Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-28-2012, 05:28 PM   #1
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Using a dummy Kobo account

I use a dummy Kobo account for my Glo and the reasons I do so are:

- no option to sync books individually or at all with the Kobo Desktop App

- no option to upgrade Kobo software - which is forced on you, just like the books

How I do it is to use my original Kobo account as the book buying account, but setting my Glo to another Kobo account which I don't ever use to buy anything with (therefore a 'dummy account')

This means that I don't download Kepubs.

All my Epub books, irrespective of where I bought them, after purchase or free, are defaulted into my Sony Reader for PC account, opened to check for issues, and then imported into Calibre and cleaned.

When I require the book I then sideload it onto either the main memory or the SD card of the Glo (or send it to one of my other devices).

Using wifi or any of the other features is not a problem with this dummy account - I am just not compelled to download kepubs that I don't want on my device.

I haven't bothered authorising Adobe - I can't see the need because I sideload cleaned books, and Adobe adds nothing to my usage.

In fact I don't open the ADE desktop account at all, there's no need because I use the Sony Reader for PC and it works well enough as the holding store prior to import to Calibre.

I read quite a number of non-fiction ebooks which I highlight and annotate and then subsequently copy out of the books and into another file, therefore ensuring retention should anything happen to that version of my book. (Calibre has a trial feature now whereby you can copy the highlights and annotations into the Metadata section of the book info.)

Well, that's what I do ..... who else uses a dummy Kobo account and what do you use it for and why?
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
I find that when I buy Adobe DRM'd books, or borrow them from the library, it is useful to have ADE because the downloaded acsm filetype opens ADE and downloads the book automatically. In the case of a library book, ADE also lets you return the book early when you finish reading it.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2012, 03:41 AM   #3
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Oh yep, if you use the Kobo to read library books then definitely you'd need the ADE sign on.

I read my library books on my BB Playbook via the Overdrive App. Excellent!!! And it does early returns as well.

I've just downloaded Windows 8 for Dummies from my local library and it's wonderful to read in colour and on the 7 inch screen.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:09 AM   #4
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I use ADE instead of Sony Reader for PC. Aside of that, I do exactly the same.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:00 AM   #5
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
I do the same with epubs and am starting to think it'll be worth setting myself up a dummy account for my glo as then I can properly control what goes on there!
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert