Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-16-2010, 09:50 PM   #46
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I don't know. My finger rests on the button. When I want to turn the page I apply a little pressure. I have to do more to swipe then I do to push. I fail to see how that is a better method. Then again, I don't like touch screens so I am not likely to understand the love anyway.(shrugs)
My arthritic hands and I have an agreement. I don't ask them to push a lot of buttons and they don't punish me. I could read the Sony 505 for maybe thirty minutes before the pain in my thumb intruded in my reading and I had to change how I held it. My PocketPro has a handy jog wheel on the side that lets me turn pages without pushing a button. With my 650, I can disappear into a book and emerge at the end on speaking terms with my hands. Touchscreen is the only way to go for me, but with 200 books on my reader, I've never once thought that I had to buy something, right now, if only I had 3G. It's good that there's a broad array of devices to satisfy our differing requirements.

As for ease of use, I helped my computer phobic 83 year old mother pick a reader this fall. She heard that I could check out library books with mine and was sold. I handed her my Sony and she was immediately able to navigate from the home page into a book that interested her. Ten seconds to show her how to make the font bigger, turn the page, and navigate back to the home page and she was set. I didn't get my reader back until she had one of her own. It took a few days to get her set up with a library account and comfortable with browsing their library, checking out a book, and loading it on her reader, but she was able to master it during her visit and is still doing it now.

I took her to see the Nook and Kobo in the name of completeness. It took less than a minute for her to get lost in the Nook's menus, and the idea that her selections on the LCD screen were reflected on the epaper was very difficult for her. The Kobo was also difficult for her, as she found it difficult to navigate the menus.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruz, cruz reader, ereader