Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-27-2012, 08:42 PM   #1
TuxedoBass
TuxedoBass began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire - maybe
Kindle Fire Questions

Total n00b here for things like this e-reader. F'rinstance - I have my VCR still blinking 12:00.

I totally apologize for just jumping in like this, cold, and asking questions for my first post.

However - I currently use and like my ASUS Eee-PC (Win7) and I have several desktop 'puters with XP-Pro. I also have (don't laugh) a Sony Palm Cliè with ISilo running the OS 5.0 .

Now - I love the Cliè dearly as it has the whole reference library in it that I need daily. If it dies, I guess I have to too - it's that important to me.

Today I went and saw the Fire and am impressed by it's smallness and full color. But the salesman couldn't answer my question if I could or could not enter my reference library into it.

I saw that the Fire has a mini-USB and I bet I can sync it with my desktop or my netbook too - right?.

Since I can run that library on everything I now own - I'm hoping I can start using the Kindle Fire as a larger (not by much) Palm-type device. My Palm won't last forever and they don't make them any more. I find the netbook is a little clumsy to try to use it as a PDA, and that's why I'm looking for greener pastures.

One last thing: I have also been able to install that library after the whole CD-ROM was copied onto a USB stick, so I could get it into the Eee-PC which has no optical drive.

TIA for anyone who understands my question and can actually help me.
TuxedoBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:53 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
So if I understand correctly you want to use the Fire to read material that's in iSilo pdb format?

iSilo 4 Android (you would sideload this program onto the Fire) Note iSilo for Android is a $20 license...
http://store.isilo.com/index.php?Act...temID=SNIS50AN
http://www.isilo.com/download/iSiloAnd.htm

http://www.isilo.com/support/howto/A...ToCardWin7.php
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2012, 09:02 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
See Sideloading Non-Amazon Apps for how to install iSilo™ 6.04 for Android™ on the Fire.

Based on the web page that AnemicOak linked to, this should work, but hopefully someone who has actually used the app will respond here.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
You can also read the reviews of the app here...
https://market.android.com/details?i...pp.iSilo&hl=en
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:33 AM   #5
TuxedoBass

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
So if I understand correctly you want to use the Fire to read material that's in iSilo pdb format?

iSilo 4 Android (you would sideload this program onto the Fire) Note iSilo for Android is a $20 license...
http://store.isilo.com/index.php?Act...temID=SNIS50AN
http://www.isilo.com/download/iSiloAnd.htm

http://www.isilo.com/support/howto/A...ToCardWin7.php
That's one of my potential options - thanks for the response.

I feel iSilo may not be the best 'vehicle' in which to use the library I also use in my Windows 'puters though. I know there's a loss of operational overhead with iSilo, so that may be a good reason to NOT use it.

If my netbook had a touch screen, this would all be academic at best, but using the Palm surely spoiled me for using that mechanism.

I like to be able to touch the screen and go, whereas using a mouse or cursor keys is a waste of time and very clumsy I feel. That's why I like the Palm format so much. I just want to stay with that usability factor in the Fire.

When using the library, I need to be able to switch back and forth rapidly and copy/paste compiled material into a notepad of some sort to later print out the data - the Palm allows this very easily in my 'sync-to-desktop'.

Having WIFI on the FIRE will maybe allow me to send those clippings to a networked printer in my home after classes --- right?
Advert
Old 03-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxedoBass View Post
When using the library, I need to be able to switch back and forth rapidly and copy/paste compiled material into a notepad of some sort to later print out the data - the Palm allows this very easily in my 'sync-to-desktop'.

Having WIFI on the FIRE will maybe allow me to send those clippings to a networked printer in my home after classes --- right?
I don't know if there is an equivalent to 'sync-to-desktop' for android. There are several Fire-compatible print apps in the Amazon app store though.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:32 AM   #7
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Rather than tieing yourself to the resources that you have on your Palm I would recommend looking at the functions that the software fills and looking at if there are native apps that will solve the same problem that the palm software fills. For example do not get to caught up with an office suite of software on a palm since there are fine office suites that can run on a fire. I would recommend that you look for software on the fire that will replace that of the palm.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:48 AM   #8
TuxedoBass

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Rather than tieing yourself to the resources that you have on your Palm I would recommend looking at the functions that the software fills and looking at if there are native apps that will solve the same problem that the palm software fills. For example do not get to caught up with an office suite of software on a palm since there are fine office suites that can run on a fire. I would recommend that you look for software on the fire that will replace that of the palm.
Makes sense.

I wonder what native software is in Windows that runs the application though. Could there be software in the library itself on the CD-RM that is not using Windows systems?

If so - how can I detect it? I have electronically signed the EULA to not disassemble the proprietary data in the CD-ROM, so I may not be able to view the source.