Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-12-2012, 11:31 AM   #61
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
NYT link worked for me. They have limited non-subscribers to only 10 articles, though.

They are called "the newspaper of record" by some. I never read it unless linked there by someone.
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:55 AM   #62
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDaneel54 View Post
NYT link worked for me. They have limited non-subscribers to only 10 articles, though.

They are called "the newspaper of record" by some. I never read it unless linked there by someone.
I guess I'm 10 articled out.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #63
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad Mini4, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Meh... ain't worth more than maybe a papaya or two.
One papaya is worth much more than five bananas
GeckoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:30 PM   #64
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I stopped using the Times when they limited access.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:33 PM   #65
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can we please find other sources of the news other then the New York Times as most of us cannot get in to read the articles? Thanks.
10 free every month Use private browsing if not work right.
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2012, 12:37 PM   #66
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Can we please find other sources of the news other then the New York Times as most of us cannot get in to read the articles? Thanks.
Two things on this.
1) I think the NYT advertises that you can get up to 10 (formerly 20) free articles a week. I suspect that your difference between the two visits could be that you hit your limit. If this is true, and if you weren't logged in, then its probably due to a cookie. So deleting the cookie or installing a cookie manager might change this. I know this isn't a great solution, I'm just suggesting that its something to try.

2) When I saw this thread, I remembered reading about this Amazon announcement. However, a google search proved to have a tough time locating the announcement. This NYT source was the only one that I saw that referenced the announcement.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:46 PM   #67
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
comments have interestng thinkers

Quote:
If publishers want to keep Amazon from pricing E-Books exclusively, they need to create an open platform in which all E-Books run on all readers, not unlike VCRs and DVD players, or music players. Then they need to find multiple venues to sell them.
Quote:
The current publishing model is bloated and inefficient. Collusion to maintain existing market structures is the sort of thing that got Greece and other such countries into trouble when they made public policy decisions to protect the status quo from disruptive innovation. If Amazon becomes a problem then the Justice Department can deal with them at that time, but right now Amazon's only crime is being too good at driving down costs and helping the consumer in the fact of a calcified publishing industry.
Quote:
perhaps the day of the paper book is drawing to a close. As it did for buggy whips, horse and carriages and the telegraph. It is the march of progress that the newer and better replaces the traditional, which was much more expensive to produce, ship and handle.

I think of all the trees that are NOT getting cut down for my books. All that ink. All the gas and wear on the roads to ship the books to the distributors and the stores. All the waste, all the raw materials that the e-book has made, or will soon make, unnecessary.

Such is progress. And every time technology has progressed, hordes of people whined about what they were "losing".

Sorry, I don't miss my old scratchy 33 RPM records, nor my 8-track tape, nor my video cassettes and I will not miss my paper books. Not at all.
Quote:
What will be our fate as a country when we have no booksellers left? In France the government protects small bookstores by mandating that books cannot be discounted by more than 5 percent. This is not a commodity like oil but an industry that must be maintained and protected -- at this point it may be more akin to an endangered species -- or we will lose what remaining bookstores we have.

Last edited by ScotiaBurrell; 04-12-2012 at 12:50 PM.
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #68
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
The link to the New York Times article works just fine for me. And I have no NYTimes account. I'm not sure what the complaints are.
If you try to view it a second time, it doesn't work and eventually, it won't work a first time.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #69
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
If you try to view it a second time, it doesn't work and eventually, it won't work a first time.
But I did try it a second time, and a third and a fourth. No prob. But assuming other posts are right... I could look at that article as many time as I want. As long as I don't look at more than nine other NYT articles in a month.

EDIT: I just checked again. Still working.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:30 PM   #70
TechnoCat
Zealot
TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanna View Post
Most people don't concern themselves with the whys and wherefores surrounding the publishing industry.... They just go to a store and if they don't see something they want, they'll be pissed off at the vendor and look for the product elsewhere.
See, my world is different. Nobody I know acts that way, and I don't believe your siblings do either. When you went to a Border or B&N, you would be looking for a few things, often finding none or few, but also looking for something new. You probably always left with something.

And we do that with the Fire too. In a few cases, we want a specific something - the next Terry Pratchett, or the next in some other series - but usually people already are reading many. I doubt Amazon will suffer.

Example, I read to my wife nightly. Currently, most evenings, it's a Jewish joke book. (She's Jewish.) We didn't really care which such book. That's how it works.
TechnoCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:44 PM   #71
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoCat View Post
See, my world is different. Nobody I know acts that way, and I don't believe your siblings do either. When you went to a Border or B&N, you would be looking for a few things, often finding none or few, but also looking for something new. You probably always left with something.
That would all depend on whether they were just browsing or looking for something in particular. If they're just browsing, then yes, they'll likely pick something else up. If they're looking for the newest Stephen King or J.D. Robb book and it's not there, they'll look for it elsewhere. If no one did that, and they always ended up buying something, anything from the store they're currently browsing, why would Amazon cave and put back the Macmillan buy buttons after 24 hours? Wouldn't Amazon have ended up winning the war pre-Agency model if they'd just toughed it out and waited for all their customers to buy other products, showing Macmillan they didn't really need their books in the Amazon store after all?

Last edited by Suzanna; 04-13-2012 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Typo and to clarify the last point.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:46 AM   #72
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The last dust-up led to Amazon caving. The books got pulled. Amazon customers screamed, "Where are the ______ books????" Amazon surrendered.

The Amazon forum has been replete with complaints saying, "Why are ebooks so expensive? I bought a Kindle to save money. Amazon is ripping us off!!!!"
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:25 AM   #73
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Today the millions of people whose first Kindle is the Kindle 3, K4, KT have no history with the $9.99 price point. That went away 2 years ago. Most Kindle owners have paid sales tax on all of their books the entire time they owned their Kindles. Different users, different expectations.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:31 AM   #74
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanna View Post
Wouldn't Amazon have ended up winning the war pre-Agency model if they'd just toughed it out and waited for all their customers to buy other products, showing Macmillan they didn't really need their books in the Amazon store after all?
I think Amazon knew that the rest of the big publishers were backing Macmillan and would also pull their books as contracts came up for renewal, that's too big a loss to them.

As for buying something else, I've done it a couple of times, but if I go to a shop to buy a specific game or book (when I still used to shop off-line for books) and they didn't have it, I went to another store. That's one of the reasons Amazon used to get the majority of my paper book buying, it was very rare they didn't have the book I wanted available for shipping.

I think Amazon could have managed to convince customers to buy other authors had just Macmillan pulled out and in time authors would put pressure on Macmillan to get their books in the highest grossing store, but Amazon probably knew the rest of the big publishers would follow and that would likely be too big a loss.

Even more so at a time when they're still growing their user base and locking customers into the kindle. Existing customers would likely make do with the odd missing title since they can't use any other store to buy their kindle books (those who don't know or want to DRM free their books). But, if Amazon lost too many publishers, new buyers might go with non kindle devices where the stores have a wider selection.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:07 PM   #75
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I guess I'm 10 articled out.

Try this for NYTimes:

http://euri.ca/2011/03/get-around-ne...article-limit/
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote