Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 09-20-2011, 04:39 PM   #1
ktwombley
Connoisseur
ktwombley began at the beginning.

Device: pocket edge
If you have installed Market and it works, post here

Lots of people have installed the market and other google apps.

I haven't seen anyone say that the market works.

So, please, to have it all in one place, please post here if you have:

1. Installed the google apps
2. Tested the market
3. Actually used the market to find, download, and install an app.

If it worked, please let us know which method you used.

I'm working on a possible solution, but if people are already getting this to work then I won't bother
ktwombley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:37 PM   #2
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
One can get Google Apps with Ermine 1.xxx.
But not all of them are going to work, e.g., Market, Gtalk, text-to-speech, for various reasons.
And the main one being they want cell connection.
Market is a special case as it wants your device to be provisioned by cell carrier.
So, people who have a second Android phone already provisioned by the carrier can get their Market working by moving their data from the phone to the PE/EE.
As I don't have the second Android device I use emulator method. It has its cons and pros:
con - it's two-step process as oppose to one.
pros - I always have backup; many apps recently want to be installed on SD card and it doesn't work for eDGes. So, one needs two-step process anyway to be able to fix that. And with direct access to Market it's impossible to catch the app, it just fails to be installed and disappears from the device.
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2011, 10:58 PM   #3
bunodosoma
Connoisseur
bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PE,Novel,Nook Color
I used the tried and true - transfer data from 2nd android device that has market access to PE. I'm running ermine 0.9. Old market works well and many downloads working. Ptsenter's way provides access to app's which are confused by the PE's strange internal memory setup. Also app backup off device helps if you unroot since market seems to lose track of your apps unlike amazon app store. A way that avoids a tedious workaround would be much welcomed. Remember there's a whole new wave of PE users from Woot to consider. And while you're at it (or anyone else interested?) Get the PE to boot and run off a sd card so less chance of bricking.
bunodosoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:25 AM   #4
ktwombley
Connoisseur

Can you summarize ptsenter's method?

And just to confirm, you used something like titanium backup to copy market onto your edge, and then it works from there?

Or are you talking about using market on another device and transferring apks over?
Old 09-21-2011, 10:32 AM   #5
Jeff Butler
Jeff Butler began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
So does the phone that you're going to pull the Market stuff off of have to be rooted? I'm not thrilled about rooting my warrantee covered Sprint EVO. I've heard it will void my warrantee...

Thanks
Jeff
Jeff Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2011, 10:39 AM   #6
ktwombley
Connoisseur

I have a method which does not require another rooted device. It is pretty involved, though.

I hesitate to post it because I want to revert my edge to stock and try again just to make sure it works.

The sucky thing is that I'm at work right now, and our wifi doesn't allow google talk, so I won't be able to verify that it's working properly until I go home.

I am trying to get the edge to support ad hoc networks so I can wifi tether from my droid, but so far I'm not having any luck.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:51 AM   #7
tekknogenius
Groupie
tekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocket Edge
I have the market working and other google apps, but I used the android phone titanium backup method. I have the Sprint TP2, a windows mobile phone which can run Android off the SD card. The nice thing about this setup is that I can create multiple versions of android with different accounts so that I can get the market and google apps up for each of the PE's I have for my kids.
tekknogenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:42 PM   #8
ktwombley
Connoisseur

If you use the titanium backup method, does http://market.android.com see your edge and other android device as two separate devices? I know in your case it doesn't matter since you can create new ones easily. Just curious.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:46 PM   #9
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktwombley View Post
I am trying to get the edge to support ad hoc networks so I can wifi tether from my droid, but so far I'm not having any luck.
Search ZT-180 Adhoc Switcher - it's reported to work on PE, but I'm too lazy to test it myself.

Regarding emulator's method:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=market&page=5
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:53 PM   #10
tekknogenius
Groupie
tekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktwombley View Post
If you use the titanium backup method, does http://market.android.com see your edge and other android device as two separate devices? I know in your case it doesn't matter since you can create new ones easily. Just curious.
The market shows what's installed on both devices iirc. There does not seem to be an issue with it thus far. I use the market on both with no problems.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:54 PM   #11
tekknogenius
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsenter View Post
Search ZT-180 Adhoc Switcher - it's reported to work on PE, but I'm too lazy to test it myself.

Regarding emulator's method:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=market&page=5
Yes ZT-180 Adhoc Switcher works on the PE. I use it all the time to tether to my phone. It's a must if you're connecting to an Adhoc netwok, not required for regular access points.

The only issue with ZT-180 Adhoc Switcher is that it only remembers the one Adhoc network. If you want to connect to another, then you must overwrite the existing one. I wish it would keep a list instead. Oh well, other than that minor grievance it works great.

Last edited by tekknogenius; 09-21-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:38 PM   #12
MasterTec
Connoisseur
MasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: enTourage eDGe Pocket
I recently purchased the LG Optimus V phone (thank GOD my AT&T contract finally ran out!) and was able to use the Titanium method to get market working on my PE.

1> I rooted my PE with Z4root and installed Titanium Backup Free.
2> I rooted my LG Optimus V (a bit more complicated as Z4 didn't do the trick - it required the "gingerbreak" method) and installed Titanium Backup Free.
3> I used Titanium Backup Free to back up Market and a couple other GApps from my phone onto its SD card.
4> I powered off the phone and used a SDCard USB reader to read the SDCard on my PE.
5> I restored the apps from the SDCard to the PE using the Titanium Backup Free on the PE.
6> I made a build.prop (IIRC) tweak per the instructions.
7> I shut down the PE.
8> I reinstalled the SD Card back into my phone and powered it up making sure it all still worked normally.
9> I powered up the PE and made sure Market works (it does!)
10> Yay me!

The only downside is that now Google Market thinks my phone is a PE and will only show (and install) apps that it feels is compatible with the PE.. it says "Edge Jr Unknown device". Maybe it's just a setting somewhere I'll have to find I just haven't messed with it much yet.

Last edited by MasterTec; 09-21-2011 at 11:45 PM.
MasterTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:03 PM   #13
tarvoke
Dog Dentist
tarvoke began at the beginning.

Device: PE, GT540, VM670, GOGHVMU, Qualcomm 1600
basically did the same steps as MasterTec, but set my build.prop to the fingerprint same as my Optimus V (rather than the mahi mahi one)

then it gets a little murky and much less satisfying an explanation:

at first, gmail and gvoice worked but market and gtalk did not. this may have been because I had installed ermine+gapps rather than vanilla ermine?

using sqlite editor to compare my phone's dbs and the PE's dbs, adding records here and there, did not help either. finally did a re-restore of gtalk and google framework. somehow at this point both talk and market work.

glad it's finally working, but like I said, not satisfying at all - what if I needed to replicate in future?!

so far, unlike MasterTec, market still shows me as having 2 LG phones (V and gt540) -- but also does not show a 3rd device for the PE.
tarvoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:02 PM   #14
stevesr0
Connoisseur
stevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
I don't have an Android cellphone so I have used the emulator method (same one posted by netrobot, which is in the archive). It was fairly simple on my computer (running Debian). I have used the 1.6 emulator because that runs faster; I found that one of the things that slows down the 2.2 emulator is the audio. When I disabled it, the emulator stopped continuously demanding 98% of CPU (went down to 20s-30s% on my 7 yr old Athlon laptop with 2 gb of RAM).

I have been able to download an apk. Since it is an emulator, the apk becomes a part of the overall image file. To transfer it to the PE, one has to use a trick - uploading it from the emulator results in a discrete .apk file. You then download the file from DropBox to the PE and you can install it.

I wonder if the emulator files that are equivalents of the ones from a real Android cell phone that have been successfully used to register AND DOWNLOAD apps from the Android Market were sent to DropBox, they could be transferred to the PE and used instead.

This would be very nice for those of us without other Android devices.

Steve
stevesr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:23 PM   #15
jamina1
Connoisseur
jamina1 began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket eDGe
Finally have this working today!

I used emusan's tutorial but I did not modify the build.prop and the market would load but not download. Google Talk would fail to connect if I tried.

I finally modified the build.prop a couple of times. I didn't get an acceptible range of available apps until I used emusan's suggested passion/mahimahi build.fingerprint line.

Android Market still reports a lot of things aren't compatible, but things like netflix, etc are available. Hulu app as well.
jamina1 is offline   Reply With Quote