Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 04-29-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Unhappy Anyone using Fire HD + Calibre + Win7?

I've had my Fire HD 8.9 since Nov and have never been successful in transferring my Calibre books via USB. I'm running Win7 x64 and the latest version of Calibre (0.9.28). The Fire is recognized as a media device -- never as a drive.

Honestly, I've read the dozens and dozens of posts here on MR as well as those found via Google the past several months. It seems the solutions are targeted at XP users, not Win7. Is anyone with a Fire HD successfully transferring books via USB with Win7?

Please tell me what the secret is. I am pulling my hair out.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Have you tried loading the Kindle Fire drivers? You may want to check over at XDA.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:09 PM   #3
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Have you tried loading the Kindle Fire drivers? You may want to check over at XDA.
I looked over there but I was under the impression I needed to be rooted. I'm not.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:10 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am rooted but I recall having to install the drivers before rooting.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:16 PM   #5
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
I am rooted but I recall having to install the drivers before rooting.
Thank you, Daffy4u -- do you by chance have a link? The only posts I have found are a year old -- for the Fire, not HD.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:35 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Here's one but I'm not sure it is where I got mine originally.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2072359

See post #3. This is poster who had the instructions I followed to root my Fire HD.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:40 PM   #7
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Here's one but I'm not sure it is where I got mine originally.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2072359

See post #3. This is poster who had the instructions I followed to root my Fire HD.
Thank you, Daffy4u. I'm going to have to educate myself on the ADB stuff - I am clueless and don't want to brick my device.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:43 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Before you do anything, go to YouTube and search for "Kindle Fire HD drivers" and you'll see some videos that you should be helpful.

I always scour YouTube when I try things I'm not familiar with (even installing my Garbage disposal). ;-)
Old 04-29-2013, 06:00 PM   #9
lbik
Reader
lbik doesn't litterlbik doesn't litter

Device: Kindle KB and Kindle Fire HD 8.9
I use my Kindle Fire HD 8.9 (rooted) with Calibre Companion and it works great.
lbik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:49 PM   #10
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbik View Post
I use my Kindle Fire HD 8.9 (rooted) with Calibre Companion and it works great.
Yes, I understand it works quite well -- as does a simple wireless transfer. But, as I mentioned in my post, I am trying to get the device to connect as a drive via USB.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:51 PM   #11
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Before you do anything, go to YouTube and search for "Kindle Fire HD drivers" and you'll see some videos that you should be helpful.

I always scour YouTube when I try things I'm not familiar with (even installing my Garbage disposal). ;-)
Ah, yes-- YouTube! Thank you Daffy4u, I'll do it.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:09 AM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I don't believe the ADB drivers will have anything to do with being able to see the device as a "drive." Make sure you concentrate on solutions for problems with MTP drivers and connecting MTP devices.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:21 AM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
I've had my Fire HD 8.9 since Nov and have never been successful in transferring my Calibre books via USB. I'm running Win7 x64 and the latest version of Calibre (0.9.28). The Fire is recognized as a media device -- never as a drive.
Why haven't you been successful? I would expect your Fire HD 8.9 to be seen as a media device just like my Nexus 7, but I have no trouble transferring my books via MTP.

What happens when you connect your Fire HD 8.9 to calibre? If it isn't being detected follow the info in the Sticky post above titled: My device is not detected by calibre.

Quote:
Honestly, I've read the dozens and dozens of posts here on MR as well as those found via Google the past several months. It seems the solutions are targeted at XP users, not Win7.
They are targeted at XP because calibre does not support MTP transfers in Windows XP. Windows 7(64) though is supported and works.

Quote:
Is anyone with a Fire HD successfully transferring books via USB with Win7?

Please tell me what the secret is. I am pulling my hair out.
I think it is safe to say they are transferring books via MTP to their tablets just fine.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #14
Spur52
Enthusiast
Spur52 can extract oil from cheeseSpur52 can extract oil from cheeseSpur52 can extract oil from cheeseSpur52 can extract oil from cheeseSpur52 can extract oil from cheeseSpur52 can extract oil from cheeseSpur52 can extract oil from cheeseSpur52 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle
I also had that problem. But I found (for me anyway) that the Fire had to be turned off before plugging into the computer. I s your Fire off when plugging in?
Spur52 is offline   Reply With Quote