Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which books would you prefer for the December 2013 MobileRead Book Club selection?
Dubliners by James Joyce 17 43.59%
The Mysterious Mr. Quin by Agatha Christie 13 33.33%
The Unreal and the Real, Selected Stories of Ursula K. Le Guin Vol. 2 by Ursula K. Le Guin 5 12.82%
The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle 9 23.08%
The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury 10 25.64%
The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling 12 30.77%
Tales From the Jazz Age by F. Scott Fitzgerald 11 28.21%
10 Wonderful Short Stories to Read For Free Online by various authors 9 23.08%
Limits by Larry Niven 6 15.38%
Shifu, You'll Do Anything for a Laugh by Mo Yan 6 15.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-05-2013, 03:33 AM   #31
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura
“There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written. That is all.”
OSCAR WILDE. The Picture of Dorian Gray.
pynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:09 AM   #32
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Amen to that!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:10 AM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I disagree. Books can be very immoral.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:17 AM   #34
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Interesting to see that you changed your post, which previously suggested that the readers of these books are immoral.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:18 AM   #35
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura
Only acts can be moral or immoral, and books don’t act ...
pynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:30 AM   #36
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
So. Between you, me, and Jon; who do you suppose will be the first to finish Dubliners? You know some of its characters show up later in our all-time favorite book, Ulysses.
WHAT! You mean we are reading out of order!?!?

John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:36 AM   #37
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I read Ethan Frome when I was in school. Awful book. And as for Lolita, I won't be reading it because I am not a pedophile.

I am relieved to know that you are not a pedophile, and that (presumably) you are not wanted by any authorities who are looking for pedophiles.

I have read the book and find it to be an astonishing piece of literature. I also agree with those critics who find it to be a classic of literature.

For your information only: I am not a pedophile.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:24 AM   #38
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Dubliners is the one book in the list I refuse to read.
Quote:
Originally Posted by medard View Post
You can't do that Mr Wolf since it's officially voted as the book of the month.
Quote:
Actually, I can since I never nominated and/or voted for it.
Where does it say that? It doesn't even make sense. If people are only willing to read their own choices, the logical end to that is no discussion or club at all.

And then there's the aspect that you don't observe even that piddling convention.

I get that in any given month, someone might not participate because of time or book availability or sheer aversion (I'll even grant you Lolita, although you're missing a great work of literature), but if you're going to be involved in the process, I think there's an obligation to participate most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I think I'll vote for "Dubliners," since I would like the participation to be one conducive of respect toward other member's opinions.
Exactly!

Last edited by issybird; 12-05-2013 at 10:28 AM.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #39
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
No one is under obligation to read a book just because it was selected nor are they obligated to take part in any discussion. I've already stated I've had my fill of Joyce and won't be reading the book. I'll moderate the discussion, and support all who wish to read it, but I have zero interest in re-engaging with an author who has bored me to tears in the past. If others find him interesting, all well and good. I don't. Yes, it's good to expand one's horizons, and book clubs are excellent ways to expose us to material that would normally be off our beaten track, but that doesn't mean we have to read every book voted on and take part in every discussion.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:14 PM   #40
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I've actually read "The Dead" the last story in the book several times and a couple of the others. Will be interesting to see/read the discussion!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #41
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
No one is under obligation to read a book just because it was selected nor are they obligated to take part in any discussion. I've already stated I've had my fill of Joyce and won't be reading the book. I'll moderate the discussion, and support all who wish to read it, but I have zero interest in re-engaging with an author who has bored me to tears in the past. If others find him interesting, all well and good. I don't. Yes, it's good to expand one's horizons, and book clubs are excellent ways to expose us to material that would normally be off our beaten track, but that doesn't mean we have to read every book voted on and take part in every discussion.

I did not read (actually read again for what would have been the third time) the Count of Monte Cristo last month. It was an alright adventure novel, but not of such merit that I cared to revisit it. Sometimes the book selected will be of so little interest to some that they don't care to read it even if they do wish to participate in the book selection process. Though on the other hand there have been a number of instances where my first choice did not win, or for that matter my last choice did, but I still read the selected book and tried to contribute to the discussion. I do question whether or not someone who will only read the one book they want to win and not participate if that book is not selected is really interested in participating in a monthly book club?
Old 12-05-2013, 04:12 PM   #42
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
that doesn't mean we have to read every book voted on and take part in every discussion.
Did someone say it did?

If you're referring to my post, I explicitly gave exceptions for time, availability or aversion. The last would cover your Joyce situation. I'd hardly advocate a standard I don't meet myself.

I also, to make it clear, am using the word participate to mean read the selected book. Some folks lurk.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:21 PM   #43
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

Ah well, let's those of us who want to read Dubliners and have a discussion about it, and those who don't can settle down in a comfortable chair and read something else on their own.

I'll certainly be reading it. I must confess I have never tackled Ulysses, so I'm looking forward to getting my first taste of James Joyce.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:53 PM   #44
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
I've always been too intimidated by Joyce's reputation to attempt to read him, although he is on my bucket list. Dubliners has been on my TBR pile for several months which is why I nominated it. I'm amazed by how interesting and accessible it is. I'm also amazed that it won.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:40 AM   #45
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Alright: enough is enough. I will read the Dubliners, even though I started 4 times on Ulysses and didn't get past the first 20 pages, have tons of other books to read and I am extremely busy at work.

Three reasons:
- I don't easily give up on a book and Ulysses felt like a sort of defeat
- the book is free..........(the most silly reason perhaps)
- this discussion of not wanting to read, not going to read, why not reading?......about the book piques my curiosity

all in the spirit of the season and giving second chances......

(just an afterthought: has this book many pages......?)
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote