Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Who's able to drag and drop or sync eBook library 3.0 with any of his Sony units with
Drag and drop always is working 17 39.53%
Drag and drop only is working for certain files or other exceptions 4 9.30%
Drag and drop always crashes eBook library 3.0 8 18.60%
Syncing always is working 5 11.63%
Syncing only is working for certain files or other exceptions 1 2.33%
Syncing always crashes eBook library 3.0 10 23.26%
eBook library 3.0 is working perfectly 12 27.91%
I've reinstalled eBook library 2.x or use calibre or other tools and for the moment gave up with eBook library 3.0 10 23.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-08-2009, 11:35 AM   #1
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
eBook library 3.0 working or crashing on you?

I can copy my eBooks via Windows explorer, Adobe Digital Editions, calibre...
But when using eBook library 3.0, it crashes.
I've tried lots of tips like checking for the latest Java install, deleting corrupted PDFs, reinstallation of course - without any result at all.
Others have posted similar experiences.....

What about you?

Update:
It's working now for me: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...81&postcount=1

Last edited by mgmueller; 09-13-2009 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Shorten title
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:02 PM   #2
newbie#1
newbie#1 began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
I've tried for hours, went back and forth between 2.0 and 3.0. I even contacted Sony helpdesk and de-installed the reader's driver. Finally, I gave up. Mainly I'm using Adobe Digital Editions now. I've reinstalled Ebook Library 2.0 as well.
newbie#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:04 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I can drag & drop just fine actually. I'm using XP Pro and it works without issue on my computer. I've used it on the laptop too running Vista Home Premium with Comodo and it works fine there too. Both are 32-bit Windows.

As for syncing, I have no idea. I never use it. Can we have an option in the poll for those who do not use sync?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:06 PM   #4
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I can drag & drop just fine actually. I'm using XP Pro and it works without issue on my computer. I've used it on the laptop too running Vista Home Premium with Comodo and it works fine there too. Both are 32-bit Windows.

As for syncing, I have no idea. I never use it.
Can you drag and drop any kind of format? BBeB, ePUB, PDF, ...?
Old 09-08-2009, 12:10 PM   #5
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:

As for syncing, I have no idea. I never use it. Can we have an option in the poll for those who do not use sync?
Probably eBook library 3.0 is incompatible to some 3rd party application.
Last night, when starting Outlook, PDF Converter 5.0 from Nuance permanently was crashing. The application standalone did crash as well when started separately. I've deinstalled eBook library for a short time and PDF Converter was working again.
I don't want to deinstall PDF Converter and check the impact on eBook library 3.0 for the moment, but this of course would be the next logical checkup.

Last edited by mgmueller; 09-08-2009 at 12:12 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:49 PM   #6
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
We have a PRS-505 and a PRS-700 running Windows Vista Ultimate.

After installing version 3.0 of eBook Library, the first drag and drop to the PRS-505 resulted in:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: eBook Library.exe
Application Version: 3.0.0.0
Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll

A problem report was sent to MS but as of yet no reply.

The .lrx eBook just purchased from the eBook Store got transferred, but then the eBook Library crashed and we didn't get the OK to disconnect reader. I ran the safely remove hardware function and disconnected the reader anyway.

Shortly after this (I can't remember how long), Java informed me that there was an available update, which I downloaded and applied, and rebooted.

Since then there have been *no* problems buying, or transferring .lrf .lrx .epub or .pdf eBooks to either of our readers.

Wetdogeared.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:13 PM   #7
weasty
Enthusiast
weasty has become one with the cosmosweasty has become one with the cosmosweasty has become one with the cosmosweasty has become one with the cosmosweasty has become one with the cosmosweasty has become one with the cosmosweasty has become one with the cosmosweasty has become one with the cosmosweasty has become one with the cosmosweasty has become one with the cosmosweasty has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle paper white, kobo mini, nook glo, iPad 3
I have not had a single issue with the software I have a prs 300 I did however have to tell my computer to run the software as windows xp cuz im running windows 7 and it didnt like that. After I did that not a single issue works perfect.
weasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:39 PM   #8
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasty View Post
I have not had a single issue with the software I have a prs 300 I did however have to tell my computer to run the software as windows xp cuz im running windows 7 and it didnt like that. After I did that not a single issue works perfect.
Surprisingly, this has done the trick. Thanks a lot. Should have thought of it myself
UPDATE: It did the trick once. It was syncing the entire "purchased" library with Sony 505's internal memory. When changing that synchronisation, it crashed again. Now, as before, it always crashes.

Last edited by mgmueller; 09-08-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:05 PM   #9
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Can we have an option in the poll for those who do not use sync?
How do I change/add to a poll?
Old 09-08-2009, 02:20 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This is the Java I have on my computer now...

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_13-b03)
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:26 PM   #11
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
This is the Java I have on my computer now...

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_13-b03)
I even got 1.6.0_15-b03
Old 09-08-2009, 02:35 PM   #12
mgmueller
Member Retired

Can drag/drop to cards but not internal memory

After having cancelled the auto-sync, it's not crashing when starting already.
It's crashing when dragging to internal memory.
To SD card or memory stick I can drag though...
I don't have any cards in my Sony 600 yet, Sony 300 doesn't have any expansion anyway. This might be the explanation, why they permanently crash.
But I don't see the difference. For example, internal memory and cards all are FAT32.

Last edited by mgmueller; 09-08-2009 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:01 PM   #13
mgmueller
Member Retired

Syncing

So much I've found out:
Syncing seems to be more critical than drag and drop.
When syncing once failed/crashed, obviously it permanently tries and again and again crashes.
I've manually deleted the sync XML-file. After that, it didn't retry and didn't crash anymore.
Then I can drag and drop to SD card or memory stick without problems.
Dragging to internal memory still crashes all the times though.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:07 PM   #14
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I haven't connected to the Sony ebook library in ages. However, I noticed something this morning. I bought 2 books from Sony, which of course downloaded automatically. I needed to make a backup copy ... but couldn't find them!

It turns out that the new software has made itself a new folder on my hard drive just for Sony downloads. They are hiding in "My Documents" then "My Library" and then "Ebook Library." Only those 2 books are in there, but when I open the library software, it shows all of them including the 2.

Not complaining, just saying. All I needed was yet another file to scatter ebooks onto my computer.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:12 PM   #15
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I haven't connected to the Sony ebook library in ages. However, I noticed something this morning. I bought 2 books from Sony, which of course downloaded automatically. I needed to make a backup copy ... but couldn't find them!

It turns out that the new software has made itself a new folder on my hard drive just for Sony downloads. They are hiding in "My Documents" then "My Library" and then "Ebook Library." Only those 2 books are in there, but when I open the library software, it shows all of them including the 2.

Not complaining, just saying. All I needed was yet another file to scatter ebooks onto my computer.
Are you using the new library software 3.0 or the former one (2.x)?
2.x for me has been working flawlessly. Given your description, it seems to be 3.0.
Can you sync? To internal memory?
For me, only both memory cards are working, internal memory is crashing.

Tags
crashing, ebl 3.0, ebook library