Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-21-2008, 03:36 PM   #16
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Hooray for MobileRead and its awesome knowledgeable HELPFUL people!!!!
yes, absolutely !!!!!
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:39 PM   #17
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I am SO pleased to hear you got it working!!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2008, 03:45 PM   #18
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
I am SO pleased to hear you got it working!!
oh boy, me too, you have no idea ! i think i'm going to stay away from rtf files from now on.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:12 PM   #19
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Congratulations
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 04:22 PM   #20
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Congratulations
really, thank you again. i don't know what i would have done without your help.
Advert
Old 12-21-2008, 05:14 PM   #21
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Glad you are all fixed up!!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 05:15 PM   #22
kaas
Muncher of ebooks
kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Pocketbook 360
I am glad you got it working again!
with my 505 I did not like two things, one of them being the same which caused you issues:

1st: no mobi support
2nd: very buggy with larger files/ collections

I think that the software is just not quite as stable as it should be...
kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 05:19 PM   #23
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaas View Post
I am glad you got it working again!
with my 505 I did not like two things, one of them being the same which caused you issues:

1st: no mobi support
2nd: very buggy with larger files/ collections

I think that the software is just not quite as stable as it should be...
well, i don't like mobi format very much so i don't care about that, in fact it is the epub support which made me interested in sony to begin with. but i do hope the firmware is not unstable because that can be really annoying !! my heart nearly stopped this afternoon when the 700 froze. to be fair, i gave it first a 20mo rtf file to chew on then a 12mo file... it didn't crash on the 20mo file but maybe the whole experience was too much for it.

anyway i'll remember that and try not to put too many / too large files. how many is too many, in your opinion ? currently i have 70-something, and it seems okay (except for that really big one), but i can easily anticipate having many more than that.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:24 PM   #24
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Glad you got it working again, but here's an extra hug, just in case.

So is the sidelight annoying, now that you have it? Or rather, is it impairing the visibility of the screen?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 05:24 PM   #25
kaas
Muncher of ebooks
kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.

my 505 started having problems with more than 92 files or if I tried to add larger files

I had to do a restart like you once- nearly gave me a heart attack!
as for mobi, I don't care one way or the other, except that most books are available in mobi and I am terrible at waiting...

cheers,

le petit fromage

Last edited by kaas; 12-21-2008 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:33 PM   #26
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Glad you got it working again, but here's an extra hug, just in case.

So is the sidelight annoying, now that you have it? Or rather, is it impairing the visibility of the screen?
thanks for the hug. i'm taking all i can get today.

i don't like the sidelight at all, but then i don't like lit screens for reading, regardless the direction the light comes from. so i turned it on to look at it a few seconds, but that is all. i don't use it to read. looking at igorsk's photos of the dismantled 700 (he posted a thread) the top (touch) screen seems to be a bit smoky coloured ; i don't know whether this is inevitable. but also there is a space between that screen and the eink. i think both of those are problematic. however, having said that, the screen is still perfectly good to read. i think it suffers from side-by-side comparison with the 505 / cybook, but who reads with two liseuses in front of them ? if you just look at it alone, objectively, it's quite acceptable.

Quote:
my 505 started having problems with more than 92 files or if I tried to add larger files

I had to do a restart like you once- nearly gave me a heart attack!
as for mobi, I don't care one way or the other, except that most books are available in mobi and I am terrible in waiting...

cheers,

le petit fromage
hm, more than 92 ? that's not very many. i'll have to pay attention to how many i put on there and see if i notice some trouble. the 700 has a faster processor and more memory so perhaps it will handle larger collections better. let's hope !

i almost had a heart attack too this afternoon, i know what you mean.

for the mobi files... when i buy a drm book i try to buy it in lit and then convert it, usually commercial books are available in that format as well, and lit books have a better structure for archiving / formatting / conversion purposes. only once or twice i've found a book i really wanted which was only available in mobi, but anyway, mobi can be converted too.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:38 PM   #27
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
hm, more than 92 ? that's not very many. i'll have to pay attention to how many i put on there and see if i notice some trouble. the 700 has a faster processor and more memory so perhaps it will handle larger collections better. let's hope !
I have 161 on my 505 at present and it's not struggling. Of those probably about a dozen are on SD card.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 05:40 PM   #28
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
I have 161 on my 505 at present and it's not struggling. Of those probably about a dozen are on SD card.
that sounds better ! i don't have any memory cards for the moment (i heard it drains the battery, so i think i'll wait and see how i do using just the internal memory) but i do plan on adding more books so i'll let you know how it handles them.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:42 PM   #29
kaas
Muncher of ebooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
mobi can be converted too.
i have to admit that I once looked over the dedrm thread, searched for the code (and found it) but was to lazy to do anything further or use the console for converting...

I am awaiting the kindle 2 and will import it then for myself. For my girlfriend I will buy a gen3 because of the dictionary support (she is learning english...)

cheers,
kaas

p.s.: don't forget to edit your profile! you haven't added the 700 to it...
Old 12-21-2008, 05:48 PM   #30
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
i have to admit that I once looked over the dedrm thread, searched for the code (and found it) but was to lazy to do anything further or use the console for converting...

I am awaiting the kindle 2 and will import it then for myself, while my girlfriend will get a gen3 as a present

cheers,
kaas

p.s.: don't forget to edit your profile! you haven't added the 700 to it...
i've started using calibre for conversion and it's fairly smooth. the very few mobi conversions i've done have gone well (except for that damned dictionary... still have to figure out a way to convert that... ). i really try to avoid mobi to be honest so i mostly convert lit, and that is really simple... when i was making books for my eb1150 it was really a conversion in 1 click ! now it's a bit more complicated but not too bad still. and it generally gives good results. i recommend it.

you are right, must edit my profile as well !