Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-07-2012, 10:46 AM   #436
Stefanauss
Stefanauss began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92 (previously: Asus EEE Reader DR-900)
Incorrect Internal Flash Size and Used space

Hi guys,

just starting playing with the M92.
After a couple of days exploring, I flashed 1.7 20120326 and formatted external SD Card with the PC and internal memory through the M92 interface.

Somehow, now the M92 tells me that the internal memory amounts to 2.1 GB instead of 4 GB! (in the About screen).
This can be easily seen on my PC. MYBOOKS is the SDCard and boox is the internal flash.

Code:
stefanauss@barney:~$ mount
[...]
/dev/sdd on /media/MYBOOKS type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,uid=1000,gid=1000,shortname=mixed,dmask=0077,utf8=1,showexec,flush,uhelper=udisks)
/dev/sdc on /media/boox type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,uid=1000,gid=1000,shortname=mixed,dmask=0077,utf8=1,showexec,flush,uhelper=udisks)

Code:
stefanauss@barney:~$ df -h
File system            Dim. Usati Disp. Uso% Montato su
[...]
/dev/sdd               15G  689M   15G   5% /media/MYBOOKS
/dev/sdc              2,0G   68M  2,0G   4% /media/boox
The other strange things is that in the about panel the amount of used space is completely wrong. It reports 1976/2043 MB used, but instead I have just about 68MB of books there.

Anyone experiencing the same. What can I try?

With my out-of-the-box firmware (201112<something>), that seemed to be very old, the internal flash was correctly recognized as 4GB in the about panel.

Last edited by Stefanauss; 04-07-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Stefanauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:40 AM   #437
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
I am not sure what is displayed and what that exactly means..... There is many different concepts how to present internal memory....

PC might show the whole m92 memory or only memory 'accesible' via PC. From PC you see only part of M92's internal memory. The memory used displayed from PC is probably the amount of contents uploaded by PC (and some other created by M92 in that part of folder structure), while M92 About value would probably include also firmware, etc.

Concerning the decrease of internal memory from 4G to 2G. I have no idea. I personaly wouldn't risk to format internal memory, if it is not really needed (device often hangs, files are corrupted, etc.).
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2012, 03:19 PM   #438
Stefanauss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
I am not sure what is displayed and what that exactly means..... There is many different concepts how to present internal memory....
This is definitely one of those cases: I just found out, by reformatting the internal memory, that after a fresh start it displays "Flash usage: 2043/2043", so it displays empty space, which is kinda misleading.
After reloading 70 MB of backuped stuff, it is down to 1973/2043, which is correct.

Quote:
PC might show the whole m92 memory or only memory 'accesible' via PC. From PC you see only part of M92's internal memory. The memory used displayed from PC is probably the amount of contents uploaded by PC (and some other created by M92 in that part of folder structure), while M92 About value would probably include also firmware, etc.
What does your (and others, please let me know) Onyx says in the about section? 4GB or 2GB? Maybe It's supposed to be like this for the device, but on the spec it says 4096MB, and it's not specified to be shared with the OS.

Quote:
Concerning the decrease of internal memory from 4G to 2G. I have no idea. I personaly wouldn't risk to format internal memory, if it is not really needed (device often hangs, files are corrupted, etc.).
The "Format Memory" is a device option, fully exposed to the user. It has to work safely. I didn't do anything exotic.
Regardless, I'd just like to found out if the 2GB is a bug of the latest build I'm running (and if so, how it can be solved) or if it's just the way It is.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:39 PM   #439
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

I run 1.7 RC firmware (last one).

M92's About says:
"Flash usage: 646/3297 MB"

PC in Win says:
Capacity: 3.21 GB
Used: 2.58 GB
Free: 646 MB

So, the first value at Onyx About is probably available memory (as you also write), not the used one as one would expect.

At this state, I would try it reformat once more and download 1.6 firmware.

But normaly I would avoid formating device regardless how easy or difficult it is. Formatting may always be a bit risky, as well as upgrading firmware. Many things might go wrong...
Old 04-09-2012, 12:40 AM   #440
labyrinth9
labyrinth9 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
I use M92 for about 3 weeks. I like it. It is my 1st e-ink reader, but i know Kindle and Kindle DX, which do not meet my needs. On general I am very satisfied with the reader. I waited for something like it for more than year (since PB 903 was born). I use it for scribling in pdf texts, which works just fine.

I would suggest few improvements:
1) I would like to have a possibility to go directly to home page. For example by pressing Return (or Home) for several seconds.

2) Long press of Home could be used for switching between two tools (for example dictionary and scribling to text). It would be fine if user could configure what should be switched. Or the best would be to invoke a submenu with last cca 5 tools used displayed and user could choose from the list.

3) Calibration of stylus doesn't seem to work. (in firmware 1.6)

4) It would be nice to be able to remove any dictionary. If I know, I will never use Chinese-English dictionary, why to have it placed at 1st possition? It eats up space in selection menu of dictionaries.

5) It would be nice if it would be also possible to export scribbles and text in pdf only for pages, where are scribles. Pages without scribles would be ommited.

6) I like the display mode without margins. It seems to me, it could be fine to user define (the best per document) correction for automaticaly detected margin (top, bottom, left and right) + and - values in mm. Sometimes the text starts right on the edge of display which is readable, but for me a bit unnatural - I would prefer to add few mm of white. Sometimes the white edge is too large, because of unimportant heading or page numbering far away from the text block. In this case I would like to remove it and thus expand the text of interest.

7) In the long run, it would be nice if e-reader could run mapping software. It would be great to have a possibility to see a map and my possition on the map. Coordinates would get into reader from GPS via GPS-BT -> BT-WiFi -> M92 or could go by USB if M92 is able to provide USB Host.

It is only cosmetic issue, but I would change an icon on Home button. It doesn't function as Home, but as Local Menu. Also icon on the task bar should be the same as one on the button.

I know it is a tiny issue, but to my opinion creates lots of confusion for new users and they might thing the reader is defective.....
I agree with most of this (with the exception of the map, which I don't really have a use for)

I also would like to add:

8) A quick way to add bookmarks and follow them in the pdf, djvu, & epub readers. (perhaps on the progress bar on the bottom, there can be arrows added to the pages which are bookmarked)

9) Physically, a scroll wheel for rapidly turning the pages. As a math student, I often need to flip back several pages quickly. (this is a little difficult since the pages won't render quickly, but I think it would be an improvement)

Thanks!
labyrinth9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2012, 02:04 PM   #441
E-readers Fan
E-readers Fan began at the beginning.

Device: onyx boox m92
Please add an Arabic Keyboard layout so we can search Arabic words in on the web and in Arabic books.
There are many Arabic readers who are looking for an e-ink e-reader that supports reading Arabic in non-pdf files (epub, doc, chm .. etc.), and there are only two e-readers so far that we know of that support that, which are onyx boox and pocketbook, but pocketbook is ahead of onyx boox in having an arabic interface and an arabic keyboard layout, which make many of them prefer pocketbook for that reason. So if onyx can at least add an arabic keyboard that would be great !

Thank you
E-readers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:41 AM   #442
Valec
Valec began at the beginning.

Device: M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by labyrinth9 View Post
8) A quick way to add bookmarks and follow them in the pdf, djvu, & epub readers. (perhaps on the progress bar on the bottom, there can be arrows added to the pages which are bookmarked)
That would be great and really useful! One could have two buttons in the progress bar, 'add bookmark' and 'remove bookmark', and if 'add bookmark' is pressed, an arrow should be set on the orgress bar, so one can jump there directly. I often have to jump back and forth by a few pages, and quickly accesible bookmarks would be a huge improvement.
Valec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:03 AM   #443
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
I thouht that the bookmark of a page was allready in the firmware It was obviousness ...
It's a useful function of my EB60.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:42 AM   #444
ignacio ferrer
Banned
ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
I thouht that the bookmark of a page was allready in the firmware It was obviousness ...
"our team of engineers is already frantically looking for a solution to be implemented in an unknown future final stabilized beta" ...
ignacio ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:32 PM   #445
Mono
Mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
Bookmark function IS in M92. The features suggested are meant as improvement over present 'state of arts' to make creation of bookmarks and access to them easier (faster).

Bookmarks could also be 'joined' with Go to Page dialog and Last N Pages. It would simplify the navigation within the book. You could enter the page number or go to one of N last pages or go to bookmark.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:57 AM   #446
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Thanks Mono for this good news
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:01 AM   #447
E-readers Fan

Another issue is the copy and paste

when I copy and paste English text, it pastes without spaces. So the words appear connected to each other, like one long word.

With Arabic, it comes out backwards.

Please fix this issue in the next update.

THANK YOU
Old 04-12-2012, 10:28 AM   #448
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-readers Fan View Post
Another issue is the copy and paste

when I copy and paste English text, it pastes without spaces. So the words appear connected to each other, like one long word.

With Arabic, it comes out backwards.

Please fix this issue in the next update.

THANK YOU
The problem with omitting spaces between words is not a general issue or bug of Onyx software. I assume you could notice that some PDFs are affected, some not. We have discovered, that this is an issue of Adobe SDK.

The Adobe SDK does not recognize the words correctly in some PDFs.

We have contacted Adobe regarding that problem, but there is still no reaction from them..

May be some kind of reworking of affected PDFs could help in your case?
I am not expert in Adobe Acrobat and PDF editing, so if somebody advices what could be done now, welcome (as long as Adobe keeps silent)?
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:26 AM   #449
Stefanauss

I have a problem on 1.7 beta, build 26032012
Basically, annotations in epub doesn't work.

I select Add Annotation, Select the text with the pen, the keyboard pops up, i write "test" or something else, click on "Ok", and the screen turns back to normal, without text being highlighted anymore.
Then, i click on "All annotation" to display the annotation i just made but it's all empty.
I tried that on 3 different epubs.

Am I doing something wrong? Does epub annotation works for you?
Because the same exact steps works in PDFs for me.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:45 AM   #450
E-readers Fan

In the next update please add:

1. A feature that allows us to delete websites , including the websites that are included in the firmware such as German wiki and German google, because they are of no use to non-German speakers, and just take up space.

2. A features in the web browser that allows us to copy text from websites, and paste on the web (i.e. in an email or a forum .. etc.) or in the Note.

Thank you