Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-17-2008, 12:29 PM   #1
honeybunny
Connoisseur
honeybunny has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 2 GSM
Unresponsive

I got the low battery warning. Crap, I'm at work and at the very beginning of my lunch hour. Hmm. So I clicked the scroll wheel to Close the warning. It didn't do anything. Hmm. I kind of thought maybe I had just totally drained the battery to the point that it couldn't even change the screen.

So I took it out of its cover for the first time like, ever. I toggled the On/Off switch, but got no response. So I figured maybe this was the first time I needed to reset the Kindle. So I took off the cover, got a paperclip, and did the deed. The screen flashes a couple times and then remains blank.

So I found a USB cable of the proper type and plugged it into the Kindle and my laptop, hoping I could charge it that way. But it doesn't seem to be actually doing anything. The charge light doesn't come on the and the Kindle doesn't respond to anything.

Is this normal behavior? Do I have to use the AC adaptor (at home) to charge it? Or should I be more concerned?
honeybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:34 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I've heard they do this when their battery is just too low. Take it home and recharge with the supplied recharger......a couple of hours should do the trick. If this doesn't work, call the amazon support line.....good luck! And......welcome.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2008, 12:35 PM   #3
honeybunny
Connoisseur
honeybunny has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 2 GSM
Thanks, and thanks for the welcome. I've been on here before, just not in a few weeks!
honeybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:52 PM   #4
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybunny View Post
I got the low battery warning. Crap, I'm at work and at the very beginning of my lunch hour. Hmm. So I clicked the scroll wheel to Close the warning. It didn't do anything. Hmm. I kind of thought maybe I had just totally drained the battery to the point that it couldn't even change the screen.

So I took it out of its cover for the first time like, ever. I toggled the On/Off switch, but got no response. So I figured maybe this was the first time I needed to reset the Kindle. So I took off the cover, got a paperclip, and did the deed. The screen flashes a couple times and then remains blank.

So I found a USB cable of the proper type and plugged it into the Kindle and my laptop, hoping I could charge it that way. But it doesn't seem to be actually doing anything. The charge light doesn't come on the and the Kindle doesn't respond to anything.

Is this normal behavior? Do I have to use the AC adaptor (at home) to charge it? Or should I be more concerned?

Completely normal behavior. I'm amazed you even got it to go to a blank screen. When my battery gets too low, it just remains stuck on whatever screen I was in.

I've never been able to bring mine back from the dead via USB ... so I don't even bother trying. I now make it a habit to recharge mine every night. I bought a great recharging caddy thingie at the hardware store, and I just stick all of my carry around electronics in it every night.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:58 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And......

You might want to invest in another recharger and keep it at work. You do know you can read while your re-charging? as long as you haven't let it get 'too low'....
Advert
Old 07-17-2008, 01:07 PM   #6
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
I now make it a habit to recharge mine every night.
The user's manual does recommend charging it every night. So I just plug it in on my nightstand after I'm done reading. Never have to worry about the battery, cuz it's always charged.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:47 PM   #7
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I've heard they do this when their battery is just too low. Take it home and recharge with the supplied recharger......a couple of hours should do the trick. If this doesn't work, call the amazon support line.....good luck! And......welcome.
What Grandma says is true for the Cybook & Sony so I would think the Kindle would follow. E-ink displays are confusing since it requires no power to have a display.

Oh & welcome.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:50 PM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
What Grandma says is true for the Cybook & Sony so I would think the Kindle would follow. E-ink displays are confusing since it requires no power to have a display.

Oh & welcome.

Oh dear Lord, now I"m 'Grandma"
Old 07-17-2008, 05:18 PM   #9
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybunny View Post

The USB apparently only does a trickle charge and takes forever and a day. So your AC charger is probably the best solution.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote