Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-15-2010, 11:03 PM   #1
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Unhappy ADE does not recognize iRex DR800SG in OSX

Just thought I would let you all know that ADE does not recognize the DR800SG in OSX. It works perfectly fine in windows.

This matters because it means you can't use OSX to transfer library books to your DR800SG. I tried copying them by hand and it does not recognize the license.

If anyone has successfully used OSX to copy an eBook from the library to their DR, please post a howto?

[SOLUTION]: Plug in the DR800SG *before* starting ADE and it will work fine. May not work with the new firmware though.

(Could a mod mark this solved?)

Last edited by nikkie; 05-16-2010 at 08:51 PM.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 01:15 PM   #2
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
I'm not having any problems transferring books to my DR800SG with ADE 1.7.2 (or 1.7.1 before that) using Mac 10.6.3.

I do have to temporarily stick my Sony Reader Library software in the trash if I want to download DRM-enabled files with ADE, but that's understandable, since Sony's software takes over all ADE functions (including library loans) on Mac.

I don't do anything else special. I just plug in my reader and start ADE. "IREX DR800SG-US" appears at the bottom of the Bookshelves list. After several seconds, it populates its shelf with the contents of my reader, and I drag and drop the books I want to add into its bookshelf .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot1.png
Views:	276
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	51635  
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 04:02 PM   #3
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Weird. I'm using version 1.7.2 also. And I don't have the Sony software installed. I wonder why it's not populating? Works perfectly fine in Windows.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:27 PM   #4
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

I habitually connect the reader before opening ADE. This evening, I connected the reader while ADE was already open, and the device was not detected until I quit and re-opened the application. Does that mirror the behavior you're seeing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekchick View Post
I'm not having any problems transferring books to my DR800SG with ADE
Also, let me expand the above statement: I'm not having any problems transferring books, but I just realized that I cannot open library loans with the Beta 2 firmware. The books seem to transfer normally, but they generate an error about invalid or expired license when I try to open them on the DR800. Does that sound like the same error you're getting?

Purchased ePub and PDF books transfer and open for me without a problem (I just double-checked several DRM purchases in both formats to be sure). Library loans worked before I installed the beta update. I've re-verified my Adobe ID as well as my time and date settings. Deactivating and reactivating did not correct the problem with opening borrowed books, nor did re-downloading a fresh copy of the book.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:49 PM   #5
nikkie
Guru

Talking

Aha - you are correct. You have to plug the reader in before opening ADE on OSX. This is not true on Windows. I never would have suspected this - I actually purposefully always open ADE first, because many applications will not initialize devices properly if they are opened *before* the software.

I am using the old firmware still; I want to wait to upgrade until they officially release it so that I don't make incompatible versions of notes and so forth. Also, I don't want to lose the cbr reader plugin from Kolenka that I installed.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:57 AM   #6
jm35
jm35 began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekchick View Post
... I'm not having any problems transferring books, but I just realized that I cannot open library loans with the Beta 2 firmware. The books seem to transfer normally, but they generate an error about invalid or expired license when I try to open them on the DR800. ...
This is a related thread with a solution for a similar problem: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79857
jm35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:59 PM   #7
trekchick
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm35 View Post
This is a related thread with a solution for a similar problem: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79857
Thanks for the link! Per the info in the other thread, I connected my de-activated DR800 to my MacBook and when I opened ADE, it gave me the option to activate via my computer.

Now library loans open as they should.