Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-20-2009, 04:09 PM   #1
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Sick To Death of Sony's Terrible Customer Service!

Please permit me to vent here. As one of the first owners of the Sony Reader, I'm about ready to toss it out and buy a Kindle or something.

I started out with a 500, upgraded in a Sony exchange offer to a 505, and somehow in the process a bunch of books I purchased at the Connect site have gone missing in my account and therefore on my reader, because I downloaded my previous purchases from the Sony website. I have only just now noticed some missing books, and to make it worse, the site software won't let me view a listing of all my purchases so that I can verify whether anything else is missing.

Attempts to resolve this have been impossibly frustrating, taking an hour to communicate the problem with the folks in India who provide a layer of non-help to a flawed system. At the end of the hour I got a reference number and a promise that a "real representative" would be in touch with me in a couple days. Of course, no one has. I'm calling back now, handy reference number in hand, asking what the holdup is, and have now been on the phone for another 45 mins *so far*, assuming that I'm on hold and not disconnected.

The solution is simple: there's an existing bundle available, just credit me with the amount and I'll buy it. Then send me a list of all my transactions and I'll compare it to what's available to me to see if there are more missing books.

I'm being told now that they're working on this terribly complicated problem and will call me back, hahaha.

I have a substantial investment in the books and devices, but I think I may dump the whole thing due to their terrible Customer Service. Not a good business model!
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 04:25 PM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I'm sorry for your problem and hope it gets resolved soon. I love my 505 and wouldn't trade it for anything.

I save all my e-mails from Sony confirming my purchases so I have a record of what was downloaded. I assumed this would help me keep track of what they KNOW I have... The below is what I am sent each time..

<< Dear dreams... (I removed my e-mail address),

Thank you for shopping at The eBook Store from Sony. This is an email to confirm your recent purchase of the following item(s):

* D. J. MacHale - Pendragon: Book 1: The Merchant of Death

For transaction details, please refer to your transaction history report in the Account section at The eBook Store.

Thank you,

Your Friends at The eBook Store

Go to The eBook Store from Sony >>

Am I wrong in assuming that this would help me get access again to my books?

Could you use your e-mails as proof that it is your book(s)?

I hope you get this resolved.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2009, 04:35 PM   #3
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
> the site software won't let me view a listing of all my purchases so that I can verify whether anything else is missing.

Do you have problems with other parts of the site, or is it a problem with the site as a whole, as this is generally available via the "Account" page?

> Attempts to resolve this have been impossibly frustrating,

Hmm - not trying to excuse the use of non-local call centre's, but have you tried email? I recently had to emai them in order to delete an old PC registration when I needed to reinstall and had a very rapid response, although it was probably a common request...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 04:35 PM   #4
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There is fortunately no dispute that I purchased the bundle, and no question of how to resolve it. But the implementation is the problem.

I don't want to have to start all over again with a new device and all its quirks. I like my sleek 505 just fine, just hate the clunky website, Connect software, and Customer Service.

I haven't saved all my email receipts because I thought I'd be able to access my transactions via the website, but I will from now on.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:38 PM   #5
Michele
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
Do you have problems with other parts of the site, or is it a problem with the site as a whole, as this is generally available via the "Account" page?
It only lists recent transactions, but mine go back to 2006.

I'll try email next time. I've had good luck with that when requesting corrections to the terribly flawed book info on the site.
Advert
Old 05-20-2009, 04:42 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Michele did you call the following number?

Quote:
You can also call us at 877-263-2863 during the hours of:
9:00am - 11pm, EST; Monday - Friday and 11:00am - 6:00pm EST; Saturday and Sunday
I have called before and I have not gotten someone in India. But on the off chance you do get to India, ask to be transferred to America or ask for a spervisor.

Good Luck!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 04:50 PM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Michele did you call the following number?

I have called before and I have not gotten someone in India. But on the off chance you do get to India, ask to be transferred to America or ask for a spervisor.

Good Luck!

Jon, do you suppose there is a chance that Michele's stuff got lost in the Overdrive fiasco last fall, and is just now noticing it is gone? I've forgotten, did it effect the Sony books? And how was the problem solved? I only lost 1-2 books and didn't bother to pursue it, so I don't have a clear memory of how that worked out.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 04:51 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Jon, do you suppose there is a chance that Michele's stuff got lost in the Overdrive fiasco last fall, and is just now noticing it is gone? I've forgotten, did it effect the Sony books? And how was the problem solved? I only lost 1-2 books and didn't bother to pursue it, so I don't have a clear memory of how that worked out.
The Overdrive fiasco only affected Fictionwise.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:56 PM   #9
Michele
Addict

Thank you all for your support. Yes, that's the number I called. The first guy sounded american for the first 20 minutes, but then the accent became apparent. The second guy was accented for sure. Judging from the numerous delays I'm assuming it was a call center shipped overseas, but I don't know for certain.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:58 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
Thank you all for your support. Yes, that's the number I called. The first guy sounded American for the first 20 minutes, but then the accent became apparent. The second guy was accented for sure. Judging from the numerous delays I'm assuming it was a call center shipped overseas, but I don't know for certain.
So if you do get someone who sounds from India, ask for a supervisor. Ask even if you think you are in America if you are getting no place. Even ask if you are in a call center in Inda just to be sure.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:03 PM   #11
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Overdrive fiasco only affected Fictionwise.
Oh right, that was back before I got my 505 and all of my purchases were FW and EBW. Well, that can't be the issue for Michele.

Good luck Michele, I'm interested to know how this works out. I have sort of stopped getting books from Sony because I haven't figured out a way to copy the books to a backup folder. If you learn how to back things up, will you please post it?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:33 PM   #12
Michele
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Good luck Michele, I'm interested to know how this works out. I have sort of stopped getting books from Sony because I haven't figured out a way to copy the books to a backup folder. If you learn how to back things up, will you please post it?
That's a good question. If I knew how to do that I could reconstruct it from my older computer. With all the tech skills on this website, surely someone has found a way?? Let me know too!
Old 05-20-2009, 06:02 PM   #13
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
That's a good question. If I knew how to do that I could reconstruct it from my older computer.
Don't they all end up being downloaded to "<My Documents>\My Books\eBook Library\" (where <My Documents> is typically something like "C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\My Books\eBook Library"?
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:35 PM   #14
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
WOW! I'm sorry you're having so many problems!! I am definitely going to save all my emails from now on.

Hopefully this can be resolved soon.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:44 PM   #15
Michele
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
Don't they all end up being downloaded to "<My Documents>\My Books\eBook Library\" (where <My Documents> is typically something like "C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\My Books\eBook Library"?
Nothing so simple, I'm afraid.