Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 07-22-2010, 08:50 AM   #1
soup
soup began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
page numbers coming up over text

I'm really getting into editing the format of ebooks to better read them.

so far sigil is great, I really can't fault it, but oe thing I just can't seem to find anywhere in the ePub file is code that makes page numbers come up.

I ask because I want it gone, my Kobo already tells me what page I'm on but I also get page numbers on the side of my screen slowly running down the page each page as I go along, over the text.

I have no idea where this might be, does anybody know what it could be?
soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:57 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This is nothing to do with the file; it's the ADE reader software that displays the marginal page numbers.

I find that setting a 13pt right margin leaves a sufficient gap such that the page numbers won't overlap the text.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:15 AM   #3
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Use
body {
margin-left: 12pt;
margin-right:12pt;
... [anything else you want in the body css]
}

Or, if you're working on a book converted in calibre, there will be a selector at the top named 'calibre' that's used for the body code:
.calibre {
display: block;
font-size: 1em;
margin-bottom: 0;
margin-left: 12pt;
margin-right: 12pt;
margin-top: 0;
page-break-before: always;
text-align: justify
}
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:55 AM   #4
soup

why does it cascade down every page? and some pages dont show one at all.

also they're usually wrong.

I'd prefer to not have it at all if I could, and in short of that, keep the extra page content, hell, I'd decrease the margins more if I knew how, I already have them at 0 anf there's still more pixels to use...

Last edited by soup; 07-22-2010 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:03 PM   #5
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
The page numbers on ADE-based readers occur every 1024 characters if they aren't defined by a separate page number file. The original idea was to allow the ebook creator to tag the file properly so that the numbers on screen match those in a printed copy, making it easier to refer to a citation by its page number, but automatically-generated ones serve little function.

Trying to cram as much text onto the page as you can is just a bad idea. Proper margins and spacing allow you to read faster.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:04 PM   #6
soup

I guess this sort of thing should be expected seeing that ebooks are still in their relative infantcy.... the move from paper to digital is bound to have teething problems, this isn't as bad as a lot of other problems when different media moved to a digital format...

however I shall endeavour to find a solution. having it come up every 1024 chars seems odd, what about pictures?, what about oddly shaped pictures with word wrapping? what about how you can change the font size within the device?

I don't do evertthing I can to "cram" as much into each page as possible ;-P I do like formatting, I'd just prefer to have as much properly formatted text on the page as possible.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:45 PM   #7
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
Originally Posted by soup View Post
having it come up every 1024 chars seems odd, what about pictures?
A picture is worth a thousand and twenty-four characters.
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:12 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
ADE page numbers mark "virtual pages" in the book, not "screens" on a particular reading device. Their purpose is to provide a device- and font-independent position marker.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:22 AM   #9
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
There is a solution though... The current version of ADE on the readers don't show it anymore. Downside: most readers have an older version and manufacturers don't apply firmware updates too often...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:50 PM   #10
soup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
There is a solution though... The current version of ADE on the readers don't show it anymore. Downside: most readers have an older version and manufacturers don't apply firmware updates too often...
so it should dissapear with a future firmware update....
Old 08-07-2010, 02:52 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
so it should disappear with a future firmware update....
Maybe, maybe not.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 05:31 PM   #12
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
so it should dissapear with a future firmware update....
You can always dream about a firmware update...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote