Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-01-2012, 05:26 PM   #16
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
eink is outdated technology .....it has its fans no doubt
Bwah-ha-ha. I want eink posters hanging on the wall (as suggested by someone elsewhere). And you'll see eink price tags on shelves in shops - I bet you don't see LCD ones.

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:15 PM   #17
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadmus View Post
clearly. the release dates have all passed and the archived twitter posts hind ant bigger and better things.
it was NEVER a real product. it was never CONCEIVED as a real product its was an ART STUDENT'S class project to show their abilities using that particular rendering programs etc.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2012, 11:15 AM   #18
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charybdis View Post
of course there is a market for an E-Ink tablet, look at the poll above.

Because E-Ink is easier for your eyes. I dont care about the refresh rate.
You don't care about refresh rate .. but engineers do. It's a design factor my friend. It's a limitation, even if you don't care.

I believe engineers are working on a eink device that can provide color and a similar experience to what you just mentioned, but it is not ready for the market yet, at least, there is nothing like that in USA.

Also, not so sure we can use the term "tablet" here. That word "tablet" is usually associated with LCD and touch screens. I would say, an "eink device".

Anyway, based on the current trend and how market is moving, I see more companies working on LCD devices than eink ones. Just look at Amazon and Kindle Fire. People want an all around entertainment device and so far, LCD is the type of technology that can deliver that.

However, I do agree with you. It would be fantastic if we can get a true eink device, like Kindle DXG? that uses eink and provides a color experience with fast refresh rate.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:54 AM   #19
cadmus
cadmus is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
eink is outdated technology .....it has its fans no doubt
If it is out dated where is the replacement? I see no alternative that is equally kind to the health of the eyes and see no alternative that conserves battery life better. Please, if you know of a replacement tell me.

I hate LCD screens. They hurt my eyes. I spend all day reading on LCD screens or looking under microscopes. I am in pain. the eInk does not hurt my head. I realize color is nice and useful. especially for graphs. Heck, I have 9 colors of pens in my pocket, i am a fan of color and highlights. Even flashy pictures and videos of kittens on youtube that need realtime refresh rates. (that was a joke i know there are legitimate needs for video) But just to have something more photo-ergonomic like my sony t1 is worth having no color. Especilay when i have to read >400 pages of PDFs a day for work. I really would LOVE a eink tablet even if it did have a slow regeneration speed and had no color.

Also, the battery life on the eink is more useable. I realize some people can charge up every day but in the summer i am working in the field for weeks at a time and when i vacation i am away from electricity for months at a time. LCD screens can not do that. Especially the fire. If you have ever lived on a sailboat, a cabin, a tent or an RV you will find that LCDs suck energy fast. Especially in dark wet places like alaska where solar panels don't work well. A eink laptop or tablet would be great.

I find this to be the case with many products on the market, they assume you live a domesticated 3rd world life. Batteries for everything are short lived and are proprietary. I shoot Pentax because they are the only SLRs to still run on AA, which i can get in any shop in any country if need be. And the rechargeable AAs are just as good as the $80 proprietary canikon batteries. off point, but it adds to the fact that technology assumes we all live indoors on the grid and only vacation to places on the grid. And that, i feel is the primary reason of an ereader: travel. I can not take 74 taxonomic keys, 150 scientific journal articles, 20 maps, 5 bus schedules a spanish dictionary and some fun reading on a trip. But i can fit it on my t1 or a tablet. If i lived indoors i would use a book. So battery life is important and LCD screens have not come close to eInk. eInk is not outdated.

I want an eInk tablet!!!!!

Last edited by cadmus; 02-20-2012 at 02:59 PM.
cadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:56 AM   #20
cadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
it was NEVER a real product. it was never CONCEIVED as a real product its was an ART STUDENT'S class project to show their abilities using that particular rendering programs etc.
I figured it was not for real.
if they had not had the uni-color ones i would have believed it.
Advert
Old 02-20-2012, 12:11 PM   #21
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
If it is out dated where is the replacement? I see no alternative that is equally kind on to the health of the eyes and see no alternative that conserves battery life better. Please, if you know of a replacement tell me.

I hate LCD screens. They hurt my eyes. I spend all day reading on LCD screens or looking under microscopes. I am in pain. the eInk does not hurt my head. I realize color is nice and useful. especially for graphs. Heck, I have 9 colors of pens in my pocket, i am a fan of color and highlights. Even flashy pictures and videos of kittens on youtube that need realtime refresh rates. (that was a joke i know there are legitimate needs for video) But just to have something more photo-ergonomic like my sony t1 is worth having no color. Especilay when i have to read >400 pages of PDFs a day for work. I really would LOVE a eink tablet even if it did have a slow regeneration speed and had not color.

Also, the battery life on the eink is more useable. I realize some people can charge up every day but in the summer i am working in the field for weeks at a time and when i vacation i am away from electricity for months at a time. LCD screens can not do that. Especially the fire. If you have ever lived on a sailboat, a cabin, a tent or an RV you will find that LCDs suck energy fast. Especially in dark wet places like alaska where solar panels don't work well. A eink laptop or tablet would be great.

I find this to be the case with many products on the market, they assume you live a domesticated 3rd world life. Batteries for everything are short lived and are proprietary. I shoot Pentax because they are the only SLRs to still run on AA, which i can get in any shop in any country if need be. And the rechargeable AAs are just as good as the $80 proprietary canikon batteries. off point, but it adds to the fact that technology assumes we all live indoors on the grid and only vacation to places on the grid. And that, i feel is the primary reason of an ereader: travel. I can not take 74 taxonomic keys, 150 scientific journal articles, 20 maps, 5 bus schedules a spanish dictionary and some fun reading on a trip. But i can fit it on my t1 or a tablet. If i lived indoors i would use a book. So battery life is important and LCD screens have not come close to eInk. eInk is not outdated.

I want an eInk tablet!!!!!
Well said that man (or woman)!

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:43 PM   #22
cadmus

Thanks Andrew.

Ohh. I forgot to mention bright sunlight. Using lcd screens in direct sunlight is a pain. Too dim. e-ink, not a problem. where is the replacement for that, as well?

Pete

Last edited by cadmus; 02-21-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:05 PM   #23
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Actually, LCD will disappear before e-ink. TVs are already switching to OLED. I am still hoping for a technology that combines the best of both worlds. But so far Mirasol seems to be a disappointment.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:08 PM   #24
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
But so far Mirasol seems to be a disappointment.
Interesting,

Why you say that? I honestly have not played with any Mirasol device's yet.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:17 PM   #25
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
I shoot Pentax because they are the only SLRs to still run on AA, which i can get in any shop in any country if need be. And the rechargeable AAs are just as good as the $80 proprietary canikon batteries.

A little bit off topic, and amateur photographer here, with a Canon t2i.

The reasons why some devices use something different than AA batteries is also because power consumption. You'll need a bunch of AA batteries so you can provide the same amount of "juice" the camera needs.

You're also assuming people can get rechargeable batteries anywhere, but that's not the case. If I travel to Colombia and I'm in a remote city or beach, chances are I won't find a place that sell AA rechargeable batteries , only regular ones. And the main difference between proprietary batteries and rechargeable AA (besides the power they can or cannot deliver) is basically the form factor, because still you need to recharge those no matter what. Proprietary batteries are usually smaller and lighter which gives more comfort when holding a device.

I still have my Canon S2 with me, which uses AA, but that does not alter the fact that I need to recharge them no matter what. At some point I was carrying 8 batteries with me all the time (4 on camera, 4 inside my pocket) which was very annoying, not to mention it takes longer to replace when they are dead, making you more likely to miss a good shoot during that replacement process.

And more a personal preference than anything else, but I prefer Canon or Nikon over Pentax, always

Last edited by jocampo; 02-22-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:43 AM   #26
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Interesting,

Why you say that? I honestly have not played with any Mirasol device's yet.
None of the people who bought the Kyobo (you can find the threads in the Android section). were really happy with the device. And the number of comparison pictures (to LCD and e-ink) were not what I expected. Perhaps they can do it better for the second generation, I will keep watching this, though.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:20 AM   #27
zinj
Connoisseur
zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Irex DR800SG, Kyobo Mirasol Reader, 2 Pocketbook Ultras
Quote:
None of the people who bought the Kyobo (you can find the threads in the Android section). were really happy with the device. And the number of comparison pictures (to LCD and e-ink) were not what I expected. Perhaps they can do it better for the second generation, I will keep watching this, though.
Not true. I'm happing with the mirasol display in my Kyobo reader. It is what I expected, I knew it's not meant as a replacement to LCD technology. It's easy on the eyes in the brightest sunlight and the refresh is fast enough that video is actually watchable. What I'm not happy about are some of the bugs in Kyobo's implementation of a reader (and I'd still love to root the device and get to the android underneath).
zinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:40 AM   #28
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinj View Post
Not true. I'm happing with the mirasol display in my Kyobo reader. It is what I expected, I knew it's not meant as a replacement to LCD technology. It's easy on the eyes in the brightest sunlight and the refresh is fast enough that video is actually watchable. What I'm not happy about are some of the bugs in Kyobo's implementation of a reader (and I'd still love to root the device and get to the android underneath).
Glad to hear you like it. Didn't appear to be the case from your previous comments. But why shouldn't it be a LCD replacement ? And I think you are the one who mentioned you always have to keep the backlight on? I found that most disappointing of all .
Old 02-23-2012, 08:32 PM   #29
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
I would like to see. Can you please share the links if you don't mind?

I have great expectation for Mirasol devices as well.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #30
HansTWN
Wizard

Here you go.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ighlight=Kyobo
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ighlight=Kyobo

Yes, of course, a lot of the problems reported were software issues (and this is compounded by the fact that no hackers have turned their attention to these devices and thus you cannot install regular Android ROMs). But I was more concerned about the screen: performance, color saturation, need for backlighting for good visibility, viewing angles, etc.