Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-21-2010, 07:54 PM   #1
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Anything with 10"+ in Pearl on the horizon?

Any readers coming out with 10"+ Pearl (or equivalent) screens coming out soon?

I was about to get the Kindle DXG, even though I feel the screen is too small for PDFs, but apparently Amazon still does not support PDFs even halfway decently, so I am going to pass on it. I am also sick of Amazon't locked down ecosystem, so it's just as well.

Last edited by Sonist; 08-21-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:14 PM   #2
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
The new Pocketbooks 902 and 903 support PDF mighty fine and they come in a good size, 10 inches, but they lack Pearl, and Sony, which has Pearl screens, hasn't seemed to present big screen models this time. If I were you, I'd wait two weeks until IFA, the big electronic German fair, takes place. That's where PB will present their devices, and Sony will have said something about its new readers in those days.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:31 PM   #3
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
The Dx G now supports landscape viewing and zoom. A new software update should allow highlighting, annotating and dictionary use... not TOC or hyperlink support, but it's better than what was before.... none of that.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:35 PM   #4
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Thanks, I think I'll wait until after IFA.

I can still read on what I have now, but was just itching for more contrast and decent PDF capabilities, and a larger screen, of course.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:32 AM   #5
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Any readers coming out with 10"+ Pearl (or equivalent) screens coming out soon?

I was about to get the Kindle DXG, even though I feel the screen is too small for PDFs, but apparently Amazon still does not support PDFs even halfway decently, so I am going to pass on it. I am also sick of Amazon't locked down ecosystem, so it's just as well.
Oh, I must be confused, I thought pdf support on the Kindle was OK. I just almost bought a Kindle DX

I just ordered Apple's Final Cut Studio Suite, which comes with thousands of pages of PDF manuals , and I'm beginning to dream about a large(r) screen reader. I even saw that one of the books I wanted to buy (in order to learn how to use the software) is available for Kindle, though strangely enough it's more expensive than the paper one even though it doesn't come with the companion DVD.

I finally decided that e-reader technology is not yet ready for this kind of book, and ordered the paperback version. But I'm still keeping an eye out for large screen readers from now on. And for a decent solution to read those PDF manuals
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:35 AM   #6
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
I'm (impatiently) waiting for Pixel Qi or Mirasol technology.

Notion Ink's Adam so far is the first one coming to market (possibly Novemberish) and I found some info saying its 10". It probably won't be bright white like e-Ink Perl but more the off-green like jetBook's LCD. The trade-off is color and option to swap from reflective to backlit.

Mirasol looks to be more pure white from the videos/screenshots but I think its still a year+ out.
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:56 AM   #7
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
The Lattice from Innoversal with a Pixel QI screen is rumoured to be released during the next couple of months, first in Taiwan. Have a look at this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89683
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:21 AM   #8
Luigino
Groupie
Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nothing
I'm looking too for a simil-Kindle DX Graphite 9" with eInk Pearl screen, since minimum 9" is the best configuration for reading PDF... any news about it?...

Thanks
Ciao,
Luigi
Luigino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:22 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Oh, I must be confused, I thought pdf support on the Kindle was OK. I just almost bought a Kindle DX
The Kindle DX can display PDFs OK, but that's all it can do. There's no support for hyperlinks, table of contents, searching, annotation, dictionary look-up, or anything else.

This should improve when the Kindle DX receives the firmware update that the Kindle 3 has. That adds support for hyperlinks and annotation to PDFs. There is, however, no word as to when it will come out, but Amazon are pretty good about releasing firmware updates.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:27 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Is this going to be the same K3 firmware that locks, crashes, and reboots?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:30 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is this going to be the same K3 firmware that locks, crashes, and reboots?
I'm sorry to hear that your Kindle 3 has such problems, Jon. Mine doesn't.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:33 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm sorry to hear that your Kindle 3 has such problems, Jon. Mine doesn't.
I don't have a K3. That is based on what I've read at MR.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:37 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I don't have a K3. That is based on what I've read at MR.
Perhaps you hadn't also read that there's now a 3.0.1 firmware upgrade out which appears to fix the stability issues that some people had experienced. Any new device will have "teething troubles", but Amazon have a very good track record of releasing firmware updates to fix them.