to. The jetBook just appears to the computer as a removable drive (or two, if you have an SD card installed).

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2009, 06:14 PM   #3
gr8npwrfl
The Wizard of OZ
gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Ipod Touch Wind Netbook
I have used it with pdf and epub and I love the dictionary
gr8npwrfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 06:15 PM   #4
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Thank you!
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:31 PM   #5
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tingle View Post
I'm not a fan of Calibre, so I can't say, but I don't see why you should have to. The jetBook just appears to the computer as a removable drive (or two, if you have an SD card installed).
I had the same question on another thread...as an owner of a Sony PRS-505, I use the tags in Calibre to organize my collections.

I just bought a Jetbook, which appears to use the folder structure...while I can see it being preferable (and more flexible), my concern is that unless I want to organize my books by Author (which is how Calibre stores its books), I will have to organize my books two different ways for the different readers. I am hoping someone will tell me that isn't the case
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2009, 01:10 PM   #6
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor (MiRage/CM7.2 & Moon+ Reader Pro)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
I had the same question on another thread...as an owner of a Sony PRS-505, I use the tags in Calibre to organize my collections.

I just bought a Jetbook, which appears to use the folder structure...while I can see it being preferable (and more flexible), my concern is that unless I want to organize my books by Author (which is how Calibre stores its books), I will have to organize my books two different ways for the different readers. I am hoping someone will tell me that isn't the case
Calibre will use tags with a slash "/" in front to put ebooks into those folders. I use "/Science Fiction", "/Fantasy", "/NonFiction", etc and the ebooks get put into those folders.

You can have a little more control if you use Save To Disk rather than Send To Device.
tselling is offline   Reply With Quote