Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 04-28-2012, 05:47 AM   #3676
imageraw
Connoisseur
imageraw began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-650
thanks Analogus for taking the time to test it.

I could perhaps try to install the "Zork Custom Builds - 'Special Editions' for the PRS650" at http://erhartc.bplaced.net/ereader/index.php to see if that prompts a different behavior - though perhaps the 350 is different from the 650?

sorry you might've probably gone through this with a zillion people - now I have the "normal" PRS+ installed and I'm on LInux. Would I have to uninstall it + re-install the Zork through Windows or can I simply "upgrade" it to Zork through Linux? "Extract the zip-file somewhere on your computer" > can I do a sudo unzip here + copy and paste or do I have to go through Windows?

THANKS!!!
imageraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:27 AM   #3677
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
Hi

Yes, you are not the first one asking this question ;-) No problem!

The principle is simple as you can read on the web-page:

- If you ever have installed PRS+ just extract the ZIP-file onto your reader and restart. You can do this with LINUX, MAX OSX, WIN, ...

- It's not necessary to uninstall PRS+ whatever version you have. Just copy the installer-folder onto your reader and reastart.

- If you have never installed PRS+ or uninstalled it with the uninstaller you have to do a first complete installation. This has to be done in WIN. Linux does not work cause of the EXE-file and/or proper recognition of the right USB-port.

Background information:

The first installation makes (a) a small 'punch' into the original SONY software to make PRS+ working which is (b) copied additionally onto the reader. The main part is copied into the invisble part of the memory, parts on the visible part. Without this 'punch' PRS+ cannot work.

Consequences:

You need a first install to open the sony firmware for PRS+ at least one time (making this 'punch').
You need of course PRS+ which will be installed with the installer at the first install.
For future updates you just have to renew PRS+ with the installer folder and restart for installation.
You can use for future updates the EXE-installer. No problem - it knows what to do...
PRS+ (and of course the ZORK-edition which is my personal version of PRS+) is no new firmware but an addon.

ZORK-Edition:

The 350 differs from the 650 that kind that the 350-version is most of the time newer. That's NOT the case now. Both are up to date and shoud(hopefully) work the same way.

Because I just can test it on my 350, the 650-version is a 'blind-flight'. Feedbacks for recent versions speek positive.

Last edited by Analogus; 04-28-2012 at 06:31 AM.
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2012, 09:08 AM   #3678
imageraw
Connoisseur

Analogus thanks tons for explaning it again something weird happened. It worked. I then changed fonts to can't remember, maybe "Custom 1" from Sony fonts, and the reader booted itself. The thing is that it keep on booting and re-booting, and never gets to the desktop. I tried to reset it, flash it, it won't work. The only thing that really work is: if I connect it to a PC, wait for it to be recognised as hard drive + disconnect it, it works, though PRS+ is no longer there. In fact, it is there, but the device ignores it, and works on the original sony settings....

any idea?
Old 04-28-2012, 09:12 AM   #3679
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I try to reproduce it!

Try to remember what you've done. Did you alter fonts in 'additional options' or in 'Text Format Options'?

There should never be a reason the reader restarts itself more than one time...

Question: how did you 'flash' the reader? With the 'normal' PRS+?

Last edited by Analogus; 04-28-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:22 AM   #3680
imageraw
Connoisseur

additional options
Advert
Old 04-28-2012, 09:39 AM   #3681
Analogus
Fanatic

Please delete one file:
\database\system\PRSPlus\prsp.sh

Besides: if you plug the reader to the USB-port and reboot you are in the 'emergency-mode' without PRS+.

A.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:41 AM   #3682
imageraw
Connoisseur

"Question: how did you 'flash' the reader? With the 'normal' PRS+?"

can't really say...after copying and pasting the Zork PRS+ folder onto the reader hd, I disconnected it + clicked on shutdown + restarted. After that I changed the fonts, and it started going bananas...now I can't restart it at all: the moment I click on shutdown, it keeps booting and rebooting itself non-stop...

is there a way of starting from scratch? that is, re-installing the original Sony OS and taking it from there?
Old 04-28-2012, 09:46 AM   #3683
imageraw
Connoisseur

now it works
shall I just leave it at that without that \database\system\PRSPlus\prsp.sh file?
Old 04-28-2012, 09:48 AM   #3684
Analogus
Fanatic

Normally yes. You are the first suffering this problems...

Take the brute way and use the uninstaller. This should revert to the original -Sony-Firmware.
Uninstaller for 650

A.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:51 AM   #3685
imageraw
Connoisseur

OK. I'll do that Monday or Tuesday when I'm back home - at a library now and don't have administrator privilege to run programs. Will then re-install it again and report back. Thank you for your kind help and have a nice weekend!
Old 04-28-2012, 09:52 AM   #3686
Analogus
Fanatic

OK, that's fine (that reader works again)!!!

I think there went something wrong with the System-Font and thus restart is looping.

I would the reader leave as it is and don't use the option for changing System-Font any more.

Make a new empty \database\system\PRSPlus\[B]prsp.sh
This file is not necessary for PRS+ but gives some additional options. It is used in the ZORK-Edition for changing system-fonts and changing LRF-fonts.

A.

PS: I would not use the uninstaller now. It does not seeem to be necessary. Have a nice weekend

PPS: In the evening there will be a new version for the 650. Try ths version then.

Last edited by Analogus; 04-28-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:06 AM   #3687
imageraw
Connoisseur

you mean a new PRS+ version or a new Zork version? (sorry I'm getting confused!)

anyway, Zork looks awesome, well-done! I particularly like that I can tap on the black band on the top to switch back.

on a slightly separate/much more trivial note (plz bear with me): I chose 3 icons for the reader's desktop: periodicals, all notes, and browse folders. I can't figure out how to get the calendar or where to recall it from. It doesn't seem to be in "apps"...unless it's not available in the Zork edition?
Old 04-28-2012, 10:15 AM   #3688
Analogus
Fanatic

Both. Let it as it is. There is a small bug in the function for altering system-fonts which will be removed in the next update in the evening. You just have to do the thing with the installer-folder...

Calender should be usable as (1) separate icon you can assign over PRS+ options --> Menu Customizer --> Slot N --> Calendar

or (2) you choose the way above explained not 'Calendar' but 'More'. Calendar is then listet under this menu-point you open in home-menu.

The 'tap on the black bar' - funtion was the reason I started to produce my own version ;-)

A.

PS: to reduce your confusion: ZORK-Edition is a custom-made PRS+ version. You can use one or the other. You can toggle quick with reinstalling it with the 'installer-folder-thing'.
ZORK-Edition is a name I gave this PRS+ version because ZORK is the only game I did not remove from the official PRS+.

Last edited by Analogus; 04-28-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:28 AM   #3689
imageraw
Connoisseur

absolutely brillian! thank you again
Old 04-29-2012, 05:13 PM   #3690
Analogus
Fanatic

Question to developers:

I want automatically call a function when opening a book. How to manage it?

More infos:

I made a function that switches the PAGE LAYOUT (2x2, 3x2, ...) you can pre-choose in options. I want to call this functions whenever a book is opened automatically.
Where should I write this function to be called when a book is opened?

Thanks!