Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-09-2009, 04:48 PM   #1
anurag
Addict
anurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 1 and DX, iPhone
David Pogue slams the Nook

and mentions Inkmesh too

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/10/te...0pogue.html?hp
anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:58 PM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
LOL
Lets see how many returns they get
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2009, 04:59 PM   #3
Not_A_Crook
Which way is up?
Not_A_Crook has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook, Alphasmart Neo (word processor, Viable document reader.)
This kind of redundant baiting bares similarity to Anti-Apple/Anti-Windows rants.

Except Barnes & Noble barely invests productively in hardware except for the nook, and that the Kindle has been around since 2007...

These guys should give the negatives a rest, it's just an e-reader.
Not_A_Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:18 PM   #4
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
This is why I love readers like the Sony 505 & 300. Simple, easy UI, relatively fast page turns, very straightforward and good at what it does: reading books.

I wonder why more reviews like this don't point out that there are a whole class of less expensive e-readers out there for people who don't need wireless store access or touchscreens, and just want to read and buy the occasional book when they're near a computer.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:19 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Ouch.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2009, 05:20 PM   #6
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
A biased negative article with half truths - What do you expect from the New York Times...

I have been using the nook on display at B&N during my lunch hour everyday this week and it is easy to use. The touch screen is responsive if used correctly and a coupon for a free cookie came up as I was using it (I asked if I could take the nook over to get my cookie).

While no DRM is preferred, the ereader DRM is the least obtrusive. Amazon dropped their price to $259.00 because they got wind that the nook was coming out at that price. B&N, through their purchase of Fictionwise, has a reader on more devices than Amazon, and there is no limit to the number of devices since the DRM is based on the user (name and Credit Card).

Last edited by Musicman; 12-09-2009 at 05:34 PM.
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:24 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
For a slightly more 'upbeat' review, try here.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64855
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:42 PM   #8
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
I have no issues with the LCD screen it seems pretty responsive to me. I do have issues with the slow refresh on the e-ink screen and the lack of any kind of sorting and searching for documents side loaded. Hopefully as stated in the article the upgrade scheduled for next week will fix things, if not it will go back. But I have to admit the nook is kind of growing on me despite the flaws.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:48 PM   #9
Ocean
Banned
Ocean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enough

Device: Proud G1 Kindle Owner
Pogue destroys the Nook

Returning briefly.

Nightmare publicity for the Nook. And he HAD A BN EMPLOYEE WITH HIM!

Quote:
To use the technical term, it’s slower than an anesthetized slug in winter.
Quote:
the touch screen is balky and nonresponsive, even for the Nook product manager who demonstrated it for me. The only thing slower than the color strip is the main screen above it. Even though it’s exactly the same E Ink technology that the Kindle and Sony Readers use, the Nook’s screen is achingly slower than the Kindle’s. It takes nearly three seconds to turn a page — three times longer than the Kindle — which is really disruptive if you’re in midsentence.
Quote:
“Over one million titles?” Yes, but well over half of those are junky Google scans of free, obscure, pre-1923 out-of-copyright books, filled with typos. (They’re also available for the Kindle, but Amazon doesn’t even count them).
Quote:
In four days, my Nook locked up twice and displayed an “Android operating system has crashed” message twice.

Waiting on Mossberg.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/10/te...e.html?_r=1&hp

Last edited by Ocean; 12-09-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:54 PM   #10
Ocean
Banned
Ocean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enough

Slams?

He DESTROYED it. Thats the broadest technology takedown I've ever seen in his column.

Quote:
To use the technical term, it’s slower than an anesthetized slug in winter.
Quote:
it’s buggy. In four days, my Nook locked up twice and displayed an “Android operating system has crashed” message twice.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:03 PM   #11
Abulia
Enthusiast
Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
Returning briefly.
Feel free to leave at any time.

What exactly is your axe to grind with the Nook?
Abulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:04 PM   #12
Not_A_Crook
Which way is up?
Not_A_Crook has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook, Alphasmart Neo (word processor, Viable document reader.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
Slams?

He DESTROYED it. Thats the broadest technology takedown I've ever seen in his column.
Oh hey, Ocean, I saw your previous thread, welcome back I guess?
Not_A_Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:04 PM   #13
scruffy
Enthusiast
scruffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.scruffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.scruffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.scruffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: ebookwise, n800, tablet, etc
Pogue (and all of the other naysayers) is wrong...

90% of the complaints he (and all of the other negative reviews I've read) ignore the simple fact: Nook 1.0 software has flaws, but they _will_ be fixed.

He complains about bad UI, sluggish interfaces, crashes, etc... all of which will be fixed with a software update sooner than later.

He complains about the books from Google, which is not B&N's fault or responsibility, in any way, and about comparative pricing, which BN is already working to address with pricematching Amazon.

In short, Pogue is wrong.

I got my nook today, and it rocks. Bugs, yes. But I didn't expect it to be as smooth as Kindle2, or as polished as Iphone's UI. Give the updates a month or 3, and it will be. The hardware is solid... slim, and feels great, looks great.
scruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:04 PM   #14
Ocean
Banned

I have no axe to grind. I'm just enjoying the release.

I think it will be a good strong competitor to the Kindle in much the same way as the Xbox is to the Playstation.

I've said positive stuff about it, you know.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:06 PM   #15
Ocean
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffy View Post
they _will_ be fixed.
But all he can do is review the device he's handed. I have no doubt that he'll do a followup in the future. It would be foolish to base a review on such vaporware.