Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-04-2014, 02:14 PM   #31
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
@avid01 --I use the OpenWith plugin and installed KindleViewer and configured it to open MOBI files instead of the built in view. No need to convert

Never tried it on a monster MOBI with that many pages, tho

You could try to use KindleForPC standalone and try the mobi to see if it works

Last edited by phossler; 08-04-2014 at 02:33 PM. Reason: PI uses 'KindleViewer' not 'KindleForPC'
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:44 PM   #32
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phossler View Post
@avid01 --I use the OpenWith plugin and installed KindleViewer and configured it to open MOBI files instead of the built in view. No need to convert

Never tried it on a monster MOBI with that many pages, tho

You could try to use KindleForPC standalone and try the mobi to see if it works
If the OS is configured to handle the MOBI filetype using KindleViewer (Do you mean Kindle Previewer?) then there is no need for Open With PI. (Open With is useful if you want multiple options for opening any specific filetype.)

Preferences ==> Interface ==> Behavior
Right column "Use internal viewer for:" uncheck MOBI.

calibre will not open it, and will instead pass it to the OS to open as it sees fit, using Default Program.

Last edited by eschwartz; 08-04-2014 at 03:39 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2014, 03:19 PM   #33
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@eschwartz -- "Do you mean Kindle Previewer" -

Yes, senior moment

I didn't configure Win7 to assume that so the OpenWith PI does it for me
Old 08-04-2014, 03:37 PM   #34
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phossler View Post
I didn't configure Win7 to assume that so the OpenWith PI does it for me
You can do that too, but Open With PI is mostly useful if you want multiple options for opening any specific filetype.

(Even if you know this already, it is still useful information for anyone else who comes along.)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:46 PM   #35
phossler
Wizard

Quote:
You can do that too, but Open With PI is mostly useful if you want multiple options for opening any specific filetype.
That's the biggest reason since it gives me the control and the options I like to choose how to open a file, which may not always be the Win7 default file association

Yes .. I think that it is useful so I'm glad you passed it along in case others might appreciate it
Advert