Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-10-2012, 03:01 PM   #16
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Wish there were a single program to remove DRM. All these "tools" are very nice no doubt but as I understand it, I must install Python or something then another program then a third program and when I'm done I don't know which one to go to or how to use it. It's too complicated for me, and since I'm a lazy bastard to boot ...
If you use the calibre plugins, no installation of python is required.

But I think that this thread is straying towards too much detail. Please remember that detailed instructions are not permitted on MobileRead.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:08 PM   #17
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Yeah especially since this is a Canadian site and Canada now is moving towards making it illegal to strip DRM's from whatever is DRMed. Or so I've heard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
If you use the calibre plugins, no installation of python is required.

But I think that this thread is straying towards too much detail. Please remember that detailed instructions are not permitted on MobileRead.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:48 PM   #18
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
There aren't really any alternatives. There are just uncredited (and usually outdated) versions of the exact same "mentioned tools" that have been all wrapped up into (potentially dangerous) executables and given shiny new names... and oftentimes given a price tag.
Actually there are. But since I can't talk about this, I won't be able to mention the name of the program I use in this thread.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:58 AM   #19
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella20 View Post
Actually there are. But since I can't talk about this, I won't be able to mention the name of the program I use in this thread.
Gazella20 has kindly sent me the name of the program, but that company also just repackages the code from Alf's blog.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:31 AM   #20
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't understand why any one repackages ?
Only instances of repackaging I have heard about is to add malevolent code. Could that be the case here?

Quote:
Gazella20 has kindly sent me the name of the program, but that company also just repackages the code from Alf's blog.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:33 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Only instances of repackaging I have heard about is to add malevolent code. Could that be the case here?
The reason, in most cases, is simply one of profit. These companies are charging money for tools which are available for free. Not illegal, but perhaps of questionable morality.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:36 AM   #22
Quexos
Member Retired

Wouldn't it be better if the original makers did a repackaging of their own so that all would be done in one program instead of having to install three ? I mean keeping the whole process complicated is asking for third parties to repackage and make money off it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The reason, in most cases, is simply one of profit. These companies are charging money for tools which are available for free. Not illegal, but perhaps of questionable morality.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:47 AM   #23
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
They repackage and add a front-end of their own. It's unlikely to be to add malevolent code.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:49 AM   #24
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Wouldn't it be better if the original makers did a repackaging of their own so that all would be done in one program instead of having to install three ? I mean keeping the whole process complicated is asking for third parties to repackage and make money off it.
It is unfortunate that Windows doesn't include a version of Python.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:56 AM   #25
Quexos
Member Retired

Then how do those so called third parties repackage and get it working ? They don't ask you to install Python thus it is technically possible to do this either without Python or with Python inside the single program package somehow.

Quote:
It is unfortunate that Windows doesn't include a version of Python.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:16 AM   #26
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Then how do those so called third parties repackage and get it working ? They don't ask you to install Python thus it is technically possible to do this either without Python or with Python inside the single program package somehow.
They do it by creating huge unwieldy downloads that each come with their own embedded python environment. Considering how many individual tools are included in the "tools," this could easily result in something that might be hundreds of megabytes in size as opposed to two. Transparency is also a big factor: the script IS the source-code.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:34 AM   #27
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
There aren't really any alternatives. There are just uncredited (and usually outdated) versions of the exact same "mentioned tools" that have been all wrapped up into (potentially dangerous) executables and given shiny new names... and oftentimes given a price tag.
Are people monetizing the good Apprentice's labor?
That is awful, yet oddly ironic.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:21 AM   #28
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Isn't code as proprietary as any other writing and subject to copyright laws?
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:23 AM   #29
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Isn't code as proprietary as any other writing and subject to copyright laws?
Apache
Yes, but copyright violations are a civil crime. The authors would have to sue the websites themselves. Even a DMCA notice would require them to give up their current anonymity.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:36 AM   #30
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"

There are always people waiting to take advantage of others.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apprentice alf, tools