Notices

Old 04-15-2008, 06:08 PM   #1
DeGodefroi
Zealot
DeGodefroi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite (had Illiad)
Problems connecting wifi

This is driving me nuts.
I have the Iliad and it seems that I cannot connect the wifi as soon it uses any encryption like wep or better.
Even worse is that unsecure wifi is not getting connected .
I try to connect and the unsuccessful shows up way too fast.

Is there a way to set up wifi etc with a different program for the Iliad?

Right now I can only use wifi with wpa on ONE wifi router. 20 others simply do not work. Is that normal or am i screwed somehow?
DeGodefroi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 05:30 AM   #2
thetechnobear
Connoisseur
thetechnobear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thetechnobear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thetechnobear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Iliad, Kindle K3, iPad , iPhone, etc...
if your using WPA checkout my previous post
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20234

i only saw this issue with wpa, but theorectically i suppose it could happen with wep.
- also as i posted, ive found the range of wifi with the iliad is quite limited, compare with some other devices i own.

as for other programs, not that i know of, the iLiad just uses std linux wifi tools though, so should be possible... also if you know some linux you can use the cmd line wifi tools directly.
my post also supplies an updated script which has increased debugging, so can give clues to issues.
enjoy,

btw, search function is your friend ;o)
thetechnobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2008, 08:17 AM   #3
MarkRPenn
Connoisseur
MarkRPenn began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad
I have the same issue as you (can't connect to all but one router I've tried), but the missing piece of info is whether or not searching for wireless networks on the iliad finds them. If you can see them every time, but then can't connect when you enter the passkey, you have the issue thetechnobear can fix for you, but if 99 times out of 100 you can't even find the network, even when standing within 3 feet of the router, you have the same issue I do (which, incidentally, iRex claim is completely unique to me!).

If you do have my issue, iRex will insist you have to send the iLiad back for repair, yet are unable to tell you what they think might be wrong. They WON'T try any other troubleshooting beforehand.

Mark

Last edited by MarkRPenn; 04-16-2008 at 08:20 AM.
MarkRPenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:07 AM   #4
DeGodefroi
Zealot
DeGodefroi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite (had Illiad)
Ok, thnx for the postings. I am going to do some testing etc.
My problem is in most cases like Technobear.. (and yes i did search but not good enough I guess).
But MarkPenn, I do have sometimes issues that one serch for wifi detects the router and then not. But that seems to be related to the wifi channel used.
I will post if it is fixed.
2 be continued.
DeGodefroi is offline   Reply With Quote