Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-12-2013, 02:40 PM   #1
odusto
odusto began at the beginning.

Device: none
Convert HTML to RTF with Page Breaks

I've been trying to convert HTML files to RTF to be edited in Word. I would like there to be page breaks at each page but have not been able to get Calibre to do so. This is what I'm working with. Any clues?

<pagenum page="normal" id="p6" smilref="Fudge_a_Mania00001.smil#p6">6</pagenum>
</level2>
<level2 id="level2_000004">
<h2 id="h2_000004">
<strong id="strong_000003" smilref="Fudge_a_Mania00001.smil#strong_000003">2</strong>
<span class="text" id="span_000019" smilref="Fudge_a_Mania00001.smil#span_000019">Pete and</span>
<span class="text" id="span_000020" smilref="Fudge_a_Mania00001.smil#span_000020">Farl ey</span>
</h2>
odusto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Why do you need to convert the files to rtf? Word can read and edit html files.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:25 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why not edit in Sigil and create an ePub that you can use as a source format?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #4
odusto

The objective is to turn Daisy books into large print paper books for visually impaired kids. I get the Daisy books from Bookshare that contain 10 files including XML, XSL, CSS and OPF. Since not all our kids can have eReaders I make them paper books from this in Word. Any ideas? The way I do it now is very time consuming and I know there must be a quicker way.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You could try using Calibre to convert to RTF and see how that goes.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #6
odusto

Calibre seems like a good option but I can't make it keep page breaks in Word. I thought maybe that was possible under Structure Detection when converting but I have had no luck. The output is a RTF with no page breaks.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:51 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by odusto View Post
Calibre seems like a good option but I can't make it keep page breaks in Word. I thought maybe that was possible under Structure Detection when converting but I have had no luck. The output is a RTF with no page breaks.
Isn't Structure detection more of an Input source function?

Did you try setting the 'Page Setup' to 'Generic' ?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:09 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odusto View Post
The output is a RTF with no page breaks.
If there's 'something' in the output RTF that indicates 'force new page here' eg

Code:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Then you could record a Word macro to convert it to a Page Break

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
If there's 'something' in the output RTF that indicates 'force new page here' eg

Code:

BR
That is a very good idea to add something to the source to indicate page breaks and then search/replace into a page break.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:44 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My assumption was that the 'something' comes via the input, and I hoped my conditional statement implied that, but let's be pedantically explicit

If there's 'something' in the output RTF that ORIGINATES FROM THE INPUT that indicates 'force new page here' eg a squiggly line

Code:

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:03 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
IIRC, there is no support for page breaks in the RTF output plugin (which is largely unmaintained anyway).
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:04 PM   #12
odusto

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

Code:

BR
This is a good idea. I will try to find something to do this. Thanks for the suggestion.